• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Random black screens can only get out by restarting. Rare occasion for there to be flickering green squares with hard crash.

Associate
Yeah tbh I mostly just want it so I can run the fans at lower RPM. I use it for work and am autistic and being in a silent room is non negotiable. Just makes a bit too much noise for my liking as is, I've got those nice new corsair link fans that daisy chain though so no more rats nest in the back with all the RGB and fan cables
yeah will certainly help having the extra rad . can run my noctua nf a12 at 850rpm and water will get to 40deg under gaming load ( 550-600w ) but the system is dead quite , so quite that you will hear the slightest bit of coil whine from the gpu ... i normally run them at 1100rpm where they just about just about become audible but nowhere near obtrusive or annoying in anyway and will keep the water in the mid 30's which is what i like to aim for :)

Associate
I experienced this same issue when I first installed my Trio X 4090 and water block for my custom loop a few days ago. Would randomly black screen 4 or 5 times throughout the entire day, but the keyboard etc would still be responsive. I initially thought the GPU wasn't seated correctly, but it was fine. Thought perhaps the card was faulty. I just used the standard PCI-E splitter that came supplied with the GPU.

I then DDU'd in Safe Mode, fresh installed the newest driver, updated my motherboard BIOS and chipset drivers to the latest ones, and thankfully haven't experienced it since.

Last edited:
Associate
I doubt 14900k will be compatible with z690 boards. Don't really think I'll have the mullah for that on top of all new cooling and CPU. Great news if it is though. Would be a rarity to see an intel board last 3 cycles lol
14900k aka Raptor Lake Refresh is on LGA1700 still and will indeed be compatible with Z690/Z790 boards so fill your boots when it's released in a couple of months, it's not looking like a massive uplift but it will or should be a better cpu than the 13900k. Would be nice if going forward they stick to a 3 year cycle but they were kinda of forced into this as by all accounts Meteor Lake desktop was a load of rubbish so was cancelled but had it gone ahead would have been a new socket LGA1851.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
14900k aka Raptor Lake Refresh is on LGA1700 still and will indeed be compatible with Z690/Z790 boards so fill your boots when it's released in a couple of months, it's not looking like a massive uplift but it will or should be a better cpu than the 13900k. Would be nice if going forward they stick to a 3 year cycle but they were kinda of forced into this as by all accounts Meteor Lake desktop was a load of rubbish so was cancelled but had it gone ahead would have been a new socket LGA1851.
Ahh that’s sound. Has there ever been an intel socket that lasted 3 gens before I looked on the aorus website and yeah my board has a bios update from early June saying compatibility with next gen intel processors! Jump from 12900k to 14900k should be decent

Associate
I experienced this same issue when I first installed my Trio X 4090 and water block for my custom loop a few days ago. Would randomly black screen 4 or 5 times throughout the entire day, but the keyboard etc would still be responsive. I initially thought the GPU wasn't seated correctly, but it was fine. Thought perhaps the card was faulty. I just used the standard PCI-E splitter that came supplied with the GPU.

I then DDU'd in Safe Mode, fresh installed the newest driver, updated my motherboard BIOS and chipset drivers to the latest ones, and thankfully haven't experienced it since.

Since the post above, I've experienced black screens over the last few days, but not nearly as frequent, and now only during gaming, not on idle like it was before. I re-installed the vBios as well just to be sure I'm covering all bases.

From doing some research elsewhere, apparently the VRAM chips on 4090 cards don't like being cold. The hotter it runs, the more stable they are, apparently. This is exacerbated by water-cooling as it keeps the memory cooler for longer once your GPU intensive work starts, increasingly the likelihood of an error or crash if you overclock the memory whilst it warms up.

Solutions are to install thinner thermal pads to drive more heat into them asap, or don't cover the entirety of each VRAM module with pads to do the same.

Soldato
Any idea what the title could be caused by. Guessing its GPU related. but its only started happening in the last few days or so. Its completely intermittent too. It can happen non stop for hours, making it unusable. and then I can leave it, come back hours later and play all night with no issues.

Its happened twice today. but am currently using the system fine. Lovely for it to happen during a work deadline!

its a 4090 but I have it custom watercooled and power limited at 97% I also monitor temps so I don't think its a heat issue. Seemed to happen most during sudden bouts of intense raytracing. using marmoset toolbag to render a scene.

You have an AW3423DW.

What refresh rates are you running at?

The reason I ask, is that they have a fair old data rate when they get going, especially if you are using HDR. Are you sure your cable is good enough? A poor cable will result in the screen going black, and I certainly have seen circumstances where it only comes back again with a reset.

Back
Top Bottom