• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

All of this unoptimised driver talk, How does anyone here actually know if they ain't? I am interested to know from cards are released to 2 months after how much performance cards really gain from driver tweaking. My guess is nothing significant.

Put it this way, why would the current public released 16.6.1 and 16.5.2 drivers contain code for Polaris based cards?

There is literally no Polaris optimised path code or code for the new hardware features in the current public beta or stable drivers.

Put it this way, why would the current public released 16.6.1 and 16.5.2 drivers contain code for Polaris based cards?
If there was no Polaris-specific code in the drivers, the cards wouldn't work.

There is literally no Polaris optimised path code or code for the new hardware features in the current public beta or stable drivers.
Yea, you're in no position to be confirming stuff like this man. Just stop.

If there was no Polaris-specific code in the drivers, the cards wouldn't work.

Yea, you're in no position to be confirming stuff like this man. Just stop.

Fall back to a different code path, you can run tonga optimised codepaths on hawaii hardware and likewise. the hardware is not that drastically dissimilar. But you do get a performance difference when the right code path is run on the correct hardware.

Fall back to a different code path, you can run tonga optimised codepaths on hawaii hardware and likewise. the hardware is not that drastically dissimilar. But you do get a performance difference when the right code path is run on the correct hardware.
The cards still need to be supported, though. The fact that people are showing that their system, through Radeon or GPU-Z or whatever recognized the card as an RX480 shows that there is code in there for Polaris.

Either way, you are in absolutely no position to be confirming that there is no Polaris-specific optimizations in these drivers. That's pure hearsay at best, so please dont go spreading it as truth. There's enough BS flying around as it is.

The cards still need to be supported, though. The fact that people are showing that their system, through Radeon or GPU-Z or whatever recognized the card as an RX480 shows that there is code in there for Polaris.

Either way, you are in absolutely no position to be confirming that there is no Polaris-specific optimizations in these drivers. That's pure hearsay at best, so please dont go spreading it as truth. There's enough BS flying around as it is.

What we do know is AMD are handing out a new driver to reviewers. This could have a lot of performance enhancements just like any performance enhancing driver. I guess we will see on review day or if somebody leaks results running on the 16.6.2 if indeed that is the release driver. It looks likely to be. Remember the 390x review driver that made the 390x look so good against the 2 series Hawaii cards. This could easily be the case here.

Lots of confusion today. That tweet referring to the 4800 series is implying greatness yet we see some videos which make the 480 look like a 390. :confused:

what videos you see?

From and unknown youtube channel?
Without even the optimized drivers?

Wait for the real benchmarks in 6 days!

Until then, Rumors only.

What we do know is AMD are handing out a new driver to reviewers.
We know this from who?

This could have a lot of performance enhancements just like any performance enhancing driver.
Could or could not.

I'm not saying there cannot be miracles, or just significant improvements, just that we shouldn't go around acting like they are definitely there for Day 1, cuz they may not be.

Just a quick note about the drivers and why AMD wouldn't release drivers with their cards.

Why would they? If they wanted to stop leaks the only way they can do that is to control the drivers. People not under NDA seem to be able to get cards no problem but getting proper drivers is trickier.

Besides this is something that AMD have done before, I remember before the 6xxx series cards Kyle over on HardOcp was complaining because they were rushing to do the review because AMD only sent over proper drivers a few days before the cards launch.

Somebody said not sending out proper drivers from the start would be a foolish move because it would mean people would get the wrong idea about the cards performance and think they were worse than they actually are. Sorry, but that's rubbish. Before the NDA expires for any card, there are benchmarks and information been leaked all the time. Which are real and which are fake? Nobody knows.

And look at the last few days on this site, there were leaks showing that 480 to be nearly as fast as the 980ti. So people having under performing drivers with their cards certainly hasn't stopped leaks coming out showing amazing performance.

So regardless of what drivers people have before the NDA, any leaks that come out are probably best to be taken with a large dose of salt.

Last edited:
Just a quick note about the drivers and why AMD wouldn't release drivers with their cards.

Why would they? If they wanted to stop leaks the only way they can do that is to control the drivers.
Because they obviously cant stop leaks. They've shown that they've got very little ability to control leakages given everything we've seen so far. So in that situation, you dont deny everybody the proper drivers and have everybody leak out disappointing information, you take control of the leaks by at least dripping out reasons for people to get excited.

And look at the last few days on this site, there were leaks showing that 480 to be nearly as fast as the 980ti.
Nope, the only thing ever indicating this was theoretical performance based on base performance plus super overclocks with a 1:1 clock/performance improvement ratio. No actual performance benches were being shown to indicate 980Ti-like performance.

If someone can replicate that on a comparable card and post it we can get the performance comparison for that game at least.

Whose up for it?

I would but don't have the game.

I ran through that area. The frames are 10fps below my 390x.

(EDIT: I had my card set to the wrong clockspeed. Ops!)

Last edited:
Not for the $200 card he didn't. He said for the 8GB model.

Again, RRP *includes* a profit margin. So it's not before profit. Yes, OCUK will want to take a little extra due to added shipping, but it's not before profit.

That is good news. If a small IT brick and mortar store can hit £212, then it will be easy for Gibbo to hit £200 :D

Small stores tend to sell at cost to try and win market shar or just list product and break nda to try and get exposure, then they never get stock!

Our pricing will be competitive, hoping for lowest in market and free shipping. :)

Back
Top Bottom