Random Famous People You Met

Soldato
I met Sean Pertwee at a Chelsea football match in Stanford bridge while buying beers.

I just walked over and said I thought he was awesome in Dog Soldiers :D. Shook his hand and walked off

taB

taB

Associate
When I first met Michael Owen it was a cold November day about 3 years ago and I was extolling the virtues of long johns as part of my small talk given the chilly weather.

Had no idea who he was until my team extracted the urine...

Soldato
I met Greg James a few weeks ago at work while he was doing his tour around Britain in a campervan. Had a decent chat to him about a local curry house and the quality of their vegan options. I'm sure I bored him silly but he was a really lovely chap! Especially as he'd been stuck in said camper van for days in 30 degree heat.
Did you also tell him that his pointless features on his show are just dumb and boring and he should stop talking so much and play more music? :D

Soldato
I've met / spoke to a few, but I don't know much about celebrities or sports so I often only realized after the event.

Brian May - seemed nice but was very quiet.
Michael Palin - spoke to him on a client's phone without knowing it was him.
Max Verstappen - a friend got talking to him in Monaco, I thought he was just a random guy who had a shared interest in cars. Spoke to him for a couple of minutes about old Ferraris.
Jack Whitehall - talked to him for a few minutes in the smoking area of a pub, thought he seemed vaguely familiar but it only clicked several hours afterwards.
Eddie Jordan - not sure if this one counts as he only smiled and waved at me after I let him out of the exit to the Fairmont in Monaco, didn't actually speak to him.

I've met a lot of famous Mexican politicians through my wife's family, and a well known "narco" used to live in my street, he was subsequently arrested. Those probably don't count either though.

I'm also friends with a semi famous sports commentator who has introduced me to various actors in NYC over the years, never had any idea who they were and can't remember any of their names, but they've always been interesting to talk to.

Soldato
Adam Faith once he was very bright and breezy and very friendly come to think of it that was not long before he died. Saw Kate Humble at a train station once she didn't look like she wanted to be troubled with chatting with a random stranger on a platform. Nearly bumped into Judi Dench or rather her into us she came out of a theatre door and hurried past must have thought we were autograph hunters or something I didn't even think about it at first "do you know who that was...?" Walked past the paintings expert from Antiques Roadshow on a Bath street street once, once stood less than 20 foot from the Queen when she paid an official visit to town mum worked in a place that overlooked the square we got to lean out of window and wave, we were kids... theres probably several more I don't remember just know

Oh and some members of the cast of a TV show went to a convention and paid for their autographs not sure if that counts...

Last edited:
Soldato
An impressive thread. It's an interesting read.

My list starts when I was young my parents took me to a lot of seaside towns and we'd visit the shows. Back when I was young I was very ill, so got to talk to the performers back stage. So I met; Cannon and Ball (though I knew Bobby Ball through family), Joe Longthorne, Shirley Bassey, Jimmy Tarbuck, and The Grumbleweeds.

I went to a special school so they always had famous sports people either coming to visit, or we'd go on trips out. The footballers in the list visited the school, while the snooker players we saw and chatted to them at the guild hall in Preston; Peter Shilton, Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes, Gary Neville, Stephen Hendry, Steve Davies, Jimmy White.

I met the original girl who played teenage Tracy in Coronation Street, Dawn Acton. That was at some charity. I was young so all I remember doing was leap frogging people to raise money.

I also met Princess Diana and Richard Madeley at a tree planting ceremony for the ground work trust.

Probably the most infamous person I've met was Tony Blair before Labour won the 1997 election.

Soldato
I've met a few random people over the years, Celia Imre in Stratford Upon Avon, Peter Reid often uses our local Indian, spoke to Andy Burnham in Sainsbury's and I often see Kirk from Coronation Street when I'm walking the dog :D. My dad met Joe Frazier in a bar in Philadelphia, and used to get the odd text which I thought was cool. :cool:

Man of Honour
My dad met Joe Frazier in a bar in Philadelphia, and used to get the odd text which I thought was cool. :cool:

Reminds me - friend of mine met Pierce Brosnan while on holiday abroad, who was a big fan, just said hi apparently and got told to go away in language that would get me banned here to repeat heh.

Man of Honour
Reminds me - friend of mine met Pierce Brosnan while on holiday abroad, who was a big fan, just said hi apparently and got told to go away in language that would get me banned here to repeat heh.

I’m not famous so I don’t get strangers meeting me in the street or supermarket and wanting to talk with me, but I’m inclined to think that I wouldn’t be happy with it after a while, and would very likely tell persistent ones to go and attempt the sexually impossible, or just to blank off.
As an afterthought, I find that I’m having to Google a lot of the names that are being mentioned, should I be concerned, or is it because I don’t watch a great deal of TV, and I can’t recall the last time that I was in a cinema, I think that it was to watch “Saving Private Ryan” when it originally shown in U.K.

Associate
Hmmm, lets see... somewhat random encounters included:

Sir William Blair nearly 15 years ago. Had a polite conversation.
Michael Jackson, during the height of their fame in the 80s. Ran away with family in other direction as a mob was forming and it was unsafe to stick around in such a scene.
John De Lancie, during early 2000s. Gave a polite nod to Q, who returned the favour.
Gordon Liu, during mid 90s, also a polite nod exchange.
Harold Ramis, during mid 80s, soon after Ghostbusters blew up. No exchange there as they were intensely reading something.

A whole bunch of TVB and other HK actors and actresses that are rather famous but that doesn't really count, since we went in the studios as original (early 60s, pre-Bruce Lee getting famous and was still a little kid) workers +1's returning for visit. (ie effectively backstage passes)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

• Ricky Gervais - in London. Politely said hello and he stopped for a 5 min chat.
  • Olly Murs - in London (same day as Gervais). He came in to the hotel we stayed at and bought everyone in the bar a few drinks. Top bloke.
  • Les Dennis - local theatre. He was performing in the panto at the time and came out of the back of the building as I was walking past. It was around the time that Extras had come out on TV.
  • Joe Calzaghe - in a hospital in Caerphilly. I was working in the minor injury unit at the time and he came in demanding to be seen ASAP... he played the "do you know who I am?" card. Disappointed.
  • Charlotte Church - in a lift. Was watching a local rugby game and she was there to support her boyfriend at the time. I was riding the lift from the VIP area when she got in.
  • Dave Murray (Guitarist for Iron Maiden) at a gig. My mate asked him to sign his t-shirt and he wrote "to Andy please" :D
  • Justin Hawkins (Front man for The Darkness) at a gig. Spent a few hours in the bar with a group of us.
  • Steve Vai - backstage in Birmingham. He was 3hrs late to the show we'd paid for, so they gave us Meet and Greet tickets to the next show a week later.
  • Joe Satriani - backstage in Cardiff. It was around about the time he was rumoured to be recording for Chickenfoot (super group) and was impressed that I asked about it.

Capodecina
Soldato
Joe Calzaghe - in a hospital in Caerphilly. I was working in the minor injury unit at the time and he came in demanding to be seen ASAP... he played the "do you know who I am?" card. Disappointed.

I would have said no. No idea who he is. Just had to look him up.

Back
Top Bottom