• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RadeonPro - How To Remove Micro stutter & Improve Frame Latency

Permabanned
I use this for everyone of my games....

Global pre-set of 60fps v-sync as my system can do that in pretty much all of my games

And then 30fps lock on certain games, Crysis 3, Metro LL and a few others..

I dis-like frame rate drops, going from 60fps to 30-40fps is very noticeable to me and by capping the fps to 30 I don't get that any more as the 'feel' of the game becomes much more consistent.

EDIT: Ltmatt I was under the impression that although Super Sample is available it's not reliable nor does it work in every games?

Caporegime
OP
I use this for everyone of my games....

Global pre-set of 60fps v-sync as my system can do that in pretty much all of my games

And then 30fps lock on certain games, Crysis 3, Metro LL and a few others..

I dis-like frame rate drops, going from 60fps to 30-40fps is very noticeable to me and by capping the fps to 30 I don't get that any more as the 'feel' of the game becomes much more consistent.

EDIT: Ltmatt I was under the impression that although Super Sample is available it's not reliable nor does it work in every games?

Super sample does not work with every game. It works with some though. Some games you can apply it as an over ride and in other games you have to use enhance. I love super sampling and look to use it, if performance allows. I think we should start a thread dedicated to CCC and various AA settings. We can build up a database of what works with each game etc. Very handy i think. Similar to this.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=350890

1bzEocD.jpg

Permabanned
Super sample does not work with every game. It works with some though. Some games you can apply it as an over ride and in other games you have to use enhance. I love super sampling and look to use it, if performance allows. I think we should start a thread dedicated to CCC and various AA settings. We can build up a database of what works with each game etc. Very handy i think. Similar to this.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=350890

I think that would be a great idea...

Caporegime
Catalyst AI doesn't exist any more so don't worry about it.

Thanks, Matt. At least I can rule that one out. :)

Edit : Just tried your guide to remove stutter, Matt. I was getting some fps stutter on Hitman Absolution, but your guide has seemed to do the trick. Great little program this. :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
If you're suffering from micro stutter or poor frame latency you can use RadeonPro to improve things, dramatically in some cases. This applies to multi gpu mainly but can also improve performance for single card users as well.

Here are my frame time results for playing battlefield 3.

8h6jz1G.jpg

When i start using RadeonPro though im seeing much more consistent results.

OPKh6gm.png

If i can improve single card latency that much with only using one gpu, then you can be sure it will have twice the effect for crossfire.

How To Set It Up

Disable vsync and triple buffering in game. If there is no option to disable triple buffering then assume that having vsync off will automatically disable it.

1. Add the game exe to the RadeonPro profile list.
2. Change Vsync to always on.
3. Tick Triple Buffering. (Crossfire users DO NOT TICK triple buffering - The extra frame buffer will only add latency that will be twice as noticeable on a multi gpu setup)
4. Tick dynamic frame rate control.
5 Put in 1-2 fps below your monitors refresh rate. - Don't forget to put in your monitors refresh rate in the box above, 60 or 120hz.

KFsqVdH.jpg

If you're unable to maintain this fps please use your average, or just below your average fps. Do not go any lower than 45. For best results id recommend a minimum of 50. 58-59 is ideal for 60hz monitors providing you can maintain that fps. 120hz - 60fps or higher depending on the amount of frames you can produce. Multi gpu setups can most likely use a higher fps because they have more grunt.

6. Under advanced tick flip que size and change it to 1.

FsZ94Cm.jpg

If you don't wish to use Vsync or don't mind screen tearing then simply untick triple buffering and change vsync to 'Driver Default' in RadeonPro.

If you want to use a Dynamic vsync which will use vsync but the second fps drops below 60 vsync will be auto disabled then select Dynamic from the drop down box.

Other overlays can interfere with RadeonPro and make games crash if you have them running when starting a game. So make sure you shut down afterburner, fraps, team speak etc before you load the game with RadeonPro running. Once the game is loaded you can alt tab out and start up afterburner safely.

Ironically in FFXIV I had the worst micro stutter I've ever seen. With 4 titans it was 60-30fps 16ms-60ms when it decided to act up (which was often)

With Vsync off it was more like 120fps-45fps when it "stuttered"

This is on maximum at 4680x2560.

After spending what amounted to weeks worth of time posting, researching, troubleshooting, downloading, and flashing... All I had to do was ENABLE TRIPLE BUFFERING.

Of course no one mentioned this bar one person just today and it changed everything :p perhaps it's backwards on Radeon cards (unlikely) or it's game dependent. For anyone having framerate issues in SLI on ffxiv download d3doverrider and enable Vsync and triple buffering.

Fwiw the problem was absent with a single card so perhaps that's where your confused? It may help performance when using 1 card or without Vsync but when you are getting 30fps at times with 4 titans something is very wrong :p

That said in case some of you are wondering, for reasons unknown the triple buffering in the NVCP only works/affects OpenGL games. I'll be taking this up with nvidia stat as it improved my gaming experience so dramatically I can't even put it into words. I was to the point of having buyers remorse on this beast of a PC considering it was built specifically FOR ffxiv and people were getting superior performance from a single 680.

All is well now however so if you are out of options this is it/why nothing this far has worked.

FTR make sure u have Vsync either enabled in NVCP and disabled in d3d or vice versa. With them both on it wasn't working for me.

Not sure if it affects anything but I have the frame limiter off in game. If you can't get it working don't give up. I had to try several settings to find the right combo. Almost gave up myself. I was making custom profiles and setting compatibility for older versions of windows. In the end it was the proper Vsync settings that had me cruising along.

Since (3 hours now) I've never gone below 59.9fps on maximum at 4680x2560. Previously I would drop every 5 minutes at the LEAST to 30fps which was extremely jarring as you can imagine.

Anyhow good luck!

Caporegime
OP
I was under the impression that triple buffering as a bad idea on multi-card setups?

Sometimes it is, depends on the game. When i wrote this i was under the impression that generally it was a bad idea. At the time of writing, you needed to disable it to remove input lag. That still holds true now, but some games need it to run smooth. Its a case of try both and see which one works better. Assuming the game will let you disable it, that is.

Associate
Old thread but super good information. Frame latency goes totally unnoticed still and is the cause of so many of these performance hitching issues.

Sometimes it is, depends on the game. When i wrote this i was under the impression that generally it was a bad idea. At the time of writing, you needed to disable it to remove input lag. That still holds true now, but some games need it to run smooth. Its a case of try both and see which one works better. Assuming the game will let you disable it, that is.

I've yet to find a game that runs better using triple buffering when on Crossfire.

Also, there's been mention of Nvidia in here. How does force refresh lock on Nvidia cards? Can it be done via Radeon Pro as well?

EDIT: Can use Radeon Pro with Nvidia.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom