Racist Bake sale - pretty cool idea...

Caporegime
Do you have kids? those lil crackers wont be able to get into university when they're older if Labour/Lib dems have their way. What kind of future do they have when you support racism towards your own kind.

I have two kids, ta. I've no concerns about them being able to compete intellectually, if they choose to, and I don't buy into your insane culture of fear, so there we go.

Associate
Zimbabwe is not the United States. I suggest you look up the difference.

Perhaps you are suggesting that "Positive Discrimination" is different in other parts of the World?

"Cake" and "eat it" comes to mind.

You either think people should get ahead on merit, or you think people should be given an advantage due to their colour. Which is it?

Soldato
Positive discrimination is still discrimination & should be opposed (along with the usual forms of discrimination such as racism and sexism).

We can only move forward as a global society when we stop focusing on race & judge people by a combination of actions & ability.

Poor stupid nationals of any nation will always blame people from other country for there own failings - as it's easier to point the finger than accept responsibility.

I see it in every single country of the world, the same thing is used against blacks/whites/asians - just a different group get's the bad side pending on the country.

That alone suggests to me that the problem is nothing to do with race, but people in general & the attitudes we promote.

Soldato
Castiel, I have a present for you.

brick-wall-graffiti-generator.jpg

Get to it man, work out that stress!

Permabanned
Perhaps you are suggesting that "Positive Discrimination" is different in other parts of the World?

"Cake" and "eat it" comes to mind.

You either think people should get ahead on merit, or you think people should be given an advantage due to their colour. Which is it?

I believe people should be given equal opportunity, if you think that ensuring that equal opportunity is a simple as stating it then you are poorly informed and naive.

Discrimination in Zimbabwe isn't positive discrimination. Affirmative Action is about creating a level playing field not about replacing one disadvantaged group with another which is what Zimbabwe has done.

As I have said, I agree with some policies and not others.

Permabanned
Agreed, but I think that change would naturally come by breaking down the divide amplified by economic situatio.

I do not disagree, however without some form of positive action those economic disparities will remain and while I am opposed to quotas and policies which create inequality on another group, in societies such a the United States action has to be implemented to bridge the equality gap to begin with.

It is about whether it has a disproportionate adverse effect on another ethnic or under represented group (or indeed seeks to create one) and if it does then the policy is discriminatory in a negative sense, such as point quotas for African Americans in Universities that adversely affect White applicants from poor backgrounds, hence my opposition to them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you actually read the "comparison" you are referring to? Simplistic? Yes. Inappropriate? Why?

Yes, I've read through the matter at hand. Castiel was identifying a case in which positive discrimination would be beneficient if handled correctly and enacted over a short-term period, i.e. to hasten the abolition of disparity between two formerly inequal groups. You likened it to Zimbabwe, a situation so far removed from such a consideration that bringing it up in comparison is little short of laughable. It's clear to anybody with half a brain and an assistant to wipe dribble off their chin that Zimbabwe is a prime example of a correction in disparity taken far too far into the other side, through equality to land firmly in discrimination in a different coat. Castiel's point still stands - positive discrimination can, if handled correctly, redress an imbalance much faster than natural progression, though it comes with a much greater risk of forming a more shaky equality than the longer-term option - as would be expected. Having an opinion on how such a situation is handled and agreeing only with some policies rather than all of them is hardly the same as wanting to have your cake and eat it too. Thus, simplistic and inappropriate.

Permabanned
Yes, I've read through the matter at hand. Castiel was identifying a case in which positive discrimination would be beneficient if handled correctly and enacted over a short-term period, i.e. to hasten the abolition of disparity between two formerly inequal groups. You likened it to Zimbabwe, a situation so far removed from such a consideration that bringing it up in comparison is little short of laughable. It's clear to anybody with half a brain and an assistant to wipe dribble off their chin that Zimbabwe is a prime example of a correction in disparity taken far too far into the other side, through equality to land firmly in discrimination in a different coat. Castiel's point still stands - positive discrimination can, if handled correctly, redress an imbalance much faster than natural progression, though it comes with a much greater risk of forming a more shaky equality than the longer-term option - as would be expected. Having an opinion on how such a situation is handled and agreeing only with some policies rather than all of them is hardly the same as wanting to have your cake and eat it too. Thus, simplistic and inappropriate.

My faith in people's capacity to understand is restored.:)

Associate
Castiel was identifying a case in which positive discrimination would be beneficient if handled correctly and enacted over a short-term period, i.e. to hasten the abolition of disparity between two formerly inequal groups.

With you so far.

You likened it to Zimbabwe, a situation so far removed from such a consideration that bringing it up in comparison is little short of laughable.

Why is it "so far removed from consideration"? Was the situation in newly independent Zimbabwe referred to as "Positive Discrimination" and "Affirmative Action"?

It's clear to anybody with half a brain and an assistant to wipe dribble off their chin that Zimbabwe is a prime example of a correction in disparity taken far too far into the other side, through equality to land firmly in discrimination in a different coat.

So, perhaps you can explain to me, in words of one syllable of course, as I only have half a brain and need an assistant to wipe dribble off my chin, why you think my comments about "cake and "eat it" are inappropriate? Given my above question, that is.

Castiel's point still stands - positive discrimination can, if handled correctly, redress an imbalance much faster than natural progression, though it comes with a much greater risk of forming a more shaky equality than the longer-term option - as would be expected.

Who would you trust to handle it correctly? Has it been shown to work, or does it alienate a portion of the population, no matter how well it is handled?

Having an opinion on how such a situation is handled and agreeing only with some policies rather than all of them is hardly the same as wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

I asked Castiel if he believed in promoting people due to merit or due to their race, as he seems to be a proponent of the "Positive Discrimination" approach. He has stated that he believes in the "merit" approach as well. Therefore my comment.

I hope you find my explanation appropriate, and slightly less simplistic. Now, where's my assistant with my hankie?

Back
Top Bottom