1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon VII

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by DragonQ, Jan 9, 2019.

1. shankly1985

Capodecina

2. D.P.

Caporegime

3. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

Apparently Radeon 7 does not have UEFI

is that a bad thing?

4. Shocky-FM

Mobster

Pointless product, I want to support AMD but they've given us zero incentive to purchase this card.

5. chithanh

Associate

6. mulpsmebeauty

Mobster

It performs about as well as a 2080 for the same price as the cheapest 2080 models. It lacks some features but has more memory and no doubt needs a bit more fiddling to get rid of the fan noise. If you are in the market for a GPU at £650 I can't understand why you would have zero incentive to purchase.

7. Shocky-FM

Mobster

Slightly slower overall vs an RTX2080, uses more power, makes more noise, no Ray Tracing.

Why would you buy one over the RTX2080, makes no sense to me whether it's the cheaper model or not.

8. ANDREW GREEN

Gangster

It's better at content creation and mining. It seems likely AMD are actually targeting these markets. VRAM will help at 4k in future games too.

9. mulpsmebeauty

Mobster

Because 8gb RAM is a bit tight on a £650 card and AMD have a reputation of wringing extra performance out of their cards, while nVidia let their old ones rot.

Since I've just bought a gsync monitor, I won't be purchasing a Radeon 7, but I can understand why it's an ok product. It lacks polish, that's all.

10. harmattan

Gangster

Also, three free games worth playing with VII, IMO, vs two "free" games that are essentially slot machine MFPSs in which I have no interest.

11. MeddlE

Wise Guy

Then you are in the wrong thread.

12. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

lol i like that answer :D

13. Scougar

Capodecina

Like a 2080 can even make a worthwhile usage of Ray Tracing right now. It's an early tech demo basically. Couple more gens and it will be worth it IMO.

14. VincentHanna

Capodecina

15. Nocliptoni

Associate

I received my Radeon VII yesterday and first day of tweaking and benchmarking was smooth sailing ,no issues .Even managed to get a decent score in FS (30788 GPU score) and I was pleased .Problems started today when I went back to improve my score .Suddenly ,my settings that gave me good scores yesterday can barely get me past 25500 in GPU score ? I don't understand what is going on ,everything is the same but scores are not .Stock settings still give the same results as yesterday.I reinstalled drivers as well but no change .If anyone has any suggestions id be very interested to hear them .

16. Rroff

Man of Honour

This is the problem with gauging VRAM utilisation - a lot of games use lazy garbage collection, etc. and/or keep a certain amount of data cached depending on VRAM size just incase it is needed with often zero impact on performance.

17. NinjaCool

Gangster

The Radeon VII Review & Analysis

18. Scougar

Capodecina

Haven't watched this yet, but I am expecting this to be scathing.

19. Grimfusion

Associate

Good review. Fair. Basically says either or. Matter of preference. Personally I love my Radeon VII. It's undervolting like a champ, runs just as cool as a 2080 if not more and fan RPM sits at about 2500 RPM.

Oh and of course it's not Nvidia :D

20. harmattan

Gangster

This seems to be a trend with reviews that were done after the release drivers were available: it seems closer to a toss up (and everyone's a bit disappointed from both sides). 2080 still seems a few % points faster on average, runs on a bit less power, and quieter; VII has more memory and a better game bundle... and well, it's not nV.

And, as Metro: Exodus still shows, RTX is near useless at present (and not worthwhile for the performance hit).