Race reports

Soldato
No report as I'm exhausted but bagged my first tt win tonight! Pb on the course by over 2 mins. Ecstatic is not the word.

Edit - Hilly local course last night, just over 22 miles, but with 1100ft of climbing, including a quick twisting descent to a 240 degree left hand bend onto a 200m stretch of 20% or so :D Then downhill all the way to the finish. This course is my favourite course because of the descending and suits me with the climbing, so usually place quite well with my PB last year of 1:00:00 (So annoying).

Got to the HQ and was one of the early sign ons, didn't seem a busy night and went off no9. Shortish warm up with not too much effort as knew the first few miles are always a steady intro with the big climbs in the middle. Nice South Westerly blowing me along. Passed my minute lady after 3 minutes :p and going well until I got to the first roundabout where some driver gave me no space on the cycling lane to squeeze through, got the back air in the wheel as I braked so hard. Gave him some abuse then carried on. Heading North Easterly, got stuck behind a few cars, but used this as a bit of a rest, then out into the lonely road, which for the first time didn't seem like there was a headwind as it's a false flat.

Climbing started and I picked off a few riders as I climbed, putting in a bit more effort knowing the descent was just coming up. Got to the descent and almost immediately had someone flash me, which got me thinking, then went round the next bend and was being flagged to slow down, as a rider had come off, luckily he was sat up and had a couple of car drivers with him. Knowing I could offer no assistance I carried on the descent but took it easy as it was a little greasy being under the trees. Got to the tight turn told the marshall someone had come off and went on my way up the horrible short climb (Harting for anyone local) Smashed it up, knowing I'd get my legs back on the coming descent where you can hit about 35-40 with barely any pedalling. (365w for 1:44....4.8mph :D according to Strava)

Once I cleared this I knew it was mostly downhill and I slowly passed all the riders in front of me, although I had somebody again flagging at the side of the road, instantly I thought oh god not another person who has come off, but luckily it was just a tractor that had broken down. Flew all the way into the finish and had passed everyone who started ahead of me by the time I finished. Stopped the clock and I had beaten by PB by 2:05, and put in a 57:55.

Got back to the HQ and it was a small field, and not especially strong, but some riders I didn't know, so thought I had a chance of winning, results came in, and I had won by over a minute. with the guy in second putting a good minute into his PB too. Power was up on my PB from last year by 5w average, and with a lower weight, but riding that bit smarter and with the new bike helped me smash my time.

Hoping for a sub 22 10 tonight providing the weather holds.

https://www.strava.com/activities/609397620

DSC_0065_zpsghciofvx.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Great write up's as always Thomas! Well done and good dig in the race :)
Congrats SoliD, on the PB and the win. Top work!

Soldato
Followed up last nights PB with another, this time finally hitting under 22minutes for 10miles with a 21:40, Getting much closer to my team mates, and beating people I usually lose to. Not bad after the last few days training load. Huge wind tonight, so not a quick night in any way shape or form. Gonna enjoy a few easy days before local league TT on Sunday. Few tweaks to position to make for Sunday too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/610360602

Soldato
Followed up last nights PB with another, this time finally hitting under 22minutes for 10miles with a 21:40, Getting much closer to my team mates, and beating people I usually lose to. Not bad after the last few days training load. Huge wind tonight, so not a quick night in any way shape or form. Gonna enjoy a few easy days before local league TT on Sunday. Few tweaks to position to make for Sunday too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/610360602

Woo, awesome work man, congrats on getting into 21's.
That sort of time would win you everything up these here parts, I am honestly not sure if it's a case of much higher standard of riders down there in general or if your courses are a good bit quicker typically, as even the top TT'ers up here won't ride that sort of time regularly and you are saying this is only getting you close to your team mates! So I guess a combo of both things I mention.

NoPinz pocket. Is that the easy access one from outside or the one where you need to put the number on from the inside? I am going to send my suit to them to have one fitted and more tempted by the proper one where you need to place number on the inside.

Soldato
Woo, awesome work man, congrats on getting into 21's.
That sort of time would win you everything up these here parts, I am honestly not sure if it's a case of much higher standard of riders down there in general or if your courses are a good bit quicker typically, as even the top TT'ers up here won't ride that sort of time regularly and you are saying this is only getting you close to your team mates! So I guess a combo of both things I mention.

NoPinz pocket. Is that the easy access one from outside or the one where you need to put the number on from the inside? I am going to send my suit to them to have one fitted and more tempted by the proper one where you need to place number on the inside.

Thanks. My clubmate who has been doing all the aero work reckons I could be sub 21 by end of the year with some tweaks. First port of call is dropping the bars by taking the spacer out.

That time is slow, over 2 minutes off winner last night. Saturday was ridiculous with everyone pbing the almost same course (p881) with thomas' club mate going 18:45 and my team mate finishing less than 10 seconds off.

The suit is the internal pocket one, bit of a faff as means I have to get changed at TTs. Got a good deal as one of my club mates knows the owner. I'd say the inner pocket would be best from a longevity point of view as well as aero.

http://www.nopinz.com/product/nopinz-aerocoach-ats-trip-suit/

Will post my review in the aero/gains thread.

Soldato
Thanks. My clubmate who has been doing all the aero work reckons I could be sub 21 by end of the year with some tweaks. First port of call is dropping the bars by taking the spacer out.

That time is slow, over 2 minutes off winner last night. Saturday was ridiculous with everyone pbing the almost same course (p881) with thomas' club mate going 18:45 and my team mate finishing less than 10 seconds off.

The suit is the internal pocket one, bit of a faff as means I have to get changed at TTs. Got a good deal as one of my club mates knows the owner. I'd say the inner pocket would be best from a longevity point of view as well as aero.

http://www.nopinz.com/product/nopinz-aerocoach-ats-trip-suit/

Will post my review in the aero/gains thread.

I think it's a mix of more people TT'ing, faster courses and therefore higher standards down there in general. You're making super progress so keep at it! :)
I sent your strava link to my coach, I can push the same power as you for 10 and weigh less. This highlights the gains I can make via aero alone I think and makes me positive for progressing with TT'ing :)

Ahh didn't realise it was Trip Suit itself, thought you had pocket fitted to existing suit. I am definitely going to get the internal/proper variant. Not the easy access. I always get changed into suit at TT's anyway so far so will be fine for me :)

Edit, PB's all over the shop this past couple weeks from what I see. Weather been very favourable for TT'ing! and time of year right now is seeing a lot of people peak/hit high standards of fitness so the PB's make sense. Hoping this low pressure hangs around for another week!

Soldato
I think it's a mix of more people TT'ing, faster courses and therefore higher standards down there in general. You're making super progress so keep at it! :)
I sent your strava link to my coach, I can push the same power as you for 10 and weigh less. This highlights the gains I can make via aero alone I think and makes me positive for progressing with TT'ing :)

Ahh didn't realise it was Trip Suit itself, thought you had pocket fitted to existing suit. I am definitely going to get the internal/proper variant. Not the easy access. I always get changed into suit at TT's anyway so far so will be fine for me :)

Edit, PB's all over the shop this past couple weeks from what I see. Weather been very favourable for TT'ing! and time of year right now is seeing a lot of people peak/hit high standards of fitness so the PB's make sense. Hoping this low pressure hangs around for another week!

I'm nowhere near peak I don't think, power seems to just be going up when recuperated.

Soldato
OP
An 18 off 320w is very impressive. Still waiting for my NoPinz suit, starting to get a bit annoyed now TBH. Always had good service in the past but this was ordered mid-April with a leadtime of 4-6 weeks so would have thought I'd have had it by now. I was told it would be in the post next day for this Wednesday but that's been and gone. I feel bad about chasing all the time, but at the same time I want my skinsuit!

Soldato
An 18 off 320w is very impressive. Still waiting for my NoPinz suit, starting to get a bit annoyed now TBH. Always had good service in the past but this was ordered mid-April with a leadtime of 4-6 weeks so would have thought I'd have had it by now. I was told it would be in the post next day for this Wednesday but that's been and gone. I feel bad about chasing all the time, but at the same time I want my skinsuit!

PM me your details and i'll try to get my mate to speak to Blake for you.

Soldato
OP
PM me your details and i'll try to get my mate to speak to Blake for you.

Sure it'll turn up and not got any events for a couple of weeks... If I'm still waiting next Friday though I'll drop you a message. He's been responsive, just the timescales were a bit longer than I was told. That's fine but would just be good to know when to expect it!

Soldato
Sure it'll turn up and not got any events for a couple of weeks... If I'm still waiting next Friday though I'll drop you a message. He's been responsive, just the timescales were a bit longer than I was told. That's fine but would just be good to know when to expect it!

No problem, happy to help if needed.

Soldato
Fatigue central this morning, think I know my limits now! Hilly league ride this morning, knew soon as I got on the bike I was nowhere near fresh. Went out and put my best in, but couldn't put the power out or get my HR up.

2 Hour CX race, Hilly TT, 10 miler and today within 7 days is just a bit over my limit :D

Although somehow managed to finish 7th I think, beating a mate of mine, who I'd definitely expect to beat me on todays course. Pb by 3 mins 20 but was 2 years ago so doesn't really count. First ride with the lower front end, no discomfort felt! Club won the team prize without our best two riders, which is good in my head as showing we've got some strength in depth.

https://www.strava.com/activities/613780403

Last edited:
Soldato
Ride out to race.

Got warmed up.. Pfttttttt, hole in my tyre, spin it loads & put more air in, seals up. Bit more warm up, leaks again, more air and no time so have to go go go as handicap race.

First corner, arse end all over the place so have to stop.

Slow ride home & collected by the wife.

Back
Top Bottom