• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon R9 290X Sees Price Cuts

Associate
Sigh and only 2 weeks ago i ordered a 290 vapor X for £320 @ ocuk :/

Now all the prices have gone dirt cheap and i really wanted the x versions oh well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Must admit Kaapstad, I regret didn't bought two Sapphire 290X 8GB, earlier in the summer. But that is the heatguns for, assuming I find the correct Hyinx parts to double the vram
(I know the shop to find them, just need to see which exact type I need eg 1.5 or 1.35v etc).

Shame I will never ever use a 290 card again. The heat is just stupid, even if I were to put it under water.

What heat? Reference cooler design yes, but after that the rest are running fine.
And the 295X2 comes with 2 290Xs and there is no heat nor noise, with the stock water cooler.

Last edited:
Associate
Must admit Kaapstad, I regret didn't bought two Sapphire 290X 8GB, earlier in the summer. But that is the heatguns for, assuming I find the correct Hyinx parts to double the vram
(I know the shop to find them, just need to see which exact type I need eg 1.5 or 1.35v etc).

What heat? Reference cooler design yes, but after that the rest are running fine.
And the 295X2 comes with 2 290Xs and there is no heat nor noise, with the stock water cooler.

my 290 vapor X runs at 49-50c idle.. all fans running but apparently that is the norm.

Last edited:
Soldato
my 290 vapor chill runs at 49-50c idle.. all fans running but apparently that is the norm.

I assume you have set an aggressive profile on MSI AB, and you do not hold the card at 20-30% fan speed.

Because my GTX780 was idling at 45C when the fan speed was 20%, getting hot on mediocre load at 63C, with many games were crashing the moment it hit that.

Had to set a curve of 70C 100% fan speed, to make the card work properly.
So most of the time the fan speed was around 75%, and yes was loud.

Associate
I am in the market for a 290/290x but would rather wait a little if there is going to be further reductions. Overclockers already have some great prices on these so wonder if they will go down much further?

Associate
My PCS+ idles at 36c @ 28% fanspeed.

Heat is not the issue, bad coolers and fancurves are. Take advantage of the high heat tolerances and set a target temperature just shy of 90, the fans never need to ramp up high to make much noise.. except if you're on a reference design, in which case you're screw'd.

Soldato
I am in the market for a 290/290x but would rather wait a little if there is going to be further reductions. Overclockers already have some great prices on these so wonder if they will go down much further?

There might be reductions on the expensive 290Xs. But doubt the TriX going to be cheaper than that. More likely they will disappear from the market completely as stock is gone.

Same thing happened to 7950/7970/7990 last year. They had some pretty huge cuts in September, and then the stock was gone.

Man of Honour
OP
My PCS+ idles at 36c @ 28% fanspeed.

Heat is not the issue, bad coolers and fancurves are. Take advantage of the high heat tolerances and set a target temperature just shy of 90, the fans never need to ramp up high to make much noise.. except if you're on a reference design, in which case you're screw'd.

This is mine idling and with 0% fan speed too.;)

Room temp is 24c

sIyI1Ib.jpg

OcUK Staff
haha i said this no more price drops ehhh :D

They are reporting on the price drops OcUK instigated. :D

$450 (Reference 290X) / 1.62 = £277.77 +VAT (£333 inc)
$500 (Custom 290X) / 1.62 = £308.62 + VAT (£370 inc)

Now look at OcUK's pricing:-

290X Reference @ £269.99 inc vat
290X Custom @ £329.99 inc vat

We are below the price drop already. :)

Of course if AMD want to give us even lower prices we won't argue and will push them as such, be very nice to hit £199 inc for 290 and £299 inc for 290X custom cards though I don't think that will happen, certainly not on 290 because if it did then AMD would not be able to sell 280X or 285 which are also at that price and selling fine. So we can dream but dropping a 290 to £199 which is selling hundreds per week makes no business sense and would cost AMD huge amounts of money as they'd have to drop 280X and 285 in price too. Can't see them doing that! 290X however could certainly come down a little lower in my opinion, £299 for custom stuff would be nice. :)

Soldato
I wonder when AMD going to stop trolling Nvidia so much :D

Wasn't enough the 295X2 at 1/3 the price of a Titan Z, even cheaper than a Titan Black, last week.

Now the 290X cheaper than the 780, and the 290 cheaper than the 770!!!

The good point is high 780 prices, are keeping the second hand market high also, and I have to sell mine.

Associate
Only if you have several monitors.
My pcs+ idled at under 30C

just the 1 monitor and its in a Silverstone Fortress FT02 fans of the case are at full speed no dust etc.

ocuk said these are normal temps for the card in my ticket so no clue tbh i honestly thought that was to high tbh.

my cpu runs at like 27-30c idle..

Last edited:
Caporegime
There is no room. Consider they are sold for a lot less than the Nvidia equivalents. Nvidia has a huge room to go down, not AMD.

Nvidia drops soon too. so then amd cards drop a bit more to counter plus new nvidia cards. the 290s will go down more yet.

Back
Top Bottom