• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Soldato
I've got the max fan speed at 100%, i don't mind the noise upto around 80% with headphones on, doesn't bother me, but the heat expelled into my little games room is crazy lol.

Kaaps i keep the window open too, i guess it doesn't help that it's been pretty hot lately with little in the way of wind.

Yeah I have max fan at 100%. The max fanspeed I've seen is 51% on the top card. I'm only running at 1000Mhz though.

Soldato
Was playing BF Hardline beta last night. After about 30mins I noticed I was experiencing some kind of seizure I thought maybe a heart attack? Feeling that I was losing consciousness.. I stopped playing and then realized that the temperature in the room was similar to what I imagine standing on the edge of mount doom would be like. Or as if I had spent time traversing the blistering heat in the Sahara desert. After drinking some (Much needed at this point) water and opening several windows, I came to this conclusion.

I think I may have to go back down to a single card..

Plz god bring 20nm out soon..

Associate
The noise from my reference cards is just unbelievable. The fans in crossfire 290s have to go up to 80% to stop them throttling. The noise at that point is so loud that my headphones can't even stop it. Anyone got any ideas for what I can do in terms of third party coolers or something? This is intolerable, I have no idea how they sold the cards in this condition.

Caporegime
Was playing BF Hardline beta last night. After about 30mins I noticed I was experiencing some kind of seizure I thought maybe a heart attack? Feeling that I was losing consciousness.. I stopped playing and then realized that the temperature in the room was similar to what I imagine standing on the edge of mount doom would be like. Or as if I had spent time traversing the blistering heat in the Sahara desert. After drinking some (Much needed at this point) water and opening several windows, I came to this conclusion.

I think I may have to go back down to a single card..

Plz god bring 20nm out soon..

Lol!

Yep 290 crossfire can heat your room up pretty good :D

:D

The noise from my reference cards is just unbelievable. The fans in crossfire 290s have to go up to 80% to stop them throttling. The noise at that point is so loud that my headphones can't even stop it. Anyone got any ideas for what I can do in terms of third party coolers or something? This is intolerable, I have no idea how they sold the cards in this condition.

Wow 80%? That's nuts. Mine never go past 55-60% and i have two in crossfire. Got a pic of your setup? I'd recommend undervolting your cards with afterburner. I run negative voltage values while overclocked to keep temps down. Might be worth changing the paste on the gpu's and looking to improve your case airflow.

Associate
Wow 80%? That's nuts. Mine never go past 55-60% and i have two in crossfire. Got a pic of your setup? I'd recommend undervolting your cards with afterburner. I run negative voltage values while overclocked to keep temps down. Might be worth changing the paste on the gpu's and looking to improve your case airflow.

Well it's like 30C in the netherlands recently where I live, which doesn't help. The airflow should be OK since I have a HAF X case and quite a few fans.

Caporegime
Well it's like 30C in the netherlands recently where I live, which doesn't help. The airflow should be OK since I have a HAF X case and quite a few fans.

Furry muff well start undervolting your cards then. Do you have reference cards i presume? Lots of front and side intake fans and lots of top and rear exhaust fans is the order of the day. You can also remove any pci brackets from your case to allow the cards more air to breathe.

Associate
Furry muff well start undervolting your cards then. Do you have reference cards i presume? Lots of front and side intake fans and lots of top and rear exhaust fans is the order of the day. You can also remove any pci brackets from your case to allow the cards more air to breathe.

Yeah I realised that my side panel fan has not been plugged in ever since I changed my mobo, so I found a molex adapter and got that connected. That pretty much lowered the fan on the top card back down to about 65% maximum instead of 75-80%, which is much quieter tbh. There is a large gap between the cards, but the top one still becomes way hotter as there is a sata controller card above it, and below the bottom card is my soundcard as well.
For now the side intake fan helped a lot but I wonder if anything else can help reduce the temps.

Caporegime
Yeah I realised that my side panel fan has not been plugged in ever since I changed my mobo, so I found a molex adapter and got that connected. That pretty much lowered the fan on the top card back down to about 65% maximum instead of 75-80%, which is much quieter tbh. There is a large gap between the cards, but the top one still becomes way hotter as there is a sata controller card above it, and below the bottom card is my soundcard as well.
For now the side intake fan helped a lot but I wonder if anything else can help reduce the temps.

One card may run hotter than the other. Test and run the coolest one on top. Remove those spare pci brackets. Add as many front intakes in front of the gpu's as you can, making sure there is a nice gap between the cards for all the hot air to be forced out the rear.

Back
Top Bottom