• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Soldato
It was me that said that about AMD giving up...

And many other people on these and other forums.

...and i don't agree that they are on a road to recovery...

After the mess that was Bulldozer and descendants, building Zen and battering Intel within 3 years really isn't any form of recovery :rolleyes:

Like i said the fury x was on par with the 980ti and then 1080ti happened and vega, that is the first time they slipped and lost the race properly and its happened again but worse this year (like i said power and speed and features behind now)

Your point would be valid and accurate if AMD had released a new card. They haven't. Radeon VII is a repurposed Instinct MI50. It's not new. Within the realm of datacenter compute however, Vega 20 is a monster and shows significant improvements to the point it could shake things up in all areas except the ultra top end. But no, that's not a sign of recovery either :rolleyes:

In 2020 the 7nm Nvidia will be RTX 2 3080ti , AMD if they even release a high end card (Arcturus) I would put large amounts of money on it being no where near the top end (probably 2080ti performance with maybe there own ray tracing)

What is it with yours (and others) fascination with fighting out at the ultra top end with halo products? Do you really have that much money to burn? If the midrange marketshare suddenly flipped on its head with AMD having 70% over Nvidia, would you still cry foul because the stupid top end is still Nvidia's?

Leaving, like I said , Intel to disappoint or compete.

Yeah, because it's so black and white. It does not leave Intel to do anything, they're just joining the party. And to expect anything of worth from them in 2020 is just insane thinking.

Caporegime
“The performance is lousy and there’s nothing new," he said. "[There’s] no ray tracing, no AI. It’s 7nm with HBM memory that barely keeps up with a 2080. And if we turn on DLSS we’ll crush it. And if we turn on ray tracing we’ll crush it.”

Wow Jenson, talk about jumping on the defence, he's probably not even seen one in the flesh yet before spouting all that lol

https://www.techradar.com/news/amds-radeon-vii-graphics-card-dismissed-as-underwhelming-by-nvidia

He may be right, but it paints him as a giant ****.

I'm sure Nvidia were amung the first customers for the Vega 20 instinct card, and their engineering team have tared it down, analyzed through loads of software, hooked them up to oscilloscopes, performed micro-xrays on the core etc. . Jenson probably know more about Vega7 than most AMD employees.

Associate
I'm sure Nvidia were amung the first customers for the Vega 20 instinct card, and their engineering team have tared it down, analyzed through loads of software, hooked them up to oscilloscopes, performed micro-xrays on the core etc. . Jenson probably know more about Vega7 than most AMD employees.

Still a **** move. I love nvidia hardware but he's become a very unlikable arrogant person in my eyes over the last year or so.

Soldato
No offense meant, but perhaps going 1080Ti>Vega>2080 has skewed you a little, but I expect the 2080 to open up a lead with newer games.

I don't understand what this means, but yeah for me it seems faster. Mind you I am mainly playing VR on PC.

I would say RTX 2080 > GTX 1080 Ti > VEGA 64 in my experience.

Were spoilt really, any of these cards has ridiculous performance.

Just need some decent PC games to come along !

Still a **** move. I love nvidia hardware but he's become a very unlikable arrogant person in my eyes over the last year or so.

Guy is a massive tool.

q2.jpg

Soldato
Freesync is not supported by Nvidia, Adaptive sync is. And out of the 200 ones they tested only 4 got certified.

After reading your post i see how Nvidia's marketing works so flawlessly on people that don't look into things properly (not directed at you directly btw, just "people")

Semantics. Yes, it's A-Sync... same net result. It's 12 monitors, not 4, but EVERY Freesync monitor will work with an Nvidia card with A-Sync enabled... only some will exhibit flickering etc. We don't know yet how many people are going to have issues with their particular Freesync monitors, only time will tell. It's a "stringent checklist" to meet certification, and it can fail simply because the colours aren't right. That won't bother most people. It's not like only 12 monitors will function, and your PC will explode if you plug in an un-certified one.

Keep in mind also that Nvidia still have expensive G-Sync modules in plenty of monitors. They don't want people thinking this is worthless bloated tech that everyone should ignore and just go out and buy Freesync monitors instead.

I think the opposite. We are paying early adopter tax for a feature not even implemented yet. RTX gen 1 is massively underwhelming. No other way to look at it imho. Gen 2 will prob be far better, maybe in 2/3 years from now well have 20 or more decent games that use Ray Tracing. Who knows.

The Radeon card is coming in $100 cheaper than custom or RRP, RTX 2080's. Offers 1TB/s memory bandwitdh and a huge 16GB HBM. Seems like a monster card to me. Also the Radeon card has bundle of 3 games. Launch prices are always bad. Eventually RTX and VEGA 7 will come down in price too. Best thing for people to do is wait.

The 2080 Ti is double the price of some 2080's and VEGA 7. Either of these cards look great value in comparison xD.

I had a card die so needed one now otherwise would have waited till prices settled a bit. RTX is still new really, and VII not even launched yet lol. Pick either VEGA 7 or RTX 2080 and be happy with stonking performance.

The AMD Radeon VII is $699... the Nvidia 2080 FE is $699. We don't know what the custom Radeon VII's will be yet, but they may very well be comparable to the custom 2080's.

There's still POTENTIALLY more to be gained from a 2080... there just is. RTX and DLSS isn't an entirely worthless tech with no value whatsoever... even though I agree it's underwhelming. If someone is being 100% impartial on the matter, the 2080 does make more sense and offers better value. The argument swings in favour of the Radeon if you're a content creator and are able to leverage that extra RAM.

Soldato
The AMD Radeon VII is $699... the Nvidia 2080 FE is $699. We don't know what the custom Radeon VII's will be yet, but they may very well be comparable to the custom 2080's.

There's still POTENTIALLY more to be gained from a 2080... there just is. RTX and DLSS isn't an entirely worthless tech with no value whatsoever... even though I agree it's underwhelming. If someone is being 100% impartial on the matter, the 2080 does make more sense and offers better value.

Wait for reviews, I think either card represents better 'value' than the RTX 2080 Ti, I mean you could by both and probably still pay less than some RTX 2080 Ti's xD

But yeah wait for reviews. I'll be sticking with RTX 2080 until the next set of cards. RTX 3080 Ti on 7nm might be tempting. Especially if we have some RTX games by then lol. God can you imagine the price though. eek.

Soldato
Wait for reviews, I think either card represents better 'value' than the RTX 2080 Ti, I mean you could by both and probably still pay less than some RTX 2080 Ti's xD

But yeah wait for reviews. I'll be sticking with RTX 2080 until the next set of cards. RTX 3080 Ti on 7nm might be tempting. Especially if we have some RTX games by then lol. God can you imagine the price though. eek.

Yeah the 2080Ti is not great value... although at 4K it's a great performer if you can afford it, and justified if you game at that resolution and want the best card for job. AMD isn't competing against that though. The 2080Ti sits on its own little perch.

I expect the Radeon will exchange blows with the 2080... it'll pull ahead in Vulkan titles obviously, be neck and neck in others, and fall behind in some. The games deal may make it more appealing to some (we'll see what the UK price lands at), and if the custom cards are priced competitively then that will no doubt help as well. There's no question it's a stop-gap GPU for AMD though.

The next gen of RTX cards should really push the envelope. I think Nvidia have been given the green light now to push ahead with RTX features and with no competition from AMD on that front, devs will be more likely to get behind it. I do shudder at the thought of future GPU prices though... I feel we've entered a new era in that sense, and the 1080Ti will be seen as the last 'affordable' top end mainstream consumer GPU I reckon.

Soldato
The next gen of RTX cards should really push the envelope. I think Nvidia have been given the green light now to push ahead with RTX features and with no competition from AMD on that front, devs will be more likely to get behind it.
If the next gen consoles don't feature it in some way, it's going to stay a PC gaming niche and we all know where they end up.

Soldato
If the next gen consoles don't feature it in some way, it's going to stay a PC gaming niche and we all know where they end up.

Next gen consoles won't feature RTX... they'll be using AMD GPU tech so no chance in hell. But that hardly spells the end for it. There's no question ray tracing is the future. PC gaming isn't going anywhere... it's always been at the forefront, albeit an expensive one. Consoles are for the masses, there's room for both.

Associate
The next gen of RTX cards will push the envelope no doubt... I think Nvidia have been given the green light now to push ahead with RTX features and with no competition from AMD on that front, devs will be more likely to get behind it. I do shudder at the thought of future GPU prices though... clearly we've entered a new era in that sense. The 1080Ti will be seen as the last 'affordable' top end mainstream consumer GPU I reckon.

Unfortunately you're right. But there are some serious potential roadblocks down the line which may cause prices to level out at some point (Though we're not there yet :( ).

When practically nobody (<0.5%) has a high end GPU, games just won't be built with those GPUs in mind. Gamers increasingly want >100fps and higher resolutions and the midrange cards are becoming increasingly capable of offering that. With the high end so out of reach, game developers need to target the mid range and make sure their games run well there. As few own the high end, there is also little incentive to add the bells and whistles that only high end cards can enable. Besides, regardless of whether you have a low end, mid range or top tier GPU it's nice to say "I can run [game] on ultra" and game developers know this, hence the minute number of titles interested in adding RTX.

Top tier cards will be for people who want to play at increasingly high resolutions. At the moment, 4k, in 3-7 years it'll be 5k and 8k and mid-range will move to 4k. We are seeing this already: Mid-range cards even from the last generation (1070, 1070ti) are still capable at 1080p and 1440p.

We're already entering a world of diminishing returns for top tier cards: Sure you can get 150fps instead of 100. Sure you can play at 4k instead of 1440p, but how many people will pay twice the price for the privilege?

Soldato
Next gen consoles won't feature RTX... they'll be using AMD GPU tech so no chance in hell. But that hardly spells the end for it. There's no question ray tracing is the future. PC gaming isn't going anywhere... it's always been at the forefront, albeit an expensive one. Consoles are for the masses, there's room for both.

RTX isn't exclusive to Nvidia. It's DirectX 12 Ray Tracing.
RTX is just Nvidia's name for it. AMD freely use Ray tracing how well the Vega 7 can remains to be seen. We do not know all the details about Vega 7 yet. All Amd Web site says is future proof ready what ever that means.

Associate
https://twitter.com/AdoredTV/status/1083140603712540672

Hmmm Jim from AdoredTV saying Radeon VII is so embarassing so AMD should not launched it and other twitter saying Radeon VII is much closer to RTX 2070 than RTX 2080.

Look like Jim have more information about Radeon VII more than us, seem Jensen is right that Radeon VII is underwhelming.

That's incredibly optimistic. There's nothing to suggest Navi will be a high end part. Even Adored's own leak suggested it was Vega 64+15%. The selling point was the lower price, which is believable but I can't see it being any faster than RVII.

Back
Top Bottom