• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Apparently they've dropped the 4Gb cards already...

8Gb only going forward. Got to wonder if that's because of that earlier leak about 4Gb cards actually having 8Gb but locked to 4Gb via BIOS.

Soldato
Hopefully they will drop the price of Fury line up and we can get the Nano for under £300.

I think the drivers need to be shored up and with better cooling I am hopeful better overclocking will happen too. That German link provided a few pages back gives me hope that something is just going amiss and there is 390X + 5% performance roughly at stock here when it's fixed.

If not then a nano for ~£270 would be very nice indeed.

Associate
I think the drivers need to be shored up and with better cooling I am hopeful better overclocking will happen too. That German link provided a few pages back gives me hope that something is just going amiss and there is 390X + 5% performance roughly at stock here when it's fixed.

If not then a nano for ~£270 would be very nice indeed.

Doesn't the nano thermally throttle quite a bit though?

Associate
The launch price of the 380 was £180 ish wasn't it. And it's been £180 for a while.

So I'm actually doing a favour to the 480 4gb by using that price. I'm not accounting for EOL price drops at all.

The 8gb at £240 is just plain bad value from a new node. The 28nm 390 has been £240 for months, and months. And won't fry your motherboard ;)

Actually you are not doing favours. You are doing it properly. So, congratulations are in order.

Associate
Doesn't the nano thermally throttle quite a bit though?

Not if you lower the voltage slightly and increase the power delivery. It can stay constant 1050mhz then. And that's with just the stock cooler.

I had one but sold it in anticipation of getting either an RX480 or 1070 (the latter based on todays benchmarks).

Soldato
AIB
AMD RX 480 Custom Cards Can Hit 1.4-1.6Ghz AIBs Report – Asus Announces RX 480 Strix
elvraUs.jpg.png

Exactly why I didnt buy today...

If that's true that would be where most people would expect performance to be and is this out of the box clocks or what AIBs are seeing their cards overclock to? Guess we will have to wait and see. Wouldn't be bad for a 380x replacement.

Soldato
AIB
AMD RX 480 Custom Cards Can Hit 1.4-1.6Ghz AIBs Report – Asus Announces RX 480 Strix

Exactly why I didnt buy today...

I was hoping for 390X peformance but quite disappointed by another 390/970.

Maybe the aftermarket cards will overclock like crazy but at what price? If they come in at over £270 then they would have to beat a 980 or else pointless.

Soldato
I wonder are they getting rid of the 4GB for a reason? Like offering cheaper boards to their AIB partners for their custom cards. So that the some AIB cards can come in cheaper than the reference ones.

At this end of the market £20-£30 is a lot of money. I can't see custom cards selling very well if they are priced over £250.

Soldato
I see the Americans are going wild for the 480. But then again. They are actually getting the card for $199. Which is a lot less to most Americans than we are paying. I think the cards will be a success. But not here.

Back
Top Bottom