• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Will do, ill take it up a notch and see what happens, bored of monitoring my temps now though!

Can you recommend a push pull cpu cooler that intakes front to back rather than bottom to top? There doesn't seem to be many of the former for AMD

Kind of want stick with air cooling as I dont want to invest anymore in this particular build, I'll stick with the dark rock cooler, up the volts and monitor stability and temps, if that fails I'll declock a bit

Thanks

MSI 290X LE - Turned up today installed and fairly pleased a little louder than my 970 GTX and runs 15/20c hotter but I think the temps of the 970 have spoilt me a little.

This thing is heavy! No wonder the box turned up damaged perhaps Gary from DPD couldn't manage it to the door without a few drops!

Are there any settings I should tweak in the 3d settings for optimal performance or am I good to go?

Last edited:
Download Afterburner, set the Power limit to +50 and go up in increments of 10/20 on the core. Run a few games and if stable rinse & repeat. When you've reached your limit on the core, start on the memory going up in 50's.

Download Afterburner, set the Power limit to +50 and go up in increments of 10/20 on the core. Run a few games and if stable rinse & repeat. When you've reached your limit on the core, start on the memory going up in 50's.

Does the Power Limit increase voltages? (Or am I correct in thinking just allows more Watts to pass through the card unless that is the same thing?)

Also do these GPU's have the Boost Tech that Nvidia does, I'm sure I have read it does but I haven't seen any boost on my side so far.

Lightning LE is installed and maxing out all the games that I'm playing. Coil Whine is a small issue but fairly confident that's down to my PSU.

Very impressed with how quiet and cool it was running. At load it didn't top 51 degrees.

Nice one AMD.

Best of it is, the part that has burnt is right by the fan connector. Not sure how that's possible but still!

Anyone suggest me another card? Right now its looking like a 960 might be on the cards!

Edit - The card still works, if you remove the fan from its connector. Obviously a very hot card that now has no cooling whatsoever isn't the best so can anyone advise me what to do to enable it to still be used?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom