• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Man of Honour
OP
Its got nothign to do with sacrafcing quality.

When you analyze the theoretical clock speed of a processor you have to look at the instructions that take the longest times, which invariably means an electrical signal that has to travel through the most number of transistors. Each transistor has a switching speed governed by the process. A certain lengthy instruction that must travel through X transistors each switching at Y nano seconds will take X*Y nanosecond to compute, giving you he highest possible clock speed of 1/X*Y. If you find these critical long instructions and improvement them so they say less time, say 0.8*X then you can increase the clock speed to 1/0.8*X*Y. Sometimes you can't optimize the instruction, so you split that instruction to be computed over multiple clock cycles.Lets say you double the number of clock cycles o commute that instruction, your clock speed is now 1/0.5*X*Y, however whenever that instructions needs computing it will take twice the number of clock cycles.In doing so you have reduced the IPC. The IPS for that instruction has remained the same, but the average IPS of all instructions has increased.

So for about the 1 billionth time, IPC is absolutely meaningless in determining performance. NVidia have official said they have performed extensive critical path optimization on Pascal in order to maximize clock speeds, at the potential expense of IPC (although most reports are indicates there is a pretty minimal difference in IPC). It is completely meaningless how Nvidia achieved the increase in performance, all that matters is real world gaming performance.

The same applies to AMD. The 480 may not be as fast as the 390x in theory, but all that matters is real world performance.

As I was saying.:D

Man of Honour
OP
n2.png

This is what I see, besides clock speeds they don't have anything over Titan X and Ti.

With the 1080 it is all about clockspeeds, there is nothing wrong with high clockspeeds but that is where the performance comes from.

The transistor count on that chart for the 980 Ti are not all active as the chip has some disabled compared to the TitanX.

Man of Honour
OP
Blown out of proportion I expect, as AMD would know the implications of selling an out of spec Pci-e card.

Until others come back with similar tests, it could be a mistake with their testing methodology (not making excuses, just needs confirming)

I can think of a few cards that could blow up a poor mother board but the RX 480 is not one of them.

Back
Top Bottom