Race reports

Soldato
Debating whether to go to todays TT, it was absolutely lashing it down here (biblical type rain), but text mate and he said he'd ridden in the same on this course, so trekked up, got half way there, weather completely changed, sun bright and shining.

Course isn't especially quick, due to bumpy surface and very few actual flat bits. Put in a PB for the course by 10 seconds, although it rained for 2/3rds of the ride, but was muggy as hell. Power was better than I thought it would be, but still off where I want it to be. Hopefully a 25 PB on Monday, sub 57 with some luck!

Soldato
Richmond Park TT this morning. Shocking performance. I was 45s slower and 33W down from last year! Conditions were probably a bit windy but I'm definitely weaker too.

Solid performance from Thomas. PLease. put him joint 3rd in the road bike category. I was on a TT bike and he smashed my time by 3mins!:(

Soldato
Cheers Liam, don't be too hard on yourself a fair bit slower conditions this year I think! 25w more than last year for me, at 350w for 25:28 pleased with that considering the absurd lack of sleep over the last few days. Fair bit more time on the table with various aero bits too. £12.50 shared prize money with Gareth too :o

Soldato
OP
Couple of minor tweaks to position and finally got my NoPinz supersuit for this weekend's events, happily resulting in two PBs (one distance, one course):

https://www.strava.com/activities/620675767

All time 25 PB there, beating my time on the much faster J5/8 (where admittedly I cocked up the turn). Over a minute faster than I've been on this course but for the same power. Other riders felt it was slow day but wind at least gave you a push up Twemlow Lane which is a notoriously slow stretch (draggy and awful surface). Really happy with that.

https://www.strava.com/activities/621598213

Today was the club open hilly TT, smartly swapped out the 11-23 for a 12-30 though not so smartly forgot to check the limit screw. Dropped chain on the first climb hence the difference between overall time and moving time... Frustrating but lesson learned. Legs were feeling it from yesterday too so about 10w down on where I should be, but still 5 minutes quicker than last year's time, fastest rider from our club and 10th overall. 81km/h top speed! :eek: Appreciate the regular TTers aren't very local but this is a great course, probably my favourite to race. Shame it only gets used once a year.

Soldato
Couple of minor tweaks to position and finally got my NoPinz supersuit for this weekend's events, happily resulting in two PBs (one distance, one course):

https://www.strava.com/activities/620675767

All time 25 PB there, beating my time on the much faster J5/8 (where admittedly I cocked up the turn). Over a minute faster than I've been on this course but for the same power. Other riders felt it was slow day but wind at least gave you a push up Twemlow Lane which is a notoriously slow stretch (draggy and awful surface). Really happy with that.

https://www.strava.com/activities/621598213

Today was the club open hilly TT, smartly swapped out the 11-23 for a 12-30 though not so smartly forgot to check the limit screw. Dropped chain on the first climb hence the difference between overall time and moving time... Frustrating but lesson learned. Legs were feeling it from yesterday too so about 10w down on where I should be, but still 5 minutes quicker than last year's time, fastest rider from our club and 10th overall. 81km/h top speed! :eek: Appreciate the regular TTers aren't very local but this is a great course, probably my favourite to race. Shame it only gets used once a year.

81 is quick were you on the aero bars!? ,
:eek: I start to get worried above 75!

Soldato
OP
Yep, aero bars all the way. My rear brake does very little anyway so I might as well go out in style if I'm going to. :p

In all seriousness, I find my aero position is very stable so doesn't feel as twitchy as it might.

Soldato
Well I'm probably never going to have kids!

50 mile TT This morning.

Worst prep ever as I was working til midnight, didn't sleep especially well and on the way my roof rack was playing up so had to pull over a few times. This led to a whopping 10 mins of warmup. Oh well that's what the next 50 was for.

Previous pb of 1:59:30 so after Monday was hoping for a 1:54 something.

Started off very slowly having barely woken up yet, and just settled in to a good rhythm, not pushing too hard.

Got round the first lap in just under58 and 220w. Ensuring I was keeping up with eating and drinking. HR was nice and power and legs felt like they had a chunk left. Contact point on the saddle not so much.

Pushed up the power and smashed the second 25 in a 55.30 or so giving me a 1:53:25 on a high pressure but quick for it day. So very happy. Power ended up at 232. Probably could have gone harder fast loop but live and learn. Power up by 22w over last year so very happy. Now to relax in the bath and on the sofa for the rest of the day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/628423138

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Congrats, that's a great time!

I did my second 100 today. Was interesting... Drunk far too much last time but got it wrong this time and hit the wall with 25 to go. Feeling sick, couldn't eat anymore etc. Grovelled round the last 25, rolled back to the car and passed out briefly. Felt much better after some water and cooling down. Not great though.

Ended up just off the time I did last time out which I'm happy with all things considered, but would have been 3 or 4 minutes quicker if I fuelled it right. Plenty of lessons learned. Scratched the 100 itch for now, next one I do will be next year and on a fast course I hope. They're not something I plan on doing often but great training all the same.

Soldato
Thanks OMS, just checked your 100, that is a beasty ride. Too far for me. 50 is far enough. Lumpy 25 at the weekend for me, was thinking about riding tonight, but legs still a little grumbly from the weekend, so going to head out for an easy calorie burn if it's not lashing it down.

Soldato
OP
I did a 10 the day after and was surprisingly only about 15w down, hurt like hell though! If you've done a couple of 50s you'd definitely have a good base for a 100, you should definitely give one a go before writing them off. If you pace it right the first 50 miles will feel like the most fun training ride you've ever done since you zip along at a fairly comfortable effort in all your aero gear.

The next 50 isn't so great but you'll find that out. :p

Legs are still feeling it a bit today too so thinking I may follow your approach if I go out at all. I've only been riding 5 days out of 7 the last few weeks but those 5 days have generally been pretty hard, would probably benefit from an easy week. I'm riding a couple of fast 10 courses over the next week so will be interesting to see how it goes and whether I can improve my PB.

Soldato
I did a 10 the day after and was surprisingly only about 15w down, hurt like hell though! If you've done a couple of 50s you'd definitely have a good base for a 100, you should definitely give one a go before writing them off. If you pace it right the first 50 miles will feel like the most fun training ride you've ever done since you zip along at a fairly comfortable effort in all your aero gear.

The next 50 isn't so great but you'll find that out. :p

Legs are still feeling it a bit today too so thinking I may follow your approach if I go out at all. I've only been riding 5 days out of 7 the last few weeks but those 5 days have generally been pretty hard, would probably benefit from an easy week. I'm riding a couple of fast 10 courses over the next week so will be interesting to see how it goes and whether I can improve my PB.

I reckon I could ride, but just decided to take a midweek off and watch the footie. May consider one next year perhaps, jsut doesn't really fit with the rest of my TTs!

Generally riding 6/7 days a week recently even if only commuting, still takes it out of you. This time of year is always hard doing midweek TTs. I am hoping to take a good 6/7 minutes out of my PB for this course on Sunday! Hate the course but it's part of the local league. Want to get down and get a sub 21 ideally over 10 with the right conditions.

Soldato
Local league round 6 today! On a course I hate! And it was raining (that fine rain that gets everything wet :p)

Know the course well and it's one you really need to measure and put the power on on the ascents and into the wind. Being 25 miles but slow and lumpy so just over the hour.

Was expecting more runners so got up late and had my breakfast a whopping hour before my start time in the end. Went out steady, with my breakfast wanting to come back up for the first 10 miles. Put power into the headwind on the flat on the way out and got to about half way pushing just under 240w so knew I had a bit in reserve for the back weighted climb. Started ramping up the effort but recovering on every descent catching riders left right and centre. But not taking stupid risks sitting up on corners I'd never usually get off the tri bars for.

20 came up in just under 51 so knew I was on for a smashing pb and Jusy ramped up the power. Finishing in 1:02:17. Some 3:15 minutes better pb for the course and only finishing 25 behind someone I usually drop 2 minutes to over an hour! Think it's a new hour power pb at 249w with Np at about 260!so very happy with the fact I was hardly putting out any power on some descents. Finished up 6th (3rd for club) and pretty much sealed our clubs league winners!

Few photos on strava.

https://www.strava.com/activities/636009145

Last edited:
Soldato
Rode a couple of 25s this week, nothing extraordinary, PBed 25 miles on Wednesday with 54:45 even being about 6 or 7w down, and PBed again on todays course by 1minute 20 seconds, but it was a hard day with the heat and wind. On holiday this week and decided to give my body a break from TTs for the week and just put in some steady miles. Think I need it as my power has been down this week on what I expect.

Soldato
OP
Know what you mean Solid, think it's inevitable you lose a bit of fitness as the season goes on, especially if you prioritise events. I'm going to get in the habit of doing some extra efforts after club 10s etc to make them a bit better for training so things don't drop off so much. 25s and longer seem to give me enough training load but too many 10s just make me tired and less fit.

Soldato
Think I've just ridden too many long ones recently and overstretched myself. Reckon week of easier steady miles should get me back. Can't race hard week in week out at the end of the day! Almost ridden as many tts as I did last year even tho I started the season later. Reckon I'll get about 32 in at this rate. Compared to 25 last year.

Soldato
First race since May, bleh where did my legs go.

Didn't go too bad since I was almost getting dropped on the bunch ride yday! Hilltop finish that normally I would crush, 100w down on my best hahah :(

Back
Top Bottom