• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Soldato
One thing to keep in mind Matt when you go X99 (I think you said you were, maybe when Freesync is out do a big upgrade?), is to get a motherboard with the same PCI-e spacing options. Unless you have a board with a PCI-e where the RIVE's black slot is it could mean that at least 2 of the cards will be right next to each other, which I can't imagine will help with the temps. Think Asus have a couple of £300 boards that will do it though.

Soldato
I looked at getting the PowerColor Devil 13 290X X2 that's currently on offer, but checked a few reviews and it's apparently louder than the 6990 :p
I find that hard to believe, but most of the reviews report the same.

Soldato
im pretty sure Nvidia/AMD will be updating with x99 just to be the first

imagine if X launched it first. They will be shoving down the other throat. Even if it makes 0.00001% difference its PR

Man of Honour
OP
im pretty sure Nvidia/AMD will be updating with x99 just to be the first

imagine if X launched it first. They will be shoving down the other throat. Even if it makes 0.00001% difference its PR

I think the idea of having 5 slots is more to do with using the extra card for physics or some other task.

As for going beyond 4 way GPU setups both AMD and NVidia could do it easy if they wanted to. All you need is three dual GPU cards and you could have 6 way but neither AMD or NV have chosen to go that way and I can not see it happening on X99.

Another thing against it is the X99 platform itself, it is the worst overclocking setup I have seen for a long time and would bottleneck 3 cards let alone 5.

Caporegime
I looked at getting the PowerColor Devil 13 290X X2 that's currently on offer, but checked a few reviews and it's apparently louder than the 6990 :p
I find that hard to believe, but most of the reviews report the same.

That's odd as the 6990 was only reference design wasn't it? I'm surprised the price of that 295x2 has come down so much. If it was me I'd be going for the AIO version and sticking some Noctua Industrials on the rad.

Soldato
That's odd as the 6990 was only reference design wasn't it? I'm surprised the price of that 295x2 has come down so much. If it was me I'd be going for the AIO version and sticking some Noctua Industrials on the rad.

Yeah it was a little blower fan in the middle. Crazy loud. As loud as two 290s.

Soldato
has anyone bought a powercolor 290x PCS+ recently? because i would like to know if the under performing issue has been fixed.

if it has been fixed, i'll put the original bios back on my card then rma it.

Associate
So I finally got round to upgrading my rig with a complete new build which now allows me to be a legitimate poster in the 290x owners thread.

I have all the parts but can't build until I return back to the UK next week :(

Anyway the new build will be:

Phanteks Enthoo Primo
i7-4790k
MSi Z97 Gaming 9 AC
16Gb (2x8) Kingston HyperX 2400Mhz
2 x 4Gb MSi R9 290x
Superflower 1000w Platinum 80+
Monitor - Cannot decide for the life of me :confused:

Any hints/tips/advice/avoidance's/must do's etc prior to throwing the 290x's in?

I'm thinking I can run them on with the twin frozr coolers for the time being until I can afford a decent upgrade to the custom loop on the CPU and I can place them in slots 1 and 3 to minimise heat on the top card, the mobo has quite large spacing as it is so shouldn't see extreme temperatures.

Any nuggets of information will be much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom