• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Des did say to me on Skype last night that he is getting lower FPS than other people in the benchmark threads in Tomb Raider, and felt as if something isn't right.

i noticed cod aw was a bit off and cs go was a bit jittery and i played that foe ages without problems on 2 differnt 290's and 2 290x, fresh windows install i think to make sure all the nvidia stuff is cleard off

i noticed cod aw was a bit off and cs go was a bit jittery and i played that foe ages without problems on 2 differnt 290's and 2 290x, fresh windows install i think to make sure all the nvidia stuff is cleard off

I did similar. 290's in xfire to 970's in sli to 290x's in crossfire,and like you, am going to try and get around to reinstalling windows shortly.

Have not tried many games to be honest, but what is odd is that both bf4 and dragon age were quite smooth when I tried them initially in mantle, but then became quite juddery - but not like microstutter.

DX11 seems fine.

So yeah, full clean up in order I think to see what going on.

Nope. But I'm guessing that was quite apparent :)
Lol, yes I had noticed, but quite a few seem to have JUST made the switch from what I'm reading, so I was hoping to see some rave reviews. Yet to appear though... but then as we all know, people mostly come online to complain and moan about things NOT working, rather than say how brilliant they are. :rolleyes:

I'd hazard that my 290x's are about 5% slower but run 30% hotter.
It's the odd things like sometimes only using one GPU that are annoying me.

My options seem to be this:-

Buy a better (bigger) case.
Water cool the cards. Would also require a new case. As well as the water cooling.

Bite the bullet and buy a 980 (or two :D )

Water cool the cards. Would also require a new case. As well as the water cooling.

or, dont RMA your 970s :D

Bigger case I think mate, there's a lot of decent air cooled cases that should make a difference.

Water cooling is great, but expensive. And effort. I know you're lazy, so just get a better case.

Back
Top Bottom