Quiet fans

Associate
smaller fans are always going to be louder then big ones as they need to spin faster to move the air but if your changing from the same size then they will still be a fair bit quieter over stock ones.

Soldato
pabloB said:
Ok i'll have a look for those. The Stats I got were from a competitor (shame OCUK don't stock more fans :( ) so don't know if they are good or not :confused: This 120mm one I did buy is certainly very good.

I've got the 120mm xilence fan running atm. It's very good for the price! Also got a couple of ambers (haven't really used the 120mm yet, but the 92mm is brill).
After using a couple of TT fans I don't believe their noise specs anymore, they are not that quiet (the ones I have used...)

Soldato
Just been reading on the SPCR forums and apparently the silent CAT fans aren't all they're made ouyt to be.

Personally I'm going to be getting a Nexus 120mm seems to be a very reliable and quiet fan.

Man of Honour
/Amber

Recently got an Amber, and it's pushing more air than the 38mm thick fan on my Rad (I think it's Sanyo Denki) and is FAR quieter.

To me this makes no logical sense as 38mm fans should be quieter than a 25mm of the same RPM due to the depth... anyway no complaints as the amber seems to work a treat.

Man of Honour
TBH I find it hard to believe you can get quieter than an amber without losing considerable amounts of airflow. For flow:noise ratio I'd say Amber every time. (Cowers in a corner from Nexus lovers)

Soldato
Nexus fans are the best I find.

Looking at their fan specifications, you'd think the fans are rubbish compared to others. But thats because Nexus are telling the truth while others are telling porkies (cough! Silent X...)

One of the best things about Nexus fans is the noise, or rather lack of, from the fan chipset.

On a huge majority of fans you can hear an audiable whine. This is the noise of the chipset. Its even more annoying on so many labeled "Silent" fans where this is the main source of noise.

Another point relating to the chipset noise on the Nexus is that when you reduce the voltage to the fan, the whinning noise is non existant. With a lot of other fans this whinning is clearly heard, especially once the RPM of the fan has been reduced. I had a set of the quietest Noiseblocker fans that had this exact problem.

Associate
Mundu said:
Just been reading on the SPCR forums and apparently the silent CAT fans aren't all they're made ouyt to be.

Personally I'm going to be getting a Nexus 120mm seems to be a very reliable and quiet fan.

Read that myself after placing my order! Have cancelled it and will get some Akasa Ambers most likely. Currently running Enermax fans (replaced the noisy CoolerMaster fans that came with the case). Can't believe that Tt can get away with lying like that about the specs.

Associate
To me this makes no logical sense as 38mm fans should be quieter than a 25mm of the same RPM due to the depth

S'all to do with pitch of blades predominantly. 38mm fans, pitch of blades is deeper, thus more exposed face of blade to air, more air resistance to mechanics of the fan, thus more noise.

25mm fans = shallower pitch, slices the air cleaner, less resistance, producing less air noise.

Thinner / shallower the pitch of the blades, the quieter the noise generated.

The annoying motor/controller chipset "whine" is partially dependant on HOW you reduce fanspeed. A fan with it's speed reduced by PWM tends to generate a whine where the same fan done by good old-fashioned reducing of voltage (instead of PWM) doesn't whine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom