• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Kaap why are you going on about Heaven. It's one of AMD's weakest bench marks and it makes the 980ti/Titan X look stronger than they are against the lower model 9 series cards.

Because people were going on about the performance of NVidia cards. To show the difference between NV cards it is the best bench to use as it is totally about GPU grunt and type of CPU hardly matters.

We don't play Heaven though and it's not realistic when it comes to game performance. Game performance is what matters to most. Sure for some it's all about benching.

It's results are very game like actually.

The bottom line is it shows the 980 Ti's to be about 40% faster than the 980s. This can be repeated in games at high resolutions where the CPU is not a factor.

Maybe you should go tell Wizzard he's doing it wrong then as you have the 980ti at 40% faster and he has it at 20%. That's a massive difference.

Not my fault if they don't know a CPU bottleneck if it hits them over the head.

Here are a single watercooled 980 v an air cooled 980 Ti.

I just used the out of the box clockspeeds but they can both overclock by about the same amount.

I did not even bother to change the default fan profile on the 980 Ti.

This should only be used as a rough guide but it backs up what I said about performance difference.

lKkOXv3.jpg

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/8881869/fs/8881704#

Proves nothing at all. None of your cards are at stock Nvidia factory settings and i doubt they are cpu bottlenecked with a 6700k at 4.5ghz. Lets leave it there with your 2 at varying boosts show a 40% gap in performance.

TPU are not good in how they show results and often bottleneck them.

I think you need to give this up as there are plenty of 980 v 980 Ti results on these forums that show the difference in performance.

Even Gibbo has posted that the 980 Ti is a beast of a card.

You do also realise that my 980 had an advantage in being watercooled too and that counted for nothing.

I don't need to i can show you results of a gtx980 being faster than a stock 980ti if you want in our own bench thread. If the stock gap was 40% this would not be possible.

102. Score 14491, GPU 980 @1560/2001, GFX Score 17185, Physics Score 13565, Combined Score 6991, CPU 4790k @4.9, faheemrazzaq, Post No.829 - Link Drivers 361.75

111. Score 13776, GPU 980 Ti @1000/1753, GFX Score 16521, Physics Score 11617, Combined Score 7004, CPU 4790k @4.4, savagesam117, Post No.348 - Link Drivers 353.30

This is the only stock 980ti in the thread.

And your point ?

Check the clockspeeds lol.

The gap certainly is not 40% at stock or the gtx980 could not go past it. This is not rocket science. No review sites show this 40% either. Once overclocked i can see the gap growing to 40% which i am not disputing.

So the bigger GPU has a 40% advantage when both are overclocked.

You do realise it is harder to overclock bigger GPUs.

All you have done is underline the 40% performance difference between the cards.

beh not in a synthetic bench, but i could beat it in some DX12 games, or a new firestrike running on DX12 and async compute :D

Most of the figures people have been quoting in this thread are DX11 games so I think I will stick with that.

If anyone wants to have a go at the Firestrike Ultra challenge it will be on graphics score not overall score as that would be unfair with me using a 6950X CPU.

Anyone wonder why the leaked clockspeeds for the RX 480 are so much lower than the Pascal cards despite having a smaller core and smaller node.

Are we in for some surprises when we see the reviews ?

Genuine question here, what did you guys realistically expect from a $199.99 graphics card?

Personally I think the RX 480 is a great card for the money and one of the best AMD have produced in ages.

The funny part about prices is people always want more for less. Even if you could buy a Pascal Titan for £2 there would be people demanding that it should be £1.

Pretty much, the other thing is that over the years as Nvidia has no doubt improved the design, the 980Ti's ability to overclock improved along with AIBs deciding to just offer them clocked at 1200mhz as a base clock.

From what i remember of when it launched most 980ti maxed out around ~1200 when overclocking, while most would boost to around 1100ish mhz. it is only near the end of its life now that we see 1400-1500mhz parts.

They have always been able to do 1400 - 1500mhz even my old TitanXs can do that.

Back
Top Bottom