• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Did you have MSI VGA Fan Control open? That causes problems with mine and I believe that was responsible for the death of my previous one.

GPU-Z, MSI VGA Fan Control and 3DMark open = VRAM voltages/temps become random numbers. Close fan control and it goes back to normal. Pre-RMA I had been using MSI VGA Fan Control to monitor while running benchmarks, started out with black screens then eventually damaged VRAM stopped my system booting.
Black screen crashed once with the replacement card then I managed to figure out what was causing the problem. No further problems since I stopped opening that program.

Are you talking about this (Pic) or a different application?

With my last GPU OSD was giving me odd inaccurate vRam speed readings, it had been for the last several BETA's. its ok on the 290.

Would you advise i stop using it?

Are you talking about this (Pic) or a different application?

With my last GPU OSD was giving me odd inaccurate vRam speed readings, it had been for the last several BETA's. its ok on the 290.

Would you advise i stop using it?

He's talking about another application. Keep using what you're using now, its fine :D

Re-enabling and disabling PP in AB fixed it.

Performance is pretty decent for one card, although it falls a little short of the mark games like AC4 at 1440P. No different to my reference Ti though.

One thing I've always noticed with AMD (was the same on the Tahiti) is that the shaders look slightly better. Couldn't tell you how or why but they definitely do as I notice it almost every time I've switched from one to the other! Besides the driver niggles along the way and the erratic inconsistent overclocking - the card is a brute.

Look forward to seeing what it can do on water. Have taken it out for now - mainly because in my bored state I was sorely tempted to try 1.55v to round it off at 1300 :D. Where as I actually believe this cooler would-actually-take 1.6v if you have the case for it, I'd rather not try :D.

Temps need to come down to get the clocks stable, but the card would be fine with it!

Did you have MSI VGA Fan Control open? That causes problems with mine and I believe that was responsible for the death of my previous one.

GPU-Z, MSI VGA Fan Control and 3DMark open = VRAM voltages/temps become random numbers. Close fan control and it goes back to normal. Pre-RMA I had been using MSI VGA Fan Control to monitor while running benchmarks, started out with black screens then eventually damaged VRAM stopped my system booting.
Black screen crashed once with the replacement card then I managed to figure out what was causing the problem. No further problems since I stopped opening that program.

Nope, just AB mate. I managed to get two cards that black screen at stock.

Re-enabling and disabling PP in AB fixed it.

Performance is pretty decent for one card, although it falls a little short of the mark games like AC4 at 1440P. No different to my reference Ti though.

One thing I've always noticed with AMD (was the same on the Tahiti) is that the shaders look slightly better. Couldn't tell you how or why but they definitely do as I notice it almost every time I've switched from one to the other! Besides the driver niggles along the way and the erratic inconsistent overclocking - the card is a brute.

Look forward to seeing what it can do on water. Have taken it out for now - mainly because in my bored state I was sorely tempted to try 1.55v to round it off at 1300 :D. Where as I actually believe this cooler would-actually-take 1.6v if you have the case for it, I'd rather not try :D.

Temps need to come down to get the clocks stable, but the card would be fine with it!

The lightning is inconsistent, not the ref ones ;)

They all do outside of here. I don't see the point.

1.472v for 4.8 lol. That's one way of denying having a naff Ivy-e :D

Not only that but that RAM is so pointless for Firestrike.

Same CPU frequency 2200CL8

YkLBp0Y.jpg

Last edited:
8qlY2.jpg

Tell me you dont like it, and i will burn your GK110 because only GK110 owners dont like my rig :D

Back
Top Bottom