Quiet fans

Associate
Dirk said:
I wish a hardware review site would do the definitive benchtest on a wide range of fans to answer the questions once and for all. Wonder how many fans are louser/less efficient than the quoted figures?

AFAIK - the reason no sites do this definitive test is because of the cost. This is not exact but lets say normal equipment can detect noise down to 20DB. (i think this is ambient room noise) Anything under this figure will require REALLY expensive equipment (and a lab quiet room) So when a manufacturer thinks their fan is quieter than this figure then they just minus a few and make it up rather than going through the expensive process of testing it.

Associate
OP
Update,

Got hold of a nexus fan today - omg this thing is unbelievably quiet and push a fair amount of air. Nice result. It only seems to spin at 1150 max but it is silent. Result ;) . Got one of the new silentx ans whilst it is audible it does spin at a faster rate 1600RPM it pushes more air than the nexus.

FYI its the orange fan
Nexus 22.8dBA 120mm Fan Orange
The Nexus 120mm Real Silent Case Fan is the ultimate solution to bring some extra airflow in your quiet computer. Don't you just hate it when you have build a nice and quiet computer and it turns out that your high-end components are producing so much heat the temperatures in your computer case are getting too high? The Nexus Real Silent 120 mm case fan is the solution for you. It provides massive airflow your pc may require without being noticeable noise wise.

The Nexus 120mm Real Silent case fan is equipped with a double sided 4-pin power connector and a 3-pin motherboard connector. This allows you to connect the case fan directly to the power supply or to the motherboard.

The Nexus 120mm Real Silent case fan produces only 22.8 dB(A). This value is the result of numerous tests in an anechoic chamber following the highest standards. We have compared this case fan with the quietest case fans available and we simply cannot find another one this quiet!

Features: Real Silent, only 22.8 dB(A)
High airflow level, 36.87 CFM
3-wire for RPM monitoring
3-pin motherboard connector
two 4-pin connectors (male and female)
Approved by: TÜV, CE (EMC), UL

Specifications:

Model D12SL-12
Dimensions 120x120x25mm
Weight xx grams
Rated Voltage 12 Volts
Voltage Range 6.5 ~ 13.8 Volts
Input current 0.15 Amp Max
Input power 1.8 Watts Max
Rotation speed 1000 RPM
Acoustic noise 22.8 dB(A)
Airflow 36.87CFM
Operation temperature -10 to +65 C
Storage temperature -40 to +70 C

Associate
Dirk said:
I've become a noise masochist using YSTech fans on full speed 24/7. Great cooling and the wooshing helps get me to sleep :D

You have a 120x38mm YSTech mate?

I got one the other day, it makes masses of noise, but pushes loads of air :D Running it at 5v atm, as other family members complain about the noise and vibration produced on the wooden floor if I run it at 12v. I did attach it to my Aerogate but it couldn't keep the speed stable :(

Associate
I added one of those fan gaskets which really cuts out the vibrations transmitted to the case. It made a big difference although my pc still almost sucks me in whenever i get near it :)

Associate
Yateloon D12SL-12 F T W (Nexus is the same fan with a registor make it goes abit slower) !!!
got 3x120mm and 1x140mm in my case and they are dam silent, push lots of air too :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
If possible you really want to keep the intake side of the fan clear of any obstruction, with a distance of at least the width of the fan. These kind of fans are very sensitive to anything that creates turbulence on the intake side, and its the turbulence that creates a lot of the noise.
Id love to remove the dust filter but....

img38508fi.jpg

I have modded it slightly tho to increase the airflow slightly.

img41868fq.jpg

Ohh and poping the dust filter in the washing machine once a week also helps :o :D .

Mark

Back
Top Bottom