• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

QA Consultants concludes that AMD has the most stable graphics driver in the industry.

Soldato
QA CONSULTANTS DETERMINES MOST STABLE GRAPHICS DRIVER IN THE INDUSTRY

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Date: July 16, 2018

Toronto, Ontario (July 16, 2018) – As independent third-party experts in the software quality assurance and testing industry for over 20 years, QA Consultants has conducted over 5,000+ mission-critical projects and has extensive testing experience and depth in various industries. Based in Toronto, Ontario, QA Consultants is the largest on-shore software quality assurance company, with a 30,000 sq. ft., industry-grade facility called The Test Factory™.

Commissioned by AMD, QA Consultants used Microsoft’s Windows Hardware Lab Kit (HLK) to conduct a 12-day head-to-head test comparing AMD and Nvidia graphics drivers. The test compared 12 GPU’s, six from AMD and six from NVIDIA, running on 12 identical machines. All machines were configured with Windows 10 April 2018 Update. Both gaming and professional GPUs were equally represented in the testing. After running for 12 days of 24-hour stress tests, the aggregate of AMD products passed 93% of the scheduled tests. The aggregate of NVIDIA products passed 82% of the scheduled tests.

Based on the results of testing the 12 GPUs, QA Consultants concludes that AMD has the most stable graphics driver in the industry. The detailed report can be found here.
https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/graphics-driver-quality.pdf

About QA Consultants

QA Consultants is the North American leader in software quality assurance and testing services. Having successfully delivered over 5,000 testing and consulting projects to a variety of sectors including automotive and transportation, advertising and marketing, banking and finance, construction, media and entertainment, US & Canadian Federal State and Local government, healthcare, insurance, retail, hospitality, and telecommunications.

The Test Factory™ is the next generation of software testing, providing a superior quality, cost and service alternative to offshore providers and external contractors. The centre can handle any testing project of any size, with any application and for any industry. With full-time employees in Toronto, Ottawa and Dallas, QA Consultants supports customers by providing testing services such as accessibility testing, agile testing, test automation, data testing, functional testing, integration testing, mobility testing, performance testing, and security testing. Along with engagement models like Managed Consulting Services and On Demand Testing™, QA Consultants is equipped to handle any client’s request.

Soldato
OP
What you guys think about this? For me AMD drivers over the past what is it now 4 years since the big change? Has gone from being second best in terms of features to performance to stability to beating the competition. I take Radeon Settings over Geforce any day.

Soldato
Weird, my pc passes 100% of the tasks I set it to do :)

I can not remember the last time my pc crashed anything, infact I think since installing windows 8.1 3 years ago I have never had a crash on anything I do, I am sure the same can be said for most Amd users too.

Permabanned
What you guys think about this?

I think AMD are on the (b)right path. They have clear advantages and should use them in their favour.
More solid drivers, better image quality, fine-wine, cheaper, higher performance in bitcoin, designed by the more honest company. This is a lot.

Caporegime
9bk4KqL.gif

But yup, give me AMD's drivers over nvidia's every day of the week!

Now just give me a card, which beats the competition and costs cheaper or at the very least, the same..... :o

Man of Honour
Problem with nVidia drivers - especially of late, you need experienced knowledge of which versions are and aren't stable (and sometimes some little tricks like unpacking the driver to remove some of the fluff) - especially the Windows 10 April 2018 Update hasn't been kind with MS and nVidia combination hah.

I pretty much bet if I ran the same tests on my gaming system it would be as stable as anything else you could find to compare against.

These days if you pick and choose the best possible driver out of those recent and available from both AMD and nVidia you'd probably get close to equal results in terms of stability.

If you just pick a random driver for each then AMD seems to have somewhat better consistency in terms of stability lately with nVidia having some quite dire drivers (as well as some better ones) that probably would struggle to get above 60% in those tests.

Soldato
OP
Weird, my pc passes 100% of the tasks I set it to do :)

I can not remember the last time my pc crashed anything, infact I think since installing windows 8.1 3 years ago I have never had a crash on anything I do, I am sure the same can be said for most Amd users too.

Same here :D but this isn't a single test. That wouldn't be a fair comparison.

Permabanned
AMD sponsored non-scientific test favours AMD... hmmmm... wonder why.

I don't see any root cause analysis for the recorded crashes... they seemed to generally focus on 1 or 2 GPUs or systems... that suggests to me there may be an alternate explanation, especially given the shared architectures of the GPUs... suggesting there may have been an alternate system issue... or even something like the VRAM of the 1050 was being flooded or something silly...

Man of Honour
that suggests to me there may be an alternate explanation, especially given the shared architectures of the GPUs

Yeah looking in the PDF I'm starting to think that - its strange how specific GPUs like the P600 are falling over for a pastime while another GPU on the same architecture and same drivers is holding up fine for the whole duration. Seems more indicative of hardware problems maybe.

Permabanned

They didn't sponsor it. They ordered it after some background, so this proof to be made public.
Ask nvidia to conduct a similar research - sadly for you, the results will be the same.
Unless nvidia fakes them - in which they are "good".

I don't see any root cause analysis for the recorded crashes...

Tell that to nvidia, it's their job.

Permabanned
Yeah looking in the PDF I'm starting to think that - its strange how specific GPUs like the P600 are falling over for a pastime while another GPU on the same architecture and same drivers is holding up fine for the whole duration. Seems more indicative of hardware problems maybe.

A proper QA / scientific analysis document will demonstrate the processed they followed to reach the conclusion... all I see here are assumptions and the repetition on the same devices for Nvidia of, like you say, the same architecture... indicates a system fault, rather than a driver failure... from first glance, but they don't give enough information to make an informed decision... indicative of an incomplete / poorly formed study.

Looking at AMD... the failures bounce around most of the cards at random times... that's more indicative of a driver-related crash.

Now, unlike the guys who made the PDF, I'm happy to state that the above are assumptions... even if they're based on years of fault finding experience, haha.

Permabanned

Yes, commissioned means "give an order for or authorize the production of (something such as a building, piece of equipment, or work of art)".

Permabanned
Yes, commissioned means "give an order for or authorize the production of (something such as a building, piece of equipment, or work of art)".

I love it when people try to pick pointless things apart and turn out to be wasting their time doing it... makes me giggle:

sponsor
verb
  1. 1.
    provide funds for (a project or activity or the person carrying it out).
    "Joe is being sponsored by a government training scheme"
    synonyms: finance, put up the money for, fund, subsidize, underwrite, back, promote, lend one's name to, be a patron of, act as guarantor of, support; More

Caporegime

AMD Paid for it, just accept it.

Expect to find a Nvidia commissioned report showing the opposite in a few months

Permabanned
I love it when people try to pick pointless things apart and turn out to be wasting their time doing it... makes me giggle:

Your English is very poor then. Commission and sponsor are two, very different verbs.
Sponsor means to give money in order to put your name there, to advertise.

AMD Paid for it

Yes, because if they didn't order it, it wouldn't have happened. Someone needs to find an initiative, after all.
And we all very well know that this survey just repeats what is broadly discussed in the discussion boards, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom