• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Soldato
I'm noticing a trend with both Nvidia and now AMD launches.

Multi GPU.

You got Nvidia recommending no more the two cards. Seemingly saying they are going to put all their efforts in to improving two card setups. You also got a new SLI bridge.

And now AMD are trying to say that two 480's are better than a 1080. Well with the state of multi GPU at the moment, that would be a very poor choice if you needed that sort of performance.

Soldato
Is the NDA holding or is there any more news out there about actual performance yet? As a budget gamer I am really excited about this card - I guess 4 weeks is hardly the end of the world but I want to know now!
Because this is firmly in my budget I am more excited about this launch than any in recent times, if I am at all representative of other gamers this could be a really strong marketing win for AMD - the whole marketing spotlight by them is on a card that the majority of people could target as one that will last them to the end of the 1080p era and potentially with CF be a very long lived build/upgrade for an affordable price.

Soldato
Will this be better than a 960 4gb?

Yes by a good margin. On the low side it will be around gtx970 but on the high side it could be as good as Fury pro. Nobody knows what the full performance is but you can bet it's way better than a GTX960.

What Amd have on the market atm is better than the GTX960 is 380/380x

Last edited:
Soldato
If this gets anywhere near a gtx1070 i will be switching to AMD, freesync will be an added bonus. I havn't owned an ATI/AMD card since geforce 2. Nice to imagine but i don't see it happening.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If this gets anywhere near a gtx1070 i will be switching to AMD, freesync will be an added bonus. I havn't owned an ATI/AMD card since geforce 2.

The way the prices are I wouldn't feel bad about getting a couple Polaris for a few months or the X2 version then upgrading to 1 or 2 Vega's at the end of the year. If these cards were $400 today just because they are new, then tank to $200 once Vega launch they'd be much less interesting to me. At a realistic price they feel like a nice little small upgrade/side grade that won't lose their value overnight at some point. 1080, having a laugh, once either Vega or GP102 come along and spank it silly the 1080 will all of a sudden be at the price Nvidia intend to sell it long term, $350-400 maybe for the 1080, $299 for the 1070.

Make good value cards and I'll upgrade. I was really excited more of the tech than the card itself for Fury, I know why it's expensive and I didn't want to buy it but $200, I'll be all over that.

bru

bru

Soldato
Quite surprised to see that AMD's share price took a little hit, after the Polaris and Zen news. It is nothing major, but I really would have thought it would've boosted the share price, with the price point and 29th June launch date, let alone news that Zen is on track and looking good.

AMD share price

Caporegime
Quite surprised to see that AMD's share price took a little hit, after the Polaris and Zen news. It is nothing major, but I really would have thought it would've boosted the share price, with the price point and 29th June launch date, let alone news that Zen is on track and looking good.

AMD share price

Seeking Alpha is full of the usual trolls with anti AMD hyperbole, again.

Caporegime

AMD share price

It could have gone down for any infinite number of reasons, shares are complex. The change could have been due to some additional financial forecast from.a 3rd party etc.

Soldato
Well i wouldnt mind if they lowered a bit more cause then i would have a good reason to try my hands at the stock market for once. Im sure it will go up again once we see the launch at the 29th of June and the following months the more they sell of these things.

Associate
the price is right, come on down, same speeds as the Radeon R9 390X, GeForce GTX 980, or air-cooled Radeon Fury.

and at a price too low to miss, pre ordering asap :)

£138.00, must be having a laugh, good bye 960, hello 480

Back
Top Bottom