• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Permabanned
Yeah but you pretty much know what quantity and quality you will get for your money, If you dont just go and watch the 1st series of True Detectives. Radeon VII on the other hand I will want reviews before I put my money down. It will need to be relatively quite and not run too hot, as well as being around the 2080 in performance.

I don't think it'll perform as well as you'd expect a big 3 fan card too, Big aftermarket Vega 64's can be tweaked so you don't get a lot of noise but temps can still get quiet high causing the fan to spin up every so often, I don't think the VII has enough heatsink to either match them or do any better than current Vega cards like the Nitro & Red Devil, I hope I'm wrong but it appears they've got a lot less heatsink, presumably to ensure it's no more than 2 slots wide/high, It looks like the goal was to match Nvidia & offer a non blower reference card but they've done so without taking notice of the lessons learned by the non reference market. Maybe 7nm Vega won't need as much cooling as 14nm Vega but I doubt it especially with the extra memory module. we'll know soon enough though.

Associate
I don't think it'll perform as well as you'd expect a big 3 fan card too, Big aftermarket Vega 64's can be tweaked so you don't get a lot of noise but temps can still get quiet high causing the fan to spin up every so often, I don't think the VII has enough heatsink to either match them or do any better than current Vega cards like the Nitro & Red Devil, I hope I'm wrong but it appears they've got a lot less heatsink, presumably to ensure it's no more than 2 slots wide/high, It looks like the goal was to match Nvidia & offer a non blower reference card but they've done so without taking notice of the lessons learned by the non reference market. Maybe 7nm Vega won't need as much cooling as 14nm Vega but I doubt it especially with the extra memory module. we'll know soon enough though.

I dont mind some noise under load but at idle I do like it as quite as possible.I moved from a water cooled 290X to a Asus GTX1080 in the summer due to the amount of heat the 290X was dumping into the room. The 1080 is as quite at idle and does get slightly louder while gaming than the 290X but does not dump anywhere near as much heat out into my room.
I took delivery of a Benq 32" 4k monitor yesterday so need something faster than the 1080 really but feel Nvidia are taking the mickey with their pricing currently.

Permabanned
I was thinking that 27.4k graphics score is low,
But then with only 60cu's it seems about right.
Would expect the 64cu to be around 28.5-29.

Too early to tell, but either way I won't be interested, too little too late.

There's nothing late about it, It simply doesn't compete with Nvidia's flasgship that's all, It's only one card that's been released & it competes with the 1080ti & 2080, there's nothing wrong with that.

Permabanned
I dont mind some noise under load but at idle I do like it as quite as possible.I moved from a water cooled 290X to a Asus GTX1080 in the summer due to the amount of heat the 290X was dumping into the room. The 1080 is as quite at idle and does get slightly louder while gaming than the 290X but does not dump anywhere near as much heat out into my room.
I took delivery of a Benq 32" 4k monitor yesterday so need something faster than the 1080 really but feel Nvidia are taking the mickey with their pricing currently.

I expect or at least want total silence from my gpu when not gaming, Is that an adaptive sync monitor or a G-sync monitor?

Associate
its the PD3200U. I don't think its free sync but not too bothered as been using an old dell 1080p monitor for years with out any sync tech built in with no problem and I do not play any competitive fast pace shooters any more due to old age catching up with me. I recently got into Photoghraphy so colour accuracy out of the box was the main reason for getting this monitor.

Associate
whats the performance like in xfire…. we know it performs like a 1080ti in single card mode, but what about sli.

I would imagine the performance at £1400 for two Radeon VII would be on par with one 2080ti and even with my big old fatty handed Titan V.

2080ti @ £1200 roughly for the duke oc version VS Radeon VII x 2 @ £1400

they should bring the prices down for the radeon vii and market the card as competition at the high end in crossfire.... of course sli would then destroy that or would it? duh duh duuuuuuh ;)

ps I have it, they should offer a special price for two... like 1000 for two Radeon VII Bundle and throw in a couple of games.

Man of Honour
whats the performance like in xfire…. we know it performs like a 1080ti in single card mode, but what about sli.

I would imagine the performance at £1400 for two Radeon VII would be on par with one 2080ti and even with my big old fatty handed Titan V.

2080ti @ £1200 roughly for the duke oc version VS Radeon VII x 2 @ £1400

they should bring the prices down for the radeon vii and market the card as competition at the high end in crossfire.... of course sli would then destroy that or would it? duh duh duuuuuuh ;)

ps I have it, they should offer a special price for two... like 1000 for two Radeon VII Bundle and throw in a couple of games.

I have been told that it is crossfire compatible with the current Vega 56 / 64. That should be an interesting test and probably one that ill run some tests on pretty quickly. Do I sell my Vega cards or keep them is the question :)

Associate
AMD should market the Radeon VII as a card made for crossfire and bundle them for £1000 vs nvidia's £1200 for the 2080ti Duke.. (yep repeated myself)

if I worked for AMD id be kicking the doors open to lisa's office burst in and slap this straight down on her desk... two for a grand lisa!!!! because we know this formula works... takes me back to buying two 3870's and then two 4870's to play crysis.(mind I remember finding out that the second card was never enabled on the 4870's with crysis, the joy of crossfire)

ps. I agree Vince the crossfire over pcie with the older vega cards will be very interesting. especially if you own one already and you upgrade your rig with a radeon vii.

Last edited:
Permabanned
i didnt forget anything, i simply made a comment on the 56 and v7 i think your quoting the wrong post.
p.s we all knew from the get go that there's no real world performance difference between the 56 and 64.

Of course there is, We hear people saying this with every generation, Get a 7950 it's just as fast as a 7970 but cheaper, Get a 290 instead of a 290x it's just as fast & it's cheaper, Get a Fury pro instead of a Fury X there's nothing in it and it costs less. That's rubbish, there is a difference and it can be as high as in double figures.

Soldato
AMD should market the Radeon VII as a card made for crossfire and bundle them for £1000 vs nvidia's £1200 for the 2080ti Duke.. (yep repeated myself)

if I worked for AMD id be kicking the doors open to lisa's office burst in and slap this straight down on her desk... two for a grand lisa!!!! because we know this formula works... takes me back to buying two 3870's and then two 4870's to play crysis.

ps. I agree Vince the crossfire over pcie with the older vega cards will be very interesting. especially if you own one already and you upgrade your rig with a radeon vii.

Why 2 RV7? Just get 2 of the cheapest reference Vega 64s and watercool them. (non EK blocks are around £70-80)
Reduce 100mv from P6 & P7 states and off you go. That setup will be faster even that the 2080Ti Lightning Z of the Ichil Black on games that support async compute or mgpu or crossfire.

Don't forget that the fastest RTX2080Ti <50% faster than the Vega 64 reference out of the box. And both Nitro & Red Devil are around 12-15% faster than the Reference out of the box.

So actually you either spend sub £400 for a Vega 64, or £1200-1500 (3-4 times more money) for just up to 50% more perf of the fastest factory overclocked model.
https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/126707-inno3d-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-ichill-black/

(FYI they are using old 18.8.2 on the Vega 64, performance has been improved since then also with the 18.12 and 19.1 drivers).

Soldato
There's nothing late about it, It simply doesn't compete with Nvidia's flasgship that's all, It's only one card that's been released & it competes with the 1080ti & 2080, there's nothing wrong with that.

It's a 2.5 year old late to the party Gp102 on a 7nm process, reintroducing the £600-£700 pricepoint again after 2 years.It's not the 64cu, it's die harvesting at a 60Cu. Yeah it may compete with a 2 year old Pascal or a mid range Turing, but it's not going to sell, it won't help matketshare and it's yet another poor execution among the many other failed Amd projects.

Rx590 failed to utilise faster memory, or to incorporate an extra 4cu's. Yet redrawn on the 12nm process it is shockingly bad at power/performance and refreshes the pricepoints up again.

It's not progress it just shows how severe thr Gpu department has been. Once we get through Navi and onto the next Gen then hopefully we might see some progress.
But you cannot deny how poor the gpu department have been over the last few years.

Let not my critiscm confuse you for being anti Amd, i have x2 v64's and rx470/570.
My viewpoint is ''Where's the progress'.

Edit 2.5 year

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom