• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

q6600 OC

Caporegime
Well, obvious question I know, but are you still using "auto" for everything to get 3.6GHz, because 99% of the time that simply won't work.

FWIW, my board is DDR3 too, fully populated with 4 DIMMs.

Soldato
I used to run 3.6ghz constant on mine. OCZ platinum 4x1gb memory. at about 1.55 volts on H50 cooling and 2 x noctua P12s

It will run at that now but prime fails after 10 mins - I am using 2x2gb corsair memory now instead though thats 5-5-5-18

Running 3.4ghz at 1.42 volts, fully stable and quick enough for me (all options like eist, C1E etc on auto)

Associate
Well, obvious question I know, but are you still using "auto" for everything to get 3.6GHz, because 99% of the time that simply won't work.

FWIW, my board is DDR3 too, fully populated with 4 DIMMs.

Yeh I know I'll have to turn the voltage up, to get it to boot...1.5V just seems mega high :eek:

I'm gonna get a water cooler, as I've broken one of the pins on my freezer 7 (which maybe one of the main reasons why it was unstable even @ 3.5ghz), or i might just upgrade to 2500k, if I can get a decent motherboard + cpu bundle for approx £200. (Yeh im dreaming I know, but you never know :D)

At the moment, clocked it back down to 3.3ghz

Associate
Got my Q6600 sitting at 3.6ghz (400x9 @ 1.45v) and 4gb Geil black dragon memory at 1066mhz. (2.1v).

Using an akasa venom CPU cooler.

Temps are not too bad, idles at 40 ish and peaks at 65-70. Great considering I have Got this in a fractal define r3 with barely any airflow and all fans running at about 900rpm so nice a quiet. (Sythe GT's mind you ;))

Can I ask what board have you got that running on?

Associate
Hi,

And sorry to charge in on someone else's thread. But i'm currently trying to get my Q6600 to 3.2GHz. Well it is but the Ram setting is worring me...

Anyway i just need a little info on what would be the best settings to reach this but possibly without my RAM set at 855MHz. Like it is now.

My CPU Ratio Setting = 09.0
FSB Frequency = 356
DRAM Frequency = 855MHz (This is the bit that worries me as it is 800MHz Ram)

Is it possible to get the RAM frequncy lowered or will it me ok/safe at that?

By the way it is stable at these settings. Also here are my specs:

Asus P5Q-E
Q6600 G0 Stepping @ 3.21GHz (1.32v With a Tunic Tower 120 on it)
4Gb Corsair 800MHz DDR2 (2x 2Gb sticks)
Asus GTX 560 Direct CU 1GB
Coolermaster 700W PSU

Thank you in advance for any advice and like i said i'm sorry to barge in on onther thread but i didn't want to make a new one just for a little bit of advice.

EDIT: I have tried it with CPU Ratio Setting = 08.0 and FSB Frequency = 400 which would give me a DRAM Frequency of 801MHz but it reboots just as the Windows logo appears :(

EDIT 2: Ok so it seems it isn't stable. Just done a Prime95 test and it BSOD. I have it at 3.0GHz and it is perfectly stable in everything. I'd just like a little bit more and at the same time have my RAM nearer to it's Default speed. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Caporegime
With the RAM how it is, it will more than likely be fine, a little overclocking never did any harm ;)

Wouldn't be unreasonable to be able to get it up to around 960MHz with a bit of a voltage kick :)

As for your edits and crashing, it would seem that you need to adjust some of your system voltages to get stability at either 400x8 or 9x356. It's likely a chipset voltage that's causing the instability rather than RAM, but have a play with RAM, CPU, and chipset voltages, 400FSB is no "simple" task for most boards on stock voltages.

Associate
With the RAM how it is, it will more than likely be fine, a little overclocking never did any harm ;)

Wouldn't be unreasonable to be able to get it up to around 960MHz with a bit of a voltage kick :)

As for your edits and crashing, it would seem that you need to adjust some of your system voltages to get stability at either 400x8 or 9x356. It's likely a chipset voltage that's causing the instability rather than RAM, but have a play with RAM, CPU, and chipset voltages, 400FSB is no "simple" task for most boards on stock voltages.

Ok thank you.

Nice clear and simple advice there. Just the way i like things :)

Associate
Ive just changed from a p5qe/q6600 to my current system, unfortunately its allpacked away and im moving in a few days so havent got the time to unpack and check what my settings were for ya.
Off the top it sounds like you need to up the NB voltages a little. set the ram and cpu multi lower and see how far you can raise the FSB with voltage increments. Mine was good to about 490, but I had it around 425 for oc'd use. You may find the board has FSB holes at certain speeds, for eg mine had one ~460.

Also some ram ratios at certain fsb regions didnt like to play well together, so thats another aspect to bear in mind.

Soldato
Hi,

And sorry to charge in on someone else's thread. But i'm currently trying to get my Q6600 to 3.2GHz. Well it is but the Ram setting is worring me...

Anyway i just need a little info on what would be the best settings to reach this but possibly without my RAM set at 855MHz. Like it is now.

My CPU Ratio Setting = 09.0
FSB Frequency = 356
DRAM Frequency = 855MHz (This is the bit that worries me as it is 800MHz Ram)

Is it possible to get the RAM frequncy lowered or will it me ok/safe at that?

By the way it is stable at these settings. Also here are my specs:

Asus P5Q-E
Q6600 G0 Stepping @ 3.21GHz (1.32v With a Tunic Tower 120 on it)
4Gb Corsair 800MHz DDR2 (2x 2Gb sticks)
Asus GTX 560 Direct CU 1GB
Coolermaster 700W PSU

Thank you in advance for any advice and like i said i'm sorry to barge in on onther thread but i didn't want to make a new one just for a little bit of advice.

EDIT: I have tried it with CPU Ratio Setting = 08.0 and FSB Frequency = 400 which would give me a DRAM Frequency of 801MHz but it reboots just as the Windows logo appears :(

EDIT 2: Ok so it seems it isn't stable. Just done a Prime95 test and it BSOD. I have it at 3.0GHz and it is perfectly stable in everything. I'd just like a little bit more and at the same time have my RAM nearer to it's Default speed. Thanks again.

With the kit you've got 3.6GHz should easily be attainable. The P45 boards were considered the best for ocing core 2 quads.

Run your memory 1:1 ratio, FSB 400MHz (400x9=3.6GHz). This way you don't have to worry about overclocking your memory.

Manually adjust your memory voltage to 2.1 volts.

Bump the core voltage up little by little until stable.

Q6600s are fine up to 1.4v, just keep a check on temps.

I doubt very much whether you'll need to bother messing with the Northbridge voltages.

I had a Tuniq Tower cooling my Q6600, they're still a great cooler for skt 775 CPU's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom