• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

My Gigabyte 290x "BF4 Edition" reinstalled after returning my 970sli and upgraded with a nice HG10 / H75 cooler.

oOrEuEw.jpg

Cabling needs tidying up, but tbh I was more interested in firing it up and seeing the difference in temps and I'm looking at getting a new case soon anyway.

With the new cooling its now idling ~28c down from ~50c and getting to between 50 and 60c at load down from 95c plus, which is nice. Doesn't seem to be as noisy either, not that it bothered me much before the change of cooler.

And on the "Roll of Honour".:)

My Gigabyte 290x "BF4 Edition" reinstalled after returning my 970sli and upgraded with a nice HG10 / H75 cooler.

oOrEuEw.jpg

Cabling needs tidying up, but tbh I was more interested in firing it up and seeing the difference in temps and I'm looking at getting a new case soon anyway.

With the new cooling its now idling ~28c down from ~50c and getting to between 50 and 60c at load down from 95c plus, which is nice. Doesn't seem to be as noisy either, not that it bothered me much before the change of cooler.

Nice, what overclocks you getting?

I tried it initially. Although, I did go straight to the beta after the rebuild.
I'll give it a go.

OK its just that in the release notes for 14.12 Omega driver there is something about frame pacing :) worth a try ..

Frame Pacing Enhancements for AMD Dual Graphics:
Includes enhancements for
Metro 2033
World of Warcraft
3DMark 11
Sniper Elite V2
Tomb Raider
Hitman: Absolution
GRID 2
Alien: Isolation
Batman: Arkham Origins
BioShock: Infinite
Unigine Valley Benchmark
Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Metro 2033 Redux
Sniper Elite 3
Assassin's Creed Unity
Metro: Last Light

AMD CrossFire™ Frame Pacing improvements:
Designed to reduce stuttering from graphics memory intensive applications: Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution, Watch Dogs, Far Cry 3

Does a backplate serve any purpose other than cosmetic?

I'm thinking of getting a couple of backplates for my 290s with HG10s.

They help stop cards sagging under their weight/length ie takes pressure off the PCIe slot, as well as looking cool. Just make sure you've got space, as some big CPU coolers may foul a card with a back plate.

OK its just that in the release notes for 14.12 Omega driver there is something about frame pacing :) worth a try ..

Frame Pacing Enhancements for AMD Dual Graphics:
Includes enhancements for
Metro 2033
World of Warcraft
3DMark 11
Sniper Elite V2
Tomb Raider
Hitman: Absolution
GRID 2
Alien: Isolation
Batman: Arkham Origins
BioShock: Infinite
Unigine Valley Benchmark
Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Metro 2033 Redux
Sniper Elite 3
Assassin's Creed Unity
Metro: Last Light

AMD CrossFire™ Frame Pacing improvements:
Designed to reduce stuttering from graphics memory intensive applications: Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution, Watch Dogs, Far Cry 3

The thought of uninstalling - reinstalling etc again was too much.
I opened up the case and took one of the cards out.
I'm going to buy some cheap games on steam and use my computer for what I bought it for.
I'll decide what to do another day (I'm already thinking to sell these two cards and buy a 980 or a 295x)

Just to ask here as well. After I installed my 290X Lightning (I had a 280X before which now works fine on my second machine) my computer has the infamous PC can't wake up from sleep problem. For me it appears not only when the monitor gets turned off but also when the computer sleeps and when I put it to sleep manually. I have read numerous suggestions for possible solutions and causes none of which were helpful. I want to ask here so I can be 100% certain there is no solution as of today.
Thanks in advance.

It wa s power supply problem. Once I changed it, everything is fine now. I can pretty much confirm it for other people as well. Monitor wake up, computer not sleeping or waking up - probably a problem with power supply/motherboard/graphics card combination. But the main reason is the power supply.

Has anyone tried a 290x with a aftermarket cooler? I'm sending my 970 back and swapping for a 8gb msi gaming card. I will see what the volume and cooling are like but I have a spare prolimatech mk26 cooler I had previously installed on my 7970ghz, does it fit on a 290x? I'm worried about the temps on the memory and other bits? I had 2 thermal right 140mm on it to cool the 7970ghz but the card came with a vram heat sink but I don't have this anymore.
Thanks.

Just get one of the 290s that come with a third party cooler (which is almost all of them). They run a lot cooler and massively quieter than the stock AMD cooler. It will be much less hassle than trying to get the CPU and VRMs properly cooled, especially with an old 7970 cooler.

hi peeps, i have managed to bag a r9 290x vapour x 8gb dirt cheap. Its currently rock stable at 1150/1700 150 volt settings in trixx (1.35+) just wondering is it safe to clock the mem further, vrm temps are both sit even at 56c max, core 72c max, Hynix mem vendor.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom