• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Caporegime
Curious - those that are disabling "ULPS", what do you think it is actually doing?

Great to see you on OcuK Dave. I assume you're the AMD dave from beyond3d. :)

It makes both gpu's work evenly with 99% usage. According to my testing this sometimes adds a few extra percent performance. For example with ULPS on gpu1 works at 100%, gpu2 works at 75-95%. It varies. With ULPS off and assuming no cpu bottlenecks are in place you get equal gpu usage of 99% per gpu. This often shows itself as a small performance increase and a very slight, often unnoticeable (certainly since the arrival of frame pacing) smoothness increase. Overclocking seems to exacerbate the problem even further. At stock its not such of an issue, it seems.

A few of us here did some testing. This was a while back now but id be happy to draw up some solid figures regarding the performance difference in fps terms between ULPS on and ULPS off stock and overclocked.

EDIT

I should add this was before frame pacing arrived. That did change things a bit. However you still get a small boost to performance with ULPS off.

I've not read the full thread to see if this has been addressed yet, but have you tried stopping GPUz from running in the background? GPUz was accessing a register on the R9 290's that is shouldn't, causing them to go into a funny state.

We've seen this issue with GPUz as well. If you are running GPUz please quit the app and try again.

I noticed that using GPU-Z also sends one of my 7950's into gpu 99% usage Dave. Seem to be a bug on the recent drivers. Obviously its affecting 290X users in a more serious way though with the screen flickering.

Last edited:
Soldato
Who cares what AMD say it was sent by mistake. All they can do is nicely ask him to be quite and return the card.

I would be asking for a nice pair of free 290x cards or the internet gets plastered with details about your new card.... :D

Soldato
Great to see you on OcuK Dave. I assume you're the AMD dave from beyond3d. :)

It makes both gpu's work evenly with 99% usage. According to my testing this sometimes adds a few extra percent performance. For example with ULPS on gpu1 works at 100%, gpu2 works at 75-95%. It varies. With ULPS off and assuming no cpu bottlenecks are in place you get equal gpu usage of 99% per gpu. This often shows itself as a small performance increase and a very slight, often unnoticeable (certainly since the arrival of frame pacing) smoothness increase. Overclocking seems to exacerbate the problem even further. At stock its not such of an issue, it seems.

A few of us here did some testing. This was a while back now but id be happy to draw up some solid figures regarding the performance difference in fps terms between ULPS on and ULPS off stock and overclocked.

EDIT

I should add this was before frame pacing arrived. That did change things a bit. However you still get a small boost to performance with ULPS off.

I noticed that using GPU-Z also sends one of my 7950's into gpu 99% usage Dave. Seem to be a bug on the recent drivers. Obviously its affecting 290X users in a more serious way though with the screen flickering.

Aye, I wouldn't suggest anyone uses GPU-Z with this card till they update it as it's doing some wacky things.

Caporegime
Who cares what AMD say it was sent by mistake. All they can do is nicely ask him to be quite and return the card.

I would be asking for a nice pair of free 290x cards or the internet gets plastered with details about your new card.... :D

Send an Email to AMD, "look what i got, send me two 290X for free or i will spam the internet with benchmarks" :D

Caporegime

Send an Email to AMD, "look what i got, send me two 290X for free or i will spam the internet with benchmarks" :D

Mercenaries both of you. :D

Associate
Bah! Just tried the BF4 Campaign over a VPN. Not that impressed to be honest. In the time that I played it on Ultra, it sat at 50-60 FPS for 99% of the time.

Thought the card was throttling, but it wasn't, I monitored it :(.

Last edited:
Soldato
Could it be said that by going for any of the brands on OC the performance would pretty much be the exact same?

Close, but no. It has different physical differences (number of stream processors etc that will affect results in different ways). Performance dependent on the type of test looks to be within 5 to 15% of the 290X. An O/C might make it perform even better than that X but in some situations those physical limitations can hurt performance compared to the real deal.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Catalyst 13.11 BETA8 (13.250.18.0 October 29)

Seems to fix a problem with BF4 crashes.

Release Notes currently unavailable.

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/...tober_25).html

Build Info:
DriverVer=10/29/2013, 13.250.18.0000
13.25.18-131029a-164333E-ATI
Catalyst: 13.11
CCC: 2013.1029.1737.29798
3D: 9.14.10.01001
OGL: 6.14.10.12614
OC: 10.0.1348.4

Oh you just beat me. :p

Associate
Bah! Just tried the BF4 Campaign over a VPN. Not that impressed to be honest. In the time that I played it on Ultra, it sat at 50-60 FPS for 99% of the time.

Thought the card was throttling, but it wasn't, I monitored it :(.

I left everything on the Ultra preset, turned of MSAA and i was 100+ all the time

Plus my temps hover at 86 with fan speed 40% on ultra too

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom