• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Soldato
Because thats what 98% of people buy????

Most of the users that post in this section do not, they buy enthusiast level cards and if AMD released the enthusiast level card/cards first then the fuss that has been made over this card by certain people would not exist because they would be too busy with speculation of the enthusiast level card/cards.

Last edited:
Associate
I keep being ignored on that - as I've pointed out several times how this has reminded me of the 4870 and 5000 series launch; AMD gotten smart and gone back to that; the amount of misinformation AMD had on those launches was legendary and amazing. This is almost a mirror of what they did back then and look what dropped - they are saying this is similar.....things are going to get very interesting.....

You're getting ignored because you refuse to entertain another point of view. Someone has done the same test as the witcher 3 480 video, which you claim is 980 performance yet someone with a 970 just matched the 480 videos performance of the Witcher 3... Yet you didn't reply to THAT post:)

Associate
Most of the users that post in this section do not, they buy enthusiast level cards and if AMD released the enthusiast level card/cards first then the fuss that has been mode over this card by certain people would not exist.

I think there are plenty of people in the 7950 range/age cards that are on these forums and consider this a very good upgrade

Caporegime
Why is the RRP now being treated as the wholesale price? RRP is the price point AMD would like retailers to sell at including the retailers margin. Sometimes it's not possible as there is not enough room for other factors, and you do have to add VAT... but profit margin should already be (at least partially) included.

Remember Gibbo said the 8GB model was over $200 landed, not the 4GB. (I assume that post is why you were thinking this?)

Yes, over $200, I took that as over $200, not $200, the school of thought has been $229 for the 8GB and <$300 for the AIB cards, $200 to $300 is the price AMD touted, if that was retail, fine... its about £150, same price as a 380, tho that 480 is still reference.

As it currently stands we are getting a more power efficient AIB 390 8GB for AIB 390 8GB prices. or a 970....

Last edited:
Associate
Here is the stream with the 480 benchmarking, new overclocking tool and noise test the other day.

Sorry if already posted.

Score comparison below.
So i have done a comparison to the stream bench vs my system, 980Ti Stock and a quick bold OC.

Make of it what you will.

Stream RX 480 score, the second score from the left is the GPU score. Baring in mind we think he overclocked it. This was not photo shopped, a number of people in this forum saw it live in the stream with a real RX 480 and up close.
GFX: 13.9K
PkXDCLm.png

Spec - 4690K at 4Ghz.

sRaMDiq.png

980Ti Stock score

QvHbRol.png

980TI OC Stock volts Score

blD9AzY.png

Last edited:
Soldato
No leak so far has been running on Polaris optimised drivers. There is also no code enabled in the drivers for any of the new hardware features. 16.6.2 drivers which contain Polaris supporting code are being sent out to reviewers as of yesterday. So expect the performance to go up a reasonable amount or to even jump up by a fair amount.

Since why would 15.2.1 and 16.6.1 drivers contain code for polaris? apparently the drivers with the new overclocking controls don't even come with the polaris code.

Soldato
I think there are plenty of people in the 7950 range/age cards that are on these forums and consider this a very good upgrade

The 7950 is an enthusiast level card and i said the people posting the most, not how many people on the forum own 7950 and yes it would be a good upgrade, but they are not the ones making a fuss, thus that is not my point.

The the 480 will spank the 7950 period, so they have nothing to worry about hence no fuss.

Last edited:
Soldato
No leak so far has been running on Polaris optimised drivers. There is also no code enabled in the drivers for any of the new hardware features. 16.6.2 drivers which contain Polaris supporting code are being sent out to reviewers as of yesterday. So expect the performance to go up a reasonable amount or to even jump up by a fair amount.

Since why would 15.2.1 and 16.6.1 drivers contain code for polaris? apparently the drivers with the new overclocking controls don't even come with the polaris code.

Does all that matter?
I mean if I upload a video to YT and say its such n such without showing anything then it has to be legit for retail RX480 right?

Associate
Yes, over $200, I took that as over $200, not $200, the school of thought has been $229 for the 8GB and <$300 for the AIB cards, $200 to $300 is the price AMD touted, if that was retail, fine... its about £150, same price as a 380, tho that 480 is still reference.

As it currently stands we are getting a more power efficient AIB 390 8GB for AIB 390 8GB prices. or a 970....

It's unlikely it'll cost the full RRP for Gibbo to buy in, especially given he's suggested he's in-line with what AMD want in terms of pricing, but no way to know for sure as it was a very general number.

Caporegime
The 7950 is an enthusiast level card and i said the people posting the most, not how many people on the forum own 7950 and yes it would be a good upgrade, but they are not the ones making a fuss, thus that is not my point.

It is the first die shrink cards from AMD, so hence there is a lot of buzz. It was the same for the 1080 prior to launch.

Soldato
DOOM on the 480. The settings are custom but pretty much maxed. Seems to be averaging over 75fps. the cpu is only an i5-6400 so this is looking good.

Ok, this is the second time somebody said gameplay framerates looked good, but...........no, this doesn't at all. I dont think some of y'all are even checking here.

For one, this is not a CPU intensive game, so that is going to have fairly minimal impact especially with a non-high end GPU.

But for reference, at max settings at 1080p, a GTX970 does 104fps. So just like The Witcher 3 demonstration, this isn't even on-par with that.

I'm not saying this will be indicative of final performance, but going by this, it does NOT look at all.

Back
Top Bottom