Quake champions

Soldato
I was never hugely into Quake, but this seems to play exactly as I remember!

Looks great too, and is silky smooth even on an ageing rig.

That said, I'm too old for this. Too fast and too relentless for me these days.
Can see this being huge in e-sports though.

Well impressed.

Soldato
Hearing people say how good and fast it is and comparing it to quake 3 makes me happy as i love all the quakes. Unfortunately it would also mean it has no hope in e-sports as people cant handle games like quake these days. If it actually takes a lot of skill then it will be inaccessilbe to the casual base which is unfortunately the only way into esports. If hundreds of thousands of people wont watch it because they cant just pick it up and do well (overwatch) then i worry for it.

At the same time i am looking forward to trying it now!

Man of Honour
Movement needs a tiny touch to make it as satisfying as Quake 3 - its fast and smooth as hell to be fair even with everything ramped to ultra and they seem to have taken some effort to make sure that ultra settings have as good visibility as lower settings so less reason to drop them unless you have a slow system.

I just jumped in first actual game playing - did 21 versus top player at 25 (who were higher ranked or whatever) and had least deaths, was pulling off loads of really nice air rockets, etc. had a blast and that was with not really having much figured out/setup properly.

Looks like skill wise it will scale nicely but not be inaccessible to casual players as well - found the cheeky voice overs, etc. kind of fun - overall I'm impressed.

Think I actually played better than my last serious quake live game - aim was a bit off especially due to needing to get the mouse settings tuned in a bit but seemed to be playing a bit better with regard to positioning and self preservation possibly due to being aware I had no idea what was going on :s 20 seconds in though bam back in the zone in terms of flow and so on.

EDIT: "Netcode" seemed pretty tight - though I had like 13ms latency so not really surprising - not like BF4 which is a shower of **** for me, was one player lagging a bit which occasionally made them hard to hit but nothing terrible - overall pretty consistent with good registry.

Associate
Yup that's what's happening mate. Apparently there will be a full version you can buy which permanently unlocks all champions etc.

Considering how impressed with the game I am so far I might pay the asking at say £29.99 if that was the price.

Oh thank god - cos microtransactions always lose me - feels like too much effort for a causal gaming experience. Loving this game though - is very nostalgic, although I remember being much better. It seems 20 years has made me very rusty indeed....or I am just getting older and slower :)

Is anyone else finding the graphics a bit weak? Doesn't impact the gaming experience at all but the style feels like they have just up-ressed the engine from the 90s.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah wasn't impressed by the quite flat and bright graphics look but I think they've done it that way somewhat on purpose so people will run ultra settings rather than just dump everything for visibility.

Soldato
Not finding this game too impressive but then my favourite quake is quake2

I think it might be ok for duels
Would be so much better without the extra bits they changed (eg: classic mode)

But then might as well install quakelive or whatever it's called? :(

The best thing going for it so far is that the fps seems stable (was expecting it to be buggy & unstable from experience of the quake4 release)

Back
Top Bottom