Quiet cpu cooler for Ryzen 7 2700

Associate
I have just buit a mini ITX system using the Kolink Satellite Plus case - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kolink-satellite-plus-aluminium-micro-atx-case-black-ca-02f-kk.html

The stock AMD cooler is anoying as it ossilates and hums which, looking at reviews, is what others think.

Therefore afrer a replacement that quiet when the system is ticking over.

Max height, according to the blurb is 165mm

My initial though was somit like this - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nh-l9x65-low-profile-performance-cpu-cooler-hs-032-nc.html

I've head the advantage of blow down is cooling to the RAM

I want it to be furture proff because I know, at some point, I will play with overclcoking

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply

Yes, there is not a lot of info on the web. Kolink does not seem to have a website and I think Overcolcocker are their main supplier.

It has a 120mm rear exhauting fan and thats it (sorry no spec). However this vid does give you a better idea. Mine is the alloy base but the frame is the same. [edited]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBQI-FH8LrU This is very simialr to how mine is setup.

The mobo is Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming ITX

The Alpenfohn Matterhorn Pure does not say its compatible with AM4.

I have seen the H7 mention a few times and people seem to like it

Budget is about £50

Edit: Distance from CPU ctr to PCI is 70mm and to RAM is 45mm

My internet is very flakey at the mo but will try to upload some photos

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hmm interesting or maybe a can or worms :)

Out of interest where did you get the info on the Asrock Mobo?

The case has vents on all 4 sides if that helps?

Also the GPU does not get hammered as its not a gaming rig (I probably should have said that in my first post), its for photo and video editing, again if thats relevant.

However ignoring that from what your saying I maybe just better to stick with stock cooler and not overclcock

Associate
OP
Thank for for taking time with this, much appreciated.

When you say venting are you talking fans? There are vent holds in front of the case behid the front cover drawing air for a slot at the bottom of the cover.

Small tower cooler, you mean like the H7?

The rear fan is currently exhausting. If I reversed this would this help to supply fresh air to the tower cooler. BTW I liked to the wrong youtube vis but have now changed it. The guy did some tests near the end of the vid which were interesting

Last edited:
Associate
OP
No, venting does not need to have a fan in it to flow air .. but it does need a fan somewhere to create airflow to and through vents. Maybe the below link to how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow will be of interest.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

H7 is not much smaller than other coolers I suggested.
Interesting read.

You did mention the H7 in a previous post ;)

A cooloer I have looked at was the Noctua - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nh-u12s-se-am4-cpu-cooler-hs-03b-nc.html

Associate
OP
All the coolers being mentions look prety much the same.

Just rememebr, for me, the PC is very close to me so at idle or low ussage needs to be very quiet.

Another thought about cooling,. I am not adversed to adding a vent at the top of the case. I have a milling machine that will hand jobs like that :)

Also what if I got one of those tower coolers could I duct it to the back of the case where the cuttent fan is and relocate the rear fan?

Just thinking out aloud :)

Associate
OP
I thought you has forgotten you mentioned the H7 that all :)

Prob not be able to return the cae now but could sell on ebay.

Out of interest any reccomendation re case. Bear in mind I was looking for a smallish case as it sits on the desk

Associate
OP
I have decided I would prefer to work with the case I have as its the right size and I like it.

I did a CPUID CPU-Z stress test and with the case closed up the CPU got to 64.5deg. With the lid off it was 60.5deg. This was over a half hour time frame

I also did some video rendering. On average my video lengths are max 30 mins which take about 20min to render

EDIT: I looked at the wrong temps. I have adited the second paragraph with the proper temps

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Test with rear fan blowing in:

With lid on = 61.3c
With lid off = 61.5c

Interesting result.

I was going to try overclocking the CPU to 3.8 (don't want to gready) and run the voltage a 1.2v.

Obvoiusly doing this the GPU will not auto it frquency so instead of throttling it will just crash?

Associate
OP
Ryzen%20Temps.jpg

Ambient temp was 20c

CPU-Z Strees for 10mins

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I am going to splash the cash and get the Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4

I know it more than most but I have Noctua fans on my gaming PC and very happy with them.

I have also checked the excellent Noctua web site which confirms it will fit on my mobo.

Thanks again for your help.

Of course I will report back once fitted and run some more tests :)

I seem to have changed the font, what should it be and what size?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The string helped get the fan clip onto the heatsink :)

I decided not to try other was as I felt the airflow just looked wrong and more difficult to get out the air out

I am currently making a test lid with a fan blowing air in at the front although, I prob dont need it and the CPU will never be on full more than 20mins. However its an interesting project and costs nowt

Back
Top Bottom