1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon VII

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by DragonQ, Jan 9, 2019.

1. hyperseven

Soldato

2. Tom B

Hitman

@Gibbo do you know when the Sapphire cards are going to be back in stock? Also, are they OK with cooler removal? If not, which brand would you recommend if I'm planning to get a water block.

3. Vish Petrol

Hitman

I am also interested in whether it would be covered with Sapphire.

4. Gibbo

Commissario

Still waiting in feedback from Sapphire/AMD.

We’re expexting 40 Powercolor cards in 7-10 days.

5. Vish Petrol

Hitman

6. Gibbo

Commissario

70 incoming from sapphire, eta end of next week. :)

7. Vish Petrol

Hitman

Any idea on the cooler removal/waterblock application?

8. nashathedog

Sgarrista

Great news for everyone waiting, It's a shame you couldn't get the Powercolor chaps to extend the warranty to match everyone else's.

9. eeii

Gangster

10. Tom B

Hitman

I'm also interested in this and buying the VII as soon as I can get a block.

11. skline00

Associate

Bykski just announced a waterblock for the Radeon VII shipping after 3-25-19.

12. Vish Petrol

Hitman

If I were to purchase a waterblock, would I have to setup a custom loop for it? Is it possible to connect it to an AIO?

13. Aretak

Wise Guy

The vast majority of AIOs don't support any expansion of the loop, but there are a handful that do, such as the Alphacool Eisbaer 360.

14. LePhuronn

Mobster

Considering that most AIOs are not expandable, and those few that are probably use Aluminium radiators, I would say there's no point and just get a proper loop. If you're going to have multiple radiators in your case from CPU and GPU AIOs with all the tubing involved, then just do it properly in the first place.

15. Vish Petrol

Hitman

I have a thermaltake core p3 snow so its easy to set things up with a radstand. The computer ends up getting moved around and parts swapped around every year so I don't want invest a lot of money and time in a loop
    The OcUK h100 RGB for my CPU that I bought has a 5 year warranty so I would rather keep that and use an AIO for the GPU.

I think it will end up being something like the Alphacool. Or modifying a Kraken G12 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbMQR4uJiNA
    The H80i v2 or H100i v2 seem like they would do a good job.

16. LePhuronn

Mobster

But you can't modify the H80 and H100 because they're sealed units. And you will have to modify the Kraken. Are you really prepared to make your life more difficult just because you swap out parts once in a while?

You say you're not prepared to "invest" in a custom loop because you change parts, but the loop will be reusable unless Intel and AMD change their mounting holes, or you change motherboard chipsets. But then if you're changing core components like that every year then you apparently have sufficient income to just drop another £100 on a GPU block if you need it, and recoup money from selling your previous kit.

So basically why do you want to cut corners?

17. Vish Petrol

Hitman

The loops that i've seen at least from EK only come with a 2 year warranty, and to accomodate a 360mm CPU+GPU with RGB around going to cost over £300, at least with Corsair AIO's they come with a 5 year warranty. A 2 year warranty doesn't inspire any confidence in the products available.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  18. LePhuronn

Mobster

An AIO could have a 50 year warranty, but the second you modify it you break that warranty because AIOs are not expandable. And what EK "loops" have 2 year warranty? How much warranty do you want on a lump of metal? It's a lump of metal, it's not going to break. OK, EK had some peeling issues with their Nickel ages ago, but that was an unusual thing. Besides, if you're changing components every year like you claim, you're replacing a component before the warranty period is up.

Ultimately it's your money and you can do whatever you want with it, but it does seem like you're overcomplicating things in your head trying to work around a problem that doesn't exist. Saying you want to watercool but don't want to make the investment is a total contradiction. Going the AIO route saves money but you are locked to a sealed unit.

It is literally that simple.