• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Hmmmmmm, seems my mantle judder is related to resolution somehow.

Tried dropping to 1080p from my native 3840x2160, and smooth as silk.

Running 1080p and setting resolution scaling to 200% introduces it again.

Around 175%, it's pretty much ok, with maybe occasional juddering.

Lol, yes I had noticed, but quite a few seem to have JUST made the switch from what I'm reading, so I was hoping to see some rave reviews. Yet to appear though... but then as we all know, people mostly come online to complain and moan about things NOT working, rather than say how brilliant they are. :rolleyes:

I'm thrilled with my 290x! Yes it gets a little hot and slightly audible but it laps up TR etc!

Hmmmmmm, seems my mantle judder is related to resolution somehow.

Tried dropping to 1080p from my native 3840x2160, and smooth as silk.

Running 1080p and setting resolution scaling to 200% introduces it again.

Around 175%, it's pretty much ok, with maybe occasional juddering.

Good info eye. Can i suggest you try fiddling with the frame pacing and see if any of the below settings has an effect?

RenderDevice.FramePacingMethod 2
RenderDevice.FramePacingMethod 1
RenderDevice.FramePacingMethod 0

1 is stock.

Tried those last night and made no diff

Also tried enabling or disabling through control panel, and no diff.

Tried a custom resolution of 3840x1634 (21:9) and was much better again.

So, almost certainly down to resolution somehow.

And should not be a memory issue with 8gb cards, and men usage in game never went over around 5.3 depending on settings

Bigger case I think mate, there's a lot of decent air cooled cases that should make a difference.

Water cooling is great, but expensive. And effort. I know you're lazy, so just get a better case.

I've put the two 970's back in.
I've gone from 22fps to 110fps on FarCry.
Tomb Raider up to avg 142fps
BF4 has gone from 72fps up to about 105fps.
Both cards sitting at 62 degrees.

I think I'll be sending the 290x's back. I'll keep the 970's and just put off the monitor upgrade for a few months till I save up for two 980's or see what the new AMD stuff is like.

I think I'll be sending the 290x's back. I'll keep the 970's and just put off the monitor upgrade for a few months till I save up for two 980's or see what the new AMD stuff is like.

Well that's big differences seems the 290x is supposed be a tiny bit better than the 970. Did you use ddu

Something definitely not right here. If your situation was typical, we'd be seeing a scandal akin to the 970 one lol! Try each card independently, and double check all trace of 970 drivers is deleted from your system. You could also try re-formatting. Sounds drastic I know, but if a complete re-install of everything doesn't work, then there's something wrong with the cards. This has to be unique, and there is a cause somewhere, software or hardware.

Last edited:
The thing is. I want to use the computer for things I want to do. Swapping out graphics cards, un-installing and reinstalling drivers. Rebuilding windows etc etc is not really appealing as I do that all day every day in my job.
That's the last thing I want to do when I get home.

You won't get all your money back sending the 290X's back, whereas you will with the 970's.

Rebuild doesn't take long, when was the last time you did one?

Just to ask here as well. After I installed my 290X Lightning (I had a 280X before which now works fine on my second machine) my computer has the infamous PC can't wake up from sleep problem. For me it appears not only when the monitor gets turned off but also when the computer sleeps and when I put it to sleep manually. I have read numerous suggestions for possible solutions and causes none of which were helpful. I want to ask here so I can be 100% certain there is no solution as of today.
Thanks in advance.

Probably best to do for you but rest assured the problems you are having apart from FarCry4 is down to user error. FarCry4 crossfire support is incoming also.

Somebody above recommended a fresh install of your OS but if that's too much hassle and you'd rather just game, keep the 970s.

I played the new battlefield beta last night and was up around 100fps for most of the time with a single 290x. The same also applies with Tomb Raider. Something is wrong with your setup there!

Back
Top Bottom