Quest 3 owners etc

Soldato
Had a play with a Quest 2 yesterday on DCS, made me feel a bit disorientated, probably should have gone in a bit softer but loaded it up, dropped into DCS and started buzzing about at tree level in a TF-51, once I started chucking it around it felt weird..
Then did a gun fight with a Tomcat in an SU33, I won and found it a lot easier to maintain situational awareness.

Oddly though, couldn't get the sound to come out through the headset..

I'll have a few more goes over the week and then see if I wanna buy the 3, it did take me a while to get the headset right where I needed it to be, but I understand that the 3 has flat lenses rather than the same style as the 2?

Soldato
OP
Had a play with a Quest 2 yesterday on DCS, made me feel a bit disorientated, probably should have gone in a bit softer but loaded it up, dropped into DCS and started buzzing about at tree level in a TF-51, once I started chucking it around it felt weird..
Then did a gun fight with a Tomcat in an SU33, I won and found it a lot easier to maintain situational awareness.

Oddly though, couldn't get the sound to come out through the headset..

I'll have a few more goes over the week and then see if I wanna buy the 3, it did take me a while to get the headset right where I needed it to be, but I understand that the 3 has flat lenses rather than the same style as the 2?

It has pancake lenses, which means the sweetspot is almost the full lense, as oppose to an area in the middle, vast improvement.

Sims are a tough way to go into VR, flight sims especially, best advice is stop when you feel ill, build your tolerance, rather than push through and start associating VR with sickness.

A fan blowing in your face, ginger before you start are two common methods used to try and stop it a bit.

Associate
Will prescription lenses from the Q2 fit the 3?

I had some fun with the 2 for a while, but the resolution/sweet spot was pretty poor once the honeymoon period wore off.

Soldato
No lenses, I do suffer from dry eyes that I've to use quite a lot of eye drops for, great bit of kit but just burned my eyes and has put me off the meta 3 tbh

If the air environment in the headset is too dry for your eyes it may be worth getting a halo type strap for the quest 3 and remove the facial interface, so the Q3 then hangs in front to your face exposing your eyes to the wider environment. Globular Cluster also do a headstrap that works like the Quest pro headstrap.

Soldato
seems unavailable according to the link,

BOBOVR S3 Pro Super Strap is prob a tad expensive? and on pre-order.

Yeah, it's currently unavailable on amazon, but as previously mentioned, most of the halo style straps can mimic the pro strap with the headset moved forward on the headstrap side arms and the facial interface removed. Even the cheap chinese ones.

Soldato
One caveat with the halo straps in open face mode is that the don't shade the top of the headset like the Pro headstrap does, so you get light leak from above. You can buy Pro style face pads on etsy, but I'd really like Globular Cluster or Bobo to make one that works with their halo straps. It is easily fixable though by placing one of the spare forehead pads in the gap.
The Q3 works really well though as an open-face headset with those straps. I now have the Globular Cluster magnetic facial interface and that's great as you can easily switch from open face to one of three different facial pad depending on what you're playing.

Soldato
One caveat with the halo straps in open face mode is that the don't shade the top of the headset like the Pro headstrap does, so you get light leak from above. You can buy Pro style face pads on etsy, but I'd really like Globular Cluster or Bobo to make one that works with their halo straps. It is easily fixable though by placing one of the spare forehead pads in the gap.
The Q3 works really well though as an open-face headset with those straps. I now have the Globular Cluster magnetic facial interface and that's great as you can easily switch from open face to one of three different facial pad depending on what you're playing.

Just nail a baseball cap peak to your forehead and you're good to go.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Does anyone get fog on their left lens?

Haven’t tested this much since buying in it (in fact barely used it for more than 5 mins to check it was all functional)

Happens with og facial interface as well as an aftermarket one, but is worse if use the light blocker for nose.

Seeing this as a deal breaker, feels like i have glaucoma

Soldato
q3 no, no fog, but not using a nose light blocker. im just using standard what meta shipped at moment. stock head strap & facial interface.
quest properly aligned?

Soldato
Does anyone get fog on their left lens?

Haven’t tested this much since buying in it (in fact barely used it for more than 5 mins to check it was all functional)

Happens with og facial interface as well as an aftermarket one, but is worse if use the light blocker for nose.

Seeing this as a deal breaker, feels like i have glaucoma

If you use your headset for more than five minutes, the electronics will warm up and stop the lenses from fogging.

Back
Top Bottom