Ramadan 2017

Soldato
Ramadan Mubarak

There is a lot of ignorance surrounded Islam Etc. I will include myself in that too.

It would be nice to hear everyones perspective on Ramadan. And maybe it'll help us understand your religion just a little bit better.

I have a number of Muslims working for me and 90% of them are my best workers. Extremely polite and will do anything to help. That's what I see from the Muslims that I know.

Soldato
Well whats he disappearing for?

Also, Fajr is the time at which we stop eating and Maghrib is the time we start! :)

I don't know, probably skiving or praying for a very long time, but tell me for example, if you go to work with me starting 11pm, what time you will disappear, including if i were to tell you that 11-midnight you can go do whatever you want i don't ask questions during this time.

Soldato
The night prayer is long so depends if he is spending time doing that. In the mosque it can take the best part of 2 hours. If he is praying by himself then it may be shorter.

Might just be an idea to ask the fella if he is praying?

Associate
I had an Egyptian chap on my team and he explained it to me.

The body is cleansed of toxins, the mind is clearer he feels closer to his community and family.

I am fairly sure most religions had/have fasting for very similar reasons.

Total respect from me.

Soldato
Genuine question, what do you do if you are fasting and have a job that involves operating heavy machinery? Do you have to ask for other duties?

Caporegime
Hey guys i tried to find out times so i know when people are suppose to be praying or from what time eating is allowed etc but everyone giving me different information.

edit: im working night shift

Am curious: if someone is keeping different hours, say working a night shift, shouldn't they fast at different times? I mean if they're sleeping during the day then it is a bit of a cheat for them.

I had an Egyptian chap on my team and he explained it to me.

The body is cleansed of toxins, the mind is clearer he feels closer to his community and family.

well that first part has nothing to do with any religious belief and sounds like nonsense - what toxins exactly?

Associate
Am curious: if someone is keeping different hours, say working a night shift, shouldn't they fast at different times? I mean if they're sleeping during the day then it is a bit of a cheat for them.

well that first part has nothing to do with any religious belief and sounds like nonsense - what toxins exactly?

in general as in a detox. Same as anyone else!

Soldato
so nonsense then (again nothing to do with religion)

I get it from my Muslim family all the time, if fasting is so good for the body and mind then why not do it several times a year.

Most of Muslims I know will only starve themselves and not do anything else differently, e.g. pray, read the quran etc. Once Ramadan is over it's as if it never happened. I don't see the point.

There were stories last year about how people in the ME changed their work hours to work during the night and sleep during the day. I think a link was posted in last years Ramadan thread.

Soldato
Ramadan Mubarak

There is a lot of ignorance surrounded Islam Etc. I will include myself in that too.

It would be nice to hear everyones perspective on Ramadan. And maybe it'll help us understand your religion just a little bit better.

I have a number of Muslims working for me and 90% of them are my best workers. Extremely polite and will do anything to help. That's what I see from the Muslims that I know.
Tried to do a bit of this last Ramadhan, what do you want to know?

Soldato
Happy Ramadan pals. My Muslim colleagues said they found the last couple very challenging due to the longer days, no doubt it's more of the same this year. I can't even go without food for two hours at most, I have a lot of respect for the discipline shown during the observance.

Caporegime
I'm sure there's been many studies into fasting stating the benefits it has to the body, I'll try and find some sources.

the question was about 'toxins', intermittent fasting might well have some benefits but that isn't what I was questioning

Soldato
Tried to do a bit of this last Ramadhan, what do you want to know?

Just general interest really. A small minority of your......(Jeez its late and I can't think of the words but I'm sure you know what I mean) have had some bad press lately. And I have only ever met decent respectful Muslims.

It'll be nice to follow a thread that talks about the effect your faith has on your lives etc. Without it descending into a "Sky fairies thread"

Just for openness I'm not really religious. I will pray at weddings and funerals (with the crowd) as I am respectful that other people have beliefs etc

Soldato
the question was about 'toxins', intermittent fasting might well have some benefits but that isn't what I was questioning

Did they have the science to back up the toxins back when the religion started. If not then chances are its still very much to do with religion..

Back
Top Bottom