Radical Feminist and SJW's incessant cultural Marxism could create havoc on internet infastructure.

Man of Honour
I really don't get the thing about Bond being black or not. Each new actor brings their own interpretation to the character. It's not like the audience is even asked to think of them as the same Bond. Why can't he be black?

Of course he can be. The same way that a disabled woman can be on the front line in BFV. The problem isn't with that these things happen, but the reason behind them. Having a black Bond in the cultural environment we live in now isn't just "hey a new actor", it's making a statement. To think otherwise is, I feel, being naive.

Caporegime
Idris is 46 already, bit old to start playing Bond.

Daniel Craig is making the next one, so Idris will be more like 50 by the time another is in production.

I know Craig is 50 now, but it's his last movie and he was 38 when he started.

No issue with a Black Bond in general though. Colin Salmon was rumoured years ago.

Soldato
Of course he can be. The same way that a disabled woman can be on the front line in BFV. The problem isn't with that these things happen, but the reason behind them. Having a black Bond in the cultural environment we live in now isn't just "hey a new actor", it's making a statement. To think otherwise is, I feel, being naive.

That all depends on how you look at it. I've no idea why people would consider a black bond too unrealistic, unless, perhaps, ya know, they think Bond character exemplifies or is some kind of bastion of whiteness.

And if it was considered a cultural statement, then isn't it time that statement was made?

But yeah, Elba is too old. He'd be lucky to get 2 films.

Soldato
Bond is a fairly charming but misogynistic killer, as long as they do not whitewash the character, they could have a black or a white man play it. In practice, the man is a number which can be recycled through many individuals over time and has been.

Caporegime
Bond is a fairly charming but misogynistic killer, as long as they do not whitewash the character, they could have a black or a white man play it. In practice, the man is a number which can be recycled through many individuals over time and has been.

No, he is the same person through out every film.

Soldato
That all depends on how you look at it. I've no idea why people would consider a black bond too unrealistic, unless, perhaps, ya know, they think Bond character exemplifies or is some kind of bastion of whiteness.

And if it was considered a cultural statement, then isn't it time that statement was made?

But yeah, Elba is too old. He'd be lucky to get 2 films.

I take this discussion entirely on face value -- which is to say, I'd love to see Elba as Bond. Might actually interest me in the series, to be honest. He's a formidable talent, so I'm firmly in the "why not?" camp.

On the other hand, if you were to approach it using the same rules as the screeching far-left camp, then it's ignorant, bigoted, and racist to say that there's nothing different between two people just because one is white and one is black.

The reason for this being that since Bond is now a black man, what does his ingrained history of the "Black Experience" -- including being forced to face systemic racism his entire life; being oppressed, opposed, and micro-aggressed every single day, and made to feel unsafe in a society that has never been "for" him -- bring to the table?

As a character, those things must inform his choices, beliefs, and reactions.

And therefore he simply cannot be the James Bond of existing canon. Unless you go the route of 007/James Bond being a codename, and not an actual individual. (I think that approach is just fine, to be honest.)

That's the only thing I can't wrap my head around when it comes to these matters. Personally, I don't care. Cast whoever, as long as it's good. But don't clutch pearls and scream about whitewashing and then turn around and do the same thing with a different skin colour while still claiming that X ethnicity could never understand the experience of being a POC. Either your experiences matter and inform your character, or they don't. And if they matter as much as the "SJW" set insist, then the character will be fundamentally altered far beyond mere aesthetics by such a change.

In that case, surely the best option is to create a new character instead -- much like the (excellent) Miles Morales Spiderman.

Soldato
On the other hand, if you were to approach it using the same rules as the screeching far-left camp, then it's ignorant, bigoted, and racist to say that there's nothing different between two people just because one is white and one is black.

Lol. Where can I find these rules?

Yes, you're right thought, it would take some creativity in order to the character to have the necessary integrity, but that's detail, not concept.

Caporegime
OP
It is interesting that those of us who the far left would call the far right, we are just classic liberals have got to a stage where everyone regardless of skin colour / sex orientation; is the same, how it should be.

Along comes the hard left and divides everyone up into racial and sexual orientation categories, awarding oppression points based on their assertions of who is most deserving, and we are the bigots?

Lunacy.

Soldato

But then it's also "racist" to say there IS a difference, so you can't win with those people :p

Elba is too old to be Bond now anyway. He'd be well in to his 50s by the time the have a couple of movies out. Bond is supposed to be in his 30s, which is the age Daniel Craig took it on.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
But then it's also "racist" to say there IS a difference, so you can't win with those people :p

Right, with that some of the most progressive universities in the US actively discriminate against Asians because they get high educational results and that is not conducive to their ideas of equality.

Educational Marxism.

Caporegime
OP
Dare to tell a Progressive that you "don't care about race" when it comes to just about anything. You'll find out how well that goes down. :D

So-called "colour blindness" is white supremacy.

Its true, with a classic liberal idea of real equality you can't have Oppression Olympics and if you don't have Oppression Olympics then you don't get to petition yourself in an oppression hierarchy. its born out of narcissism.

Back
Top Bottom