• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Soldato
Bought a Sapphire reference on released and have yet to take a picture and post it in this thread, what am i doing with my life?!

New camera arrives tomorrow hopefully, so you might see some out of focus dusty shots coming from my way.

Was wondering if people who clock and bench their 290p/x's could check (and post) their Asic value too. I see so many claims that it leads to better clocking or higher benching but in truth, i have yet to see evidence that show it is a significant factor in clocking or benching. Sure many of these cards show a lower stock voltage but i'd rather see the effect of a good asic value on high clocked voltage over stock.

Man of Honour
OP
Bought a Sapphire reference on released and have yet to take a picture and post it in this thread, what am i doing with my life?!

New camera arrives tomorrow hopefully, so you might see some out of focus dusty shots coming from my way.

Was wondering if people who clock and bench their 290p/x's could check (and post) their Asic value too. I see so many claims that it leads to better clocking or higher benching but in truth, i have yet to see evidence that show it is a significant factor in clocking or benching. Sure many of these cards show a lower stock voltage but i'd rather see the effect of a good asic value on high clocked voltage over stock.

My Asic values

I don't know why I have the best one in slot 4.:D

jVwl6wn.jpg

Associate
Cheers let me know what you think as there is no official reviews but I did read a lot about it on toms hardware

As promised here are my first impressions:

- It is a beast! Long, thick, heavy, with a nice back plate,... definitely feels like quality
- Hynix memory
- ASIC quality 82.5% (for what it's worth)
- Excellent cooling capability, run a few benchmark sessions and the card never went above 67°C!
- Default fan curve way too aggressive to my liking, why 57% fan speed when the card only reaches 67°C? I'm currently setting up a manual fan curve using MSI Afterburner, currently I've set the fan speed to never exceed 48% and so far my benchmarks did not push the card higher than 70°C. Need further tweaking as I want to have the card as silent as possible on load.
- Zero noise on idle with good températures (38-39°C)
- No GPU throttling

Need to spend some more time with it but so far I'm happy with it. Definitely a better built/designed card compared to my Gigabyte 290 OC Windforce.

Last edited:
Soldato
As promised here are my first impressions:

- It is a beast! Long, thick, heavy, with a nice back plate,... definitely feels like quality
- Hynix memory
- ASIC quality 82.5% (for what it's worth)
- Excellent cooling capability, run a few benchmark sessions and the card never went above 67°C!
- Default fan curve way too aggressive to my liking, why 57% fan speed when the card only reaches 67°C? I'm currently setting up a manual fan curve using MSI Afterburner, currently I've set the fan speed to never exceed 48°C and so far my benchmarks did not push the card higher than 71°C. Need further tweaking as I want to have the card as silent as possible on load.
- Zero noise on idle with good températures (38-39°C)
- No GPU throttling

Need to spend some more time with it but so far I'm happy with it. Definitely a better built/designed card compared to my Gigabyte 290 OC Windforce.
What sort of RPM are the fans spinning at @57%?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

For what it's worth I have two 7770's that I crossfired and mine on. The one that you think would be poor (XFX) has a low ASIC quality yet performs way better than the cherry picked MSI Power edition that is factory overclocked and has way higher ASIC.

Mining with them the XFX rock solid 183 kh/s whilst the MSI returns the odd hardware error and only manages 160 kh/s with similar settings.

Soldato
My Asic values

I don't know why I have the best one in slot 4.:D

jVwl6wn.jpg

Awesome, thanks kaap!. How do they bench individually with the other slots turned off and at the same clocks?

With the same hardware and cooling, might be easier to discern if Asic quality has an effect. No need to actually bench them separately again, i am sure you have done that and probably know what order they come if there is a difference between them.

Mine is showing at 77.8% but am only scoring around 306x in Valley with my 4770k clocked up and the GPU at 1281/1560, with other people scoring much higher at lower GPU clocks.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP

Awesome, thanks kaap!. How do they bench individually with the other slots turned off and at the same clocks?

With the same hardware and cooling, might be easier to discern if Asic quality has an effect. No need to actually bench them separately again, i am sure you have done that and probably know what order they come if there is a difference between them.

I did bench them separately on air and they were all about the same so I was not too fussy what order they were installed in. They were all good for over 1200/1625 on air.

Soldato
Whats the situation with voltage increases on 290 / 290x. Max I can set at the moment is + 100mv, running what I believe to the Asus 290x Bios (Whatever overclockers put on, they were pre flashed). On water so temps are no problem.

Soldato
Whats the situation with voltage increases on 290 / 290x. Max I can set at the moment is + 100mv, running what I believe to the Asus 290x Bios (Whatever overclockers put on, they were pre flashed). On water so temps are no problem.

I think you are in a different bios, as i thought Asus bios doesn't like Afterburner which gives the +100mv option.

Sapphire Trixx lets you hit +200mv. If you are on Asus, i thought Asus gpu tweak lets you go a fair bit higher.

Back
Top Bottom