• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

It's unlikely it'll cost the full RRP for Gibbo to buy in, especially given he's suggested he's in-line with what AMD want in terms of pricing, but no way to know for sure as it was a very general number.

What i'm saying is the $200 to $300 touted by AMD was not retail, if Gibbo is already paying over $200 for them they are not going to be $230 to you and me. profits and VAT (Thank you Mr Osborn) on top of that.

All of this unoptimised driver talk, How does anyone here actually know if they ain't? I am interested to know from cards are released to 2 months after how much performance cards really gain from driver tweaking. My guess is nothing significant.

What i'm saying is the $200 to $300 touted by AMD was not retail, if Gibbo is already paying over $200 for them they are not going to be $230 to you and me. profits and VAT (Thank you Mr Osborn) on top of that.
It was retail.

It was RRP which is meant to be retail minus VAT (cause 'murica), already including retailers profit margin. $199 for 4GB, $229 for 8GB. There will be further costs for shipping that will be higher here than for many retailers and quite possibly there is not sufficient margin to hit the RRP and still hit reasonable profit levels - but it shouldn't be viewed as a base on which margin is added, some of that will already be profit.

Last edited:

All sources saying $199 retail for the 4gb

so Gibbo is not paying over 200 dollar wholesale per card

And we have no clue what the core/mem clocks were because he refused to add them to the onscreen display. (RTSS)
I would assume that he's not underclocking for this, so whatever stock is.

I wouldn't get too worried because these results being shown are *way* below what would be remotely acceptable, so obviously there is some factor that is causing the card to not be represented properly.

/twangs Banjo to tune of Deliverance....:confused:
Sorry man, grew up in Virginia. I say it a lot more in person than I do writing it out online. lol

I would assume that he's not underclocking for this, so whatever stock is.

I wouldn't get too worried because these results being shown are *way* below what would be remotely acceptable, so obviously there is some factor that is causing the card to not be represented properly.

According to someone on Reddit the Nightmare setting used in the test is higher than Ultra so maybe that's why some think it's poor performance. We need some nightmare mode benchs to compare.

Ok, this is the second time somebody said gameplay framerates looked good, but...........no, this doesn't at all. I dont think some of y'all are even checking here.

For one, this is not a CPU intensive game, so that is going to have fairly minimal impact especially with a non-high end GPU.

But for reference, at max settings at 1080p, a GTX970 does 104fps. So just like The Witcher 3 demonstration, this isn't even on-par with that.

I'm not saying this will be indicative of final performance, but going by this, it does NOT look at all.

https://youtu.be/XZ6VAbHxzxM?t=89

This shows a 980Ti reference averaging 89fps on an i5-6400

No idea how reliable that is.

All of this unoptimised driver talk, How does anyone here actually know if they ain't? I am interested to know from cards are released to 2 months after how much performance cards really gain from driver tweaking. My guess is nothing significant.

Hawaii gained an awful lot from driver updates. Back when it was released, a 290 was about the same speed as a 780. Now it's about 22% faster at 1920x1080.

Once again, $200 to $300 AMD stated was retail, if you add VAT to this those prices go up... zomg, amazing.

No one said they would ever cost $229 to you or me, but it will cost that to Americans... we don't live in America and have to pay vat, we shouldn't be paying much over $229 + 20% for vat, that is the reality of prices in the UK. $229 + vat for English people and in pounds is still not £230 just because you insist it is.

You've stated multiple times that Gibbo bought his for £170inc vat (not sure if it's true as I missed him saying it but it seems about right). With shipping which can be expensive on cards shipped airfreight, that might be closer to £180 per card, more than £20 profit for a £200 card is to me a bit high so prices should be around £200-205.

Again look at the prices of other products in US dollars and see how much they cost in pounds, none translate 1:1, so why keep insisting this will.

According to someone on Reddit the Nightmare setting used in the test is higher than Ultra so maybe that's why some think it's poor performance. We need some nightmare mode benchs to compare.
I'd check but it's a game I dont have.

I did find this, though:

http://www.pcgamer.com/dooms-nightmare-graphics-image-quality-compared-and-benchmarked/

What's interesting is that the Nightmare settings seem to really only adversely affect the performance on the Fury X, not the 390X, the 980 or the 980Ti.

All sources saying $199 retail for the 4gb

so Gibbo is not paying over 200 dollar wholesale per card

He said he is.

It was retail.

It was RRP which is meant to be retail minus VAT (cause 'murica), already including retailers profit margin. $199 for 4GB, $229 for 8GB. There will be further costs for shipping that will be higher here than for many retailers and quite possibly there is not sufficient margin to hit the RRP and still hit reasonable profit levels - but it shouldn't be viewed as a base on which margin is added, some of that will already be profit.

That would be £186 inc VAT but before profit.

I know OcUK like to give good deals so lets round the profit down to £14, a straight £200 for the 8GB reference, £220 for the AIB, its better but still the same price as AIB 390's and 970's.

Last edited:
He said he is.
Not for the $200 card he didn't. He said for the 8GB model.

That would be £186 inc VAT but before profit.

I know OcUK like to give good deals so lets round the profit down to £14, a straight £200 for the 8GB reference, £220 for the AIB, its better but still the same price as AIB 390's and 970's.
Again, RRP *includes* a profit margin. So it's not before profit. Yes, OCUK will want to take a little extra due to added shipping, but it's not before profit.

Back
Top Bottom