• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

hi peeps, i have managed to bag a r9 290x vapour x 8gb dirt cheap. Its currently rock stable at 1150/1700 150 volt settings in trixx (1.35+) just wondering is it safe to clock the mem further, vrm temps are both sit even at 56c max, core 72c max, Hynix mem vendor.

cheers

Why would you want to push the memory further than what's already stupidly high. Your bandwidth must be scarily high already. Very nice memory indeed.

pure curiosity :)

At the stage your at I would push it up by increments of 10 and bench firestrike. If your scores keep on improving you are fine and if you start losing score it means memory correction has kicked in and you have reached your limit. Personally I don't think you have much to gain from it though. I would concentrate more on the core if it's gains you are after.

How much is dirt cheap?

you really want to know??? ok here goes £252 quid original box and all the accessories gpu itself has never been touch no dust nothing. I was very lucky to get my hands on it, and made the decision to go for it within 5mins, originally i was waiting for 300x series of cards to come out, however i just know for future proofing with 8gb i would not get a card within this price range. I shall xfire later down the road or if the price is right sell it n jump on the 300x wagon :)

you really want to know??? ok here goes £252 quid original box and all the accessories gpu itself has never been touch no dust nothing. I was very lucky to get my hands on it, and made the decision to go for it within 5mins, originally i was waiting for 300x series of cards to come out, however i just know for future proofing with 8gb i would not get a card within this price range. I shall xfire later down the road or if the price is right sell it n jump on the 300x wagon :)

Good choice

At the stage your at I would push it up by increments of 10 and bench firestrike. If your scores keep on improving you are fine and if you start losing score it means memory correction has kicked in and you have reached your limit. Personally I don't think you have much to gain from it though. I would concentrate more on the core if it's gains you are after.

tbh the core is a pain to oc, i'll have to max out sapphire trixx (200 VDDC) which i think is abit high, is it safe? So yeah just want to know what this card can do, i will defo try this method and see if scores increase or decrease cheers.

Last edited:
Sorry.

Don't get them, they're awful...

:)

I've just ordered a Sapphire 290X Tri-X 4GB card. I'm building my very first rig as I've never gamed on a PC before.

Would I benefit from one of these or will this 3 fans thing with mine work? I don't understand what reference means etc. Sorry for nooob points.

How many of you have gone from a 970 to a 290X and have been happy with it? :confused:

So far, after a re-install of windows, I am very happy - though I went from 2 x 970 to 3 x 290x 8gb.

Only had a chance to test bf4 and dragon age with mantle though...

Will hopefully have a little bit of time to give elite a quick test tonight, and maybe Titanfall.

I've just ordered a Sapphire 290X Tri-X 4GB card. I'm building my very first rig as I've never gamed on a PC before.

Would I benefit from one of these or will this 3 fans thing with mine work? I don't understand what reference means etc. Sorry for nooob points.

Ignore the h10 and whatnot the saphire tri-x cooling is very good and quiet. If you require more cooling either use catalyst control panel or afterburner to up the fan speed until your happy with the cooling/noise balance.

Enjoy the card and PC gaming. :)

This is a 'reference' cooler

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-359-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1752

While it works it runs the card at 95C and is very load at doing it. The tri-X is a good 20C cooler and much quieter.

Last edited:
Few question's for you 290X Owners.

Sorry if it has been covered.

Currently game at 1080p and will be upgrading to a 1440P monitor when funds allow.

Unfortunately the 980 over my current 970 is not enough of an upgrade for in my case what would be £150.

More than happy with my 970 in most cases but I have maxed out the 3.5Vram and noticed GPU usage dropping and even in various games I do notice this card has occasional stutters where the GPU usage fluctuates only occasionally though I'm running a 4690K so I don't believe this is down to CPU limitation.

So it come's down to the 290X I am aware the card is just behind the 970 at 1080p but that isn't an issue. Now what I am struggling with is whether to go with the 4GB version or the 8GB version. I won't be looking to Crossfire these cards due to power and heat it will be more using the card until a better alternative for MY preference. (Not wanting to start a war) Will I notice a performance difference between the cards in both situations 1080p and 1440p? My concern is even if let's say in over a years time the 8GB of VRAM is required surely to pretty much max out games the GPU wouldn't be powerful enough either way?

Will be going for an MSI version due to my current Black and Red theme and after seeing some reviews the Twin Frozer keeps the card 70/75c underload which is only 10c hotter than my current 970.

Hoping to order in the next hour to ensure it arrives tomorrow.

EDIT: Ordered myself MSI Radeon R9 290X LE Gaming Edition 4096MB

£5 cheaper over my MSI 970 I managed to get for £265.

Thanks Relentless, That will most likely be my upgrade method when and if necessary.

Last edited:
My 290x reference I few frames behind my old 970 g1 in 1080p but honestly my eye balls cant tell the difference, I bought a reference card with 4gb and the stuttering I was getting in The Crew is now gone

The 290x I've read multiple times is better at higher resolutions than the 970, this was before the memory issue and surely the reason for this is because the higher resolution was exposing the 970's weak point

My plan was 4gb 290x for now, upgrade to a 1440p monitor in a few months and then buy an AMD 3xx 8gb when they've been out a month or so

Back
Top Bottom