Raid Questions

Associate
OP
Ive moved the location of my doumnets to D and it works fine.

But, i forgot to set up subfolders in D, so the whole of the drive is My documents.

I wanted to have the complete contents of "ryan" (my account) ie pictures, videos and music etc on D:

Im not bothered about software etc, i was hoping to just have all my documents the same for both os and have them backed up at the same time.

I tried moving My documents back to its original place but it wont let it, something to do with access denied?

I might just whipe D and the partition and start again :p

Associate
Right click the folder, choose the location tab and then "move" the folder to the target location. Dragging and dropping tends to do this once, but I've found (at least in Vista) it then gets confused if you want to move it again or move it back.

You can also use the MKLINK command from a command prompt to redirect files/folders to other files/folders - so any programs saving to a folder will automatically redirect to your folder of choice.

Some programs like to put their data in your C:\Users\Username\my documents folder as well and MKLINK can help with these.

What I have done is create libraries in Win7, and have the default location to be on my server (you could use it for D:\foldername) so that when I save it goes to my preferred drive, but any programs (mainly games) that fall over if you've moved the My Documents can still install there.

XP was much easier and cleaner to move the My Documents folder as everything was contained there, but with Vista and 7 multiple folders, including My Documents, were introduced within the Username folder.

Associate
OP
Sorted the Documents, all based on D now.

Which would be the best program to use to weekly/daily copy/delete my files.

So i want the two 500GBs to have identical information on, if i delete off one, it deletes off the other...

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom