• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** R9 290X Watercooling Thread **

Soldato
Actually there is a 200mm fan blowing on it as well from the case side. I just looped a bench for a bit and the heatsinks were not too hot to touch. I'd imagine the reference cooler is heating them up from the GPU core rather than cooling them down.

wc-290x-heatsinks.jpg

I've always found that to be a better set up than a full cover block, as long as the air flow over the card is really strong, which you seem to have. Core only blocks give better core temps than full cover blocks and those heat sinks are more than capable of dissipating heat from RAM and VRM chips.

Mobster
Soldato
I've always found that to be a better set up than a full cover block, as long as the air flow over the card is really strong, which you seem to have. Core only blocks give better core temps than full cover blocks and those heat sinks are more than capable of dissipating heat from RAM and VRM chips.

What really grinds my gears is that hideous brown PCB on his mobo :mad:

Associate
What CPU are you cooling in your loop and what is the overclock on it?

I've been looking at buying a custom loop for a bit and have been undecided how on many radiators i need. If your doing this with a single 360 on the 290x and cpu with overclock i guess i've been underestimating the single 360 rad idea.

Mobster
Soldato
What CPU are you cooling in your loop and what is the overclock on it?

I've been looking at buying a custom loop for a bit and have been undecided how on many radiators i need. If your doing this with a single 360 on the 290x and cpu with overclock i guess i've been underestimating the single 360 rad idea.

single 360 for a 400w GPU and a CPU? lol

Kei

Kei

Soldato
52 degrees doesn't sound too bad especially with a 360 rad cooling both your cpu and gpu. My HD6970 gets up to 56 degrees with a full cover block and 420 rad. (Stock volts too. Probably a dodgy card as it always ran very hot)

I reckon a water cooled R290 is going to be a bargain if the cards really come in under 350.

Soldato
52 is quite high considering he's only cooling the gpu core and not the rest of it (as a full cover block would), I guess it depends how good his loop is and what fans on it etc.

Associate
Thanks for this thread!
I am currently running 3 6950 each with a raystorm GPU. The FPS is great, Crossfire Quality is sometimes so-so.
I was thinking of getting the r290x as it should offer roundabout the same performance as my current setup, but I didnt want to get a new cooler.
The R290x still falls short off the performance I am wishing for, but I am sick of CF. It's not that bad, but sufficiently bad that it gets annoying.

So probably the R290 or maybe the r290x should be my saviours until sometime next year I get an SLI GTX 870 setup.
That combined with a g-sync monitor should offer smoothness, not seen by CF.

I have a MO-RA 360 with 9 Noctua NF-F12 BTW THE BEST fans out there for a rad with no competition :)
So cooling should be no problem. Don't think a r290x produces much more heat than 3 6950.

Mobster
Soldato
Thanks for this thread!
I am currently running 3 6950 each with a raystorm GPU. The FPS is great, Crossfire Quality is sometimes so-so.
I was thinking of getting the r290x as it should offer roundabout the same performance as my current setup, but I didnt want to get a new cooler.
The R290x still falls short off the performance I am wishing for, but I am sick of CF. It's not that bad, but sufficiently bad that it gets annoying.

So probably the R290 or maybe the r290x should be my saviours until sometime next year I get an SLI GTX 870 setup.

I have a MO-RA 360 with 9 Noctua NF-F12 BTW THE BEST fans out there for a rad with no competition :)
So cooling should be no problem. Don't think a r290x produces much more heat than 3 6950.

*Ahem*... GT15 fans...

Soldato
Thanks for this thread!

Best fans out there for radiators are Gentle Typhoons, not Noctua's ;)

Mobster
Soldato
You assume too much... The vram heatsinks were attached with akasa tape.

You think i assumed that the tiny heatsinks weren't attached just dropped on top of the chips? :confused:

+1

Whats your problem? Do you actually have something constructive to add to this or is this all we can expect from you?

What do you want me to say? You seem confident that a 360 rad is enough for gpu + cpu so i dont see why you would react like this. I can assure you that you wont get top benchmarks with this setup though if the Hawaii chips are as temp sensitive as Tahiti.

Associate

Well let me rephrase that.

The NF-F12 (and only these specifically) are are superior to the Typhoons in low rpm (150-500) situations, especially concerning noise.

I had some Typhoons and I did not like the low rpm sounds they made at all.
The Typhoons might have a better performance at higher rpm (although if so, I can't imagine by much), but start up voltage was a problem for me, too.
The NF-F12 have no problem also starting at ridiculously low voltages and the PWM is utterly silent.

But let's just agree that both are super fans, but I still stand by my opinion that the NF-F12 have a significant edge concerning low RPM performance :)

Soldato
Well let me rephrase that.

The NF-F12 (and only these specifically) are are superior to the Typhoons in low rpm (150-500) situations, especially concerning noise.

I had some Typhoons and I did not like the low rpm sounds they made at all.
The Typhoons might have a better performance at higher rpm (although if so, I can't imagine by much), but start up voltage was a problem for me, too.
The NF-F12 have no problem also starting at ridiculously low voltages and the PWM is utterly silent.

But let's just agree that both are super fans, but I still stand by my opinion that the NF-F12 have a significant edge concerning low RPM performance :)

You only have 3 posts, so I'll let you pass this time, but you're still wrong. ;)

OP - got any sort of thermometer you can measure the VRM temps with? Would be interesting to see how hot they get

Back
Top Bottom