Rant

Man of Honour
It’s a speed limit, not a target.

This is true - but its incredibly frustrating. And whilst we are able to quietly seethe and then argue about how annoying it is on the internet, I wonder how many hot headed people lose their rag and end up performing ridiculous and unsafe overtakes they wouldn't have done if everyone was driving at the appropriate speed for the road? You only need to see some of the moronic driving that goes on when somebody has to sit behind a cyclist on a B road for more than 20 seconds :(

Caporegime
This is true - but its incredibly frustrating. And whilst we are able to quietly seethe and then argue about how annoying it is on the internet, I wonder how many hot headed people lose their rag and end up performing ridiculous and unsafe overtakes they wouldn't have done if everyone was driving at the appropriate speed for the road? You only need to see some of the moronic driving that goes on when somebody has to sit behind a cyclist on a B road for more than 20 seconds :(
True enough, happens all the time when I’m in my truck, I can be going along at the limit and to the driver behind the “it’s a big slow truck, I must get past” mentality kicks in, cue dangerous overtake which has at times ended in disaster, one such occasion I was doing 30 in a 40 zone, traffic was busy and lots of people crossing the road, I slowed to allow for someone who was getting a child into a car parked at the roadside, idiot behind sees chance to overtake, floors it past me only to then hit a car that had taken advantage of me slowing to pull out from his space on the opposite side to me.

I took great pleasure telling him I’d got it all on my dashcam - I know you hate them! :p - and would be presenting it to the police (the driver of the car he hit was quite badly injured) which I duly did.
Frustration is a very bad thing behind the wheel, I’d argue it’s amongst the higher reasons for accidents occurring.

Man of Honour
Frustration is a very bad thing behind the wheel, I’d argue it’s amongst the higher reasons for accidents occurring.

And yet many areas of road design seem to ignore this. I've lost count of the number of times on NSL A roads that the only long straight safe for overtaking for miles has a speed camera in the middle of it... so where do the morons overtake? In the dodgy bits without the speed camera..

Caporegime
And yet many areas of road design seem to ignore this. I've lost count of the number of times on NSL A roads that the only long straight safe for overtaking for miles has a speed camera in the middle of it... so where do the morons overtake? In the dodgy bits without the speed camera..
That’s because it’s nothing to do with safety they are all about revenue, they are positioned where they (the road “safety” team) know they’ll get hits.

This isn’t anecdotal, my partner has 22 years with Staffordshire Police, it’s common knowledge within the force that cameras are a revenue stream for Government. (not incidentally the Force in question)

Soldato
This isn’t anecdotal, my partner has 22 years with Staffordshire Police, it’s common knowledge within the force that cameras are a revenue stream for Government. (not incidentally the Force in question)
Ironically, this is probably the best example of the word 'anecdotal' I've ever seen.

Soldato
I was driving down the A1 yesterday, the road ahead merged from 3 lanes into 2, so before the merge I indicated well in advance and moved over. The idiot in a vectra behind me must have been doing 90+ and nearly ended up hitting the back of me as I moved over. He zoomed past beeping at me like a bloody mad man. Idiot! Slow the ***** down.

If you want to witness idiot driving through, come to Lincoln. You'll see some right gems.

Loads of people drive through red lights, but I've seen a few who stop at green ones :D

Soldato
I don't agree with all this zen let it wash over you stuff.

Chase after them and ram them off the road,if they aren't too seriously injured take a tire iron to their car and then hit them with it a few times also (avoid the head though you don't want to kill them).

This is the only way the driving standards will improve, get out there and make it happen peeps.

Soldato
After driving for over 30 years, the standards of driving are definitely getting worse IMO. People in stationary traffic blocking junctions and roundabouts, steady 40mph through NSL and 30mph zones, and my current pet hate, which I see several drivers a day doing recently, is totally ignoring red lights and just driving through. Bloody dangerous. It's like people are on autopilot or something.

Having driven for 25 years in Oxfordshire I'd say its the same... Maybe lots of stupid people in your area?

Soldato
Loads of people drive through red lights, but I've seen a few who stop at green ones :D
Standard in Bristol too, the lights mean nothing, along with yellow box markings meaning little or double yellows etc. It's quite impressive to see the number of people that just totally ignore the rules, disturbing too mind.

Oh and it's usually professional drivers that do the stupidest and most illegal things around here.

Old clip from when I was bored and had a camera in the car, don't bother with it now, I'd be forever getting footage off it otherwise.

Soldato
Idiots who drive Range Rover ‘sports’ do my head in. Mostly bellends and mostly balding middle aged men driving like aggressive berks.

Young lads in one series BMW’s who think they are in a hot hatch.

Complete cretins who can’t maintain a constant speed up a hill.

People who block junctions.

People who indicate once they have started a turn.

People who don’t indicate at all. My father in law will happily drive into a roundabout and just go where he feels like without indicating - I look on in shame from the passenger seat as people glare at him, beep and gesture because they have slammed their anchors on whilst he makes his mind up - he is utterly oblivious to all of this of course.

People who can’t prosecute a three point turn as they have absolutely no concept of the extremities of their vehicle.

People who will happily sit at 30 in a 40.

Soldato
Standard in Bristol too, the lights mean nothing, along with yellow box markings meaning little or double yellows etc. It's quite impressive to see the number of people that just totally ignore the rules, disturbing too mind.

Oh and it's usually professional drivers that do the stupidest and most illegal things around here.

Old clip from when I was bored and had a camera in the car, don't bother with it now, I'd be forever getting footage off it otherwise.

That's actually normal in Lincoln, in fact after the car goes through the red light you'll see another two follow lol

Man of Honour
Complete cretins who can’t maintain a constant speed up a hill.

I will say again on this note possibly due to being an automatic - mine will change on a hill in situations you wouldn't or would have done so pre-emptively with manual with the result that either speed drops off a bit or you get a sudden surge of power.

EDIT: Some but definitely not all complaints about driver traits I think come from people not understanding how automatics behave - for instance complaints about people sitting in queues with their brake lights on - but mine does that anyhow unless I go through the full process of parking - during which you have to stay on the brake anyhow (vehicle creeps forward otherwise and you need to use the brake to enable changing out of drive) so unless it is a really long queue it is pointless.

Man of Honour
I will say again on this note possibly due to being an automatic - mine will change on a hill in situations you wouldn't or would have done so pre-emptively with manual with the result that either speed drops off a bit or you get a sudden surge of power.

This must only be a thing with naff autos as I've never really had an issue with that.

Man of Honour
This must only be a thing with naff autos as I've never really had an issue with that.

Used to be the story with a lot of older autos, should be less so with some modern ones - I think the "problem" with mine is it was apparently developed for the 370Z and isn't really appropriate for a pickup truck - if you drive "briskly" it behaves beautifully but more sensible driving there is a bit of a "deadzone".

Caporegime
Agreed. People not knowing what NSL signs are, doing 40mph all the time on single carriageway roads despite an NSL or even a 50 sign and people braking for no reason are some of my biggest annoyances. Along with lane hoggers, people who indicate and lane change immediately and many others.

I don't know how people can be such crap drivers that they can do these things on a daily basis, but somehow they seem to get away with it and there's nothing we can do about it except sit back, give them space and accept that they're crap.

I want one of those LED signs that stick to the rear window that I can type messages on “this road is 60mph!” As I overtaken them and then drive off.

Man of Honour
It gets worse and worse. People go through red lights, coast in outer lanes on empty roads, don’t give way on roundabouts, seem to stick at 40mph regardless of road and speed limit.

Ha! I've thought about something like that so many times before

Yup. Most people here do 30-40mph in most 60 roads. People just seem to like to coast home. It is infuriating on almost a daily basis. Then they flash you when you overtake!

Back
Top Bottom