Quitting a Job Without Another

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yep quit as soon as if it is making you unhappy. With that much saved there's no worry about finances as far as I can see. Take some time off and pick up another role when a decent one presents itself - maybe with less hours and better conditions

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone. I've thrown my CV out to a few recruiters and managed to line up an interview for tomorrow morning with a big bank.

I am going to stick it out through Friday and so I can get my last pay slip and then call it a day.

Funny enough, I really enjoy IT, I wish I could switch to systems admin or programming or something but not sure how I could do that without going back to school.

Soldato
Going to echo what others have said, if you can actually afford to support yourself for that long then I would just leave and do something you want to. Go travelling for sure bud! How many people wish they were in the position to be able to do it and never did, don't be one of them. You wouldn't even spend a years worth of what you have saved up and could have something no job will ever give you. Go away, come back probably with a different perspective and then find more work. The gap MAY look bad, but you can just say you worked your ass off for x years in order to do something you always wanted to, see the world. I can't see any employer holding that against you, would be different if you quit and did nothing in that time.

Associate
If it was me, I would take a 6 month sabbatical to go travelling. Reflect on what you have achieved and what you want to do with your life. For many, PE is considered very close to the top of the pyramid and you I would think long and hard about leaving it for a 'big bank'. If you were to stay in PE, have you considered some of the firms that do impact investment in developing nations such as Actis? Might give you a bit more of the fulfilment you are looking for?

Associate
I personally wouldn't quit without having another role lined up, even if you have enough savings to last you five years, unless you're going to go travelling. Having a significant gap in your CV can make finding a job significantly more difficult. I think you'll be much more employable if you stay in your current job.

jkb

jkb

Associate
I quit my job because I was desperately unhappy with the company who bought the business I worked for. I had about 3 years money saved up and finally thought I've had enough so I quit. I had four job offers within a day from companies I worked with or competed against. I took six months non compete gardening leave and went to work for one of them. In general it isn't a good idea and you have to be really fed up to do it but I'm living proof it can work out ok.

Whatever you do I hope it works out for the best, I feel for you being so fed up that you are thinking of just quitting.

Associate
I quit my job without another lined up. Funnily enough yesterday actually.... Luckily enough I Have some money saved back only been out of Work a day and have a few interviews lined up next week and had plenty of other phone calls. I suppose it depends on the area you live in and if there are many roles available out there you could sign up for. Good luck with the interview! :)

Man of Honour
Wouldn't be in a hurry to quit - if you've got the money to make it through a couple of years or more just milk your current employer (the worst they can do is fire you and that should be possible to avoid) til you find somewhere else - I know it can be hard to just not care if you aren't that personality type but sometimes its what you have to do.

EDIT: Sometimes it can surprise you as well - I went into a meeting with an old boss prepared to quit so didn't pull any punches and suddenly they were jumping to keep me and making a load of changes - I still quit anyhow as I'd given them fair chance to turn it around on their own.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been in the situation of quitting spontaneously, I know the frustration. If you have the capital to quit then do it but don't take as long as I did to go after another job. I've not been able to get back into the only field I have qualifications to work in because of the time I spent out.

Soldato
Even with money behind me I wouldn't quit without finding a job. It's amazing how fast you can become in a rut and also how fast money goes. You may have 5 years saved up but then if something like your car broke or the boiler explodes and needs replacing, or any other unforeseen expense happens then you'll burn through the money.

Find a new job then quit. You'll be in a much more commanding position by having a job and then moving on rather than trying to find something from nothing as the employer will think they can pay you a lot less, etc.

They may well want to throw you under a bus at work but move to a position where they can't. Make sure you record everything for example. If you don't like them then don't interact with them above what is necessary.

Good luck.

M.

Soldato
bit different but i quit a job to come down to cornwall ,bought a house for cash and had very little left ,tried commuting from leeds and living at parents while i worked but was a little far !
sometimes you need to leave the comfort zone

Soldato
To quit looks better on your resume than being fired.

I'd advise getting a job elsewhere first though if it is a difficult market to get into especially if it requires you to be up to date with the market.

I just took redundancy in my job and I have enough money to live for a couple of years too so I went back college. I've got lots of back-up plans and that's the important bit - have a back-up plan if it doesn't wok exactly how you want.

Soldato
I was miserable in a job once and left without another lined up - the wife covered the bills and I got a new one within 3 months, wasn't an issue.

Soldato
enough money to get by for 5 years.

Do you actually own a house yet? If the answer is yes and you still have enough money to get you by for 5 years then go for it and quit your job, and take your time finding a new one.

If you don't have a house yet then I would strongly suggest not spending your savings just to get by while you job hunt, and do what other people have said and take phantom sick days after interviews have been lined up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom