Radiator Fans Question - replacing some old fans

Associate
Hey @Drumroll , do you have any other pics of your system? Cheers :)
Sorry, searched everywhere, can't find any. Thick ******* here, no backup for phone photos.
ATM, 3070FE + Arctic Freezer.

Regarding rad, the difference between Alphacool and EK shouldn't be much, if any.
Alphacool has more ports, which is handy for temperature sensors, drain ports, etc.

For vertical mounting, the Phanteks works fine, just make sure you buy a genuine one, from a reputable shop, and change PCI-E to 3.0, manually, on BIOS, before installing it. Had with the 3090, no issues.

Associate
OP
No problem! Yeah I’m the same. Thanks.

Question: with a lian li gpu riser installed to the o11 xl, what’s the dimension clearance below the riser mount to fit rads? A 60mm rad with two fans in push/pull won’t fit (110mm overall depth) , but what about a 45mm with two fans? Ie 95mm overall depth. This assuming the cable can fit also…

Mildy curious as I like the concept of the vertical gpu, so was wondering about three 45 mm rads with a vertical gpu, vs a 60mm bottom rad and two 45mm rads and a traditional gpu position.

Are you saying phanteks riser works slimmer than lian li?

Last edited:
Associate
The Phanteks one allows installation a bit higher up, depending on your CPU cooler.
If going full custom, CPU, GPU, installing the Phanteks as high as possible, won't cover the CPU block, and still allow 60mm push pull and some room. The bracket won't touch the top fan.
The Lian Li has a single position for installation, unless you change it.
As the base of the Lian Li uses a long screw that goes at the bottom of the motherboard screw, which can be seen on installation manual, the space you have to work is limited by that.
If you have the O11 with you, measuring the distance between the bottom screw that secures the motherboard and the top of the (bottom) radiator bracket (not the bottom of the case, as the bracket is raised), should give you an idea of how much room you got.
I believe a 40mm PE should be fine. A 45mm Alphacool may cut close.

Associate
OP
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-ampere-rtx-3090-owners-thread.18898762/page-125
down the page my previous setup.
The PE rad is good. The XE is better, but need push/pull to perform, otherwise same level as the PE.
https://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/05/31/ek-coolstream-xe-360mm-radiator-review/4/
Test to give you an idea.
Man that xtremerigs.net radiator review is making my head spin. Was set at 3x45mm Alphacool XT45 360 rads (or possibly one of them being the XT60 60mm), but then it looks like the HWLabs Nemesis GTS always beats it, despite it being just over 30mm thick. I am well and truly disappearing into the rabbit hole of overthink..!

Last edited:
Soldato
Man that xtremerigs.net radfiator review is making my head spin. Was set at 3x45mm Alphacool XT45 360 rads (or possibly one of them being the XT60 60mm), but then it looks like the HWLabs Nemesis GTS always beats it, despite it being just over 30mm thick. I am well and truly disappearing into the rabbit hole of overthink..!
Just get one of these, you'll never have to worry about cooling again. I've gone external cooling and never looked back.

Hq3G81o.jpg

Soldato
Just bought the exact same thing.

Which fans have you gone for?
I have some Arctic P12 PST laying about, about 12 of them to be exact lol so used those. Running 800rpm keeping gpu temps around 43c, using a noctua NA-FC1 to control speed manually but connected to mobo for software control as well. Don't underestimate how much coolant it takes! Took around 1.5 litres of coolant to fill including the gpu and res.

I want to upgrade to the new Phantek T30's though, just trying to convince myself not to buy them as its a lot of money to throw at fans!

Associate
OP
. Was set at 3x45mm Alphacool XT45 360 rads (or possibly one of them being the XT60 60mm), but then it looks like the HWLabs Nemesis GTS always beats it, despite it being just over 30mm thick.

Just on this, the nemesis gts 360 looks very good. To the point I’d consider using it as a push / pull in the vertical bay on the o11D XL instead of an alphacool xt45 on Pull.

Soldato
I have some Arctic P12 PST laying about, about 12 of them to be exact lol so used those. Running 800rpm keeping gpu temps around 43c, using a noctua NA-FC1 to control speed manually but connected to mobo for software control as well. Don't underestimate how much coolant it takes! Took around 1.5 litres of coolant to fill including the gpu and res.

I want to upgrade to the new Phantek T30's though, just trying to convince myself not to buy them as its a lot of money to throw at fans!

Yeah I was the same when filling mine, I topped it up manually so that I didn't run the pump dry.

The T30's are calling me too. But, £240 on fans is silly.

I'll probably order them this evening. :D

Soldato
Yeah I was the same when filling mine, I topped it up manually so that I didn't run the pump dry.

The T30's are calling me too. But, £240 on fans is silly.

I'll probably order them this evening. :D
haha! You know what i might just follow suit, if 6 goes missing from stock tonight we know what happened :cry:

Soldato
Ja, Vardars are ******* loud!!

Noctua are still the best fans for balancing performance and noise.
Arctic are almost as good, but measurably cheaper.

However, I found the better fans to be Corsair's ML120 Pro (non-RGB versions)... and they'll do 2400rpm, with 200rpm as a minimum. The non-Pro ones are cheaper and almost as good, with 400rpm minimums.
The various RGB versions are alright, but performance has been lowered on those, for some reason.

I would ask why you only have five fans on a 360 rad, though?
Presumably you're running them in Push-Pull, so if your 360 rad is 45mm or thicker, you'd want all six in order to get the benefit?

Just don't get Noctua slim fans - they are total rubbish

Back
Top Bottom