Rant

Caporegime
No no no! Leave them in the middle lane! Once you get used to driving inverted you can simply pass them all on the left.

The UK's driving standards are horrific, absolute trash. People, in general, are retards.

Soldato
Soldato
No no no! Leave them in the middle lane! Once you get used to driving inverted you can simply pass them all on the left.

The UK's driving standards are horrific, absolute trash. People, in general, are retards.
To be fair the only comparison I have is driving in India, so the UK is fantastic for me :D

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I like to entertain myself by passing middle lane hoggers on the left then letting them undertake me after I move to the outside lane then rinse-repeat until they get the hint.

Man of Honour
Ah had someone tonight hugging my tail for a couple of miles - could see what was going to happen a mile off - coming around a corner to a set of traffic lights with a car waiting then a keep clear box which I pulled up before they nearly went into the back of me because they thought I'd stop behind the car at the lights themselves in the keep clear box - cue predictable angry gestures.

Have no idea why people tailgate like that usually trying seemingly to get you to speed up but if someone does it I like many just slow down to reduce the potential for an accident.

Associate
Gloucestershire is a good place to see this craziness. Cirencester has several roundabouts and the amount of times I've seen people in the left lane turn right i.e. go the whole way around the roundabout is absolutely astonishing. And 9/10 times they're not even indicating!

And, as mentioned by many, the 40 in a 60 scourge is alive and well around here! Whilst it is a maximum speed, you'd fail your driving test driving at that percent slower than the limit (a mate of mine failed as he was constantly doing 20 in a 30, mind this was years ago and well before all these 20 zones were introduced).

Soldato
Soldato
Gloucestershire is a good place to see this craziness. Cirencester has several roundabouts and the amount of times I've seen people in the left lane turn right i.e. go the whole way around the roundabout is absolutely astonishing. And 9/10 times they're not even indicating!

And, as mentioned by many, the 40 in a 60 scourge is alive and well around here! Whilst it is a maximum speed, you'd fail your driving test driving at that percent slower than the limit (a mate of mine failed as he was constantly doing 20 in a 30, mind this was years ago and well before all these 20 zones were introduced).
Yep, not "making progress" I think it's called

Soldato
Firstly, I genuinely think that most drivers don’t know what the NSL sign actually is
I believe it too.

And after 2 years of driving, I was driving down a road, very close to home (still living with parents, and my mum would have driven on this road loads of times) with my mum in the car. She told me "to slow down it's a 40 here". There was a 40 sign and then a NSL sign. I said no it's national speed limit, you know the big white circle with a black diagonal line through it. She didn't know what that sign meant and she's been on the road for 30 years. Absolutely mind boggling. And that's my mother.

Edit:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...sts-don-t-know-national-speed-limit-sign.html

There you go 31% of motorists don't know what the NSL sign means. Absolutely mental.

Associate
I believe it too.

And after 2 years of driving, I was driving down a road, very close to home (still living with parents, and my mum would have driven on this road loads of times) with my mum in the car. She told me "to slow down it's a 40 here". There was a 40 sign and then a NSL sign. I said no it's national speed limit, you know the big white circle with a black diagonal line through it. She didn't know what that sign meant and she's been on the road for 30 years. Absolutely mind boggling. And that's my mother.

Edit:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...sts-don-t-know-national-speed-limit-sign.html

There you go 31% of motorists don't know what the NSL sign means. Absolutely mental.

It really is mental, but not the least bit surprising. It really would be easier to get rid of the NSL and put numbers up. No excuses that way, but I do wonder if it would actually alter the driving habits of these people who, in all likelihood, have been driving like that, on that road, for years and years. These same people are usually the types who will flash you (because you've dared overtaken them doing 40 in a 60) but will continue doing that 40 through a town/village with no care in the world where it is usually very clear it is a 30. The mind boggles, but I genuinely think they just have no clue.

Soldato
It really is mental, but not the least bit surprising. It really would be easier to get rid of the NSL and put numbers up. No excuses that way, but I do wonder if it would actually alter the driving habits of these people who, in all likelihood, have been driving like that, on that road, for years and years. These same people are usually the types who will flash you (because you've dared overtaken them doing 40 in a 60) but will continue doing that 40 through a town/village with no care in the world where it is usually very clear it is a 30. The mind boggles, but I genuinely think they just have no clue.
Would be a bit of a mess though with numbers because of the different rules for vans etc.

Man of Honour

AFAIK it is signed NSL because different classifications of vehicles have different speed limits on those roads.

Beaten above - but for instance our work vans are theoretically limited to 50mph on a NSL main road and 60 on a dual carriage way whereas on a motorway they can do 70 while other types of vehicles are limited to 60.

I find that second point annoying as well - on my way to work there are a couple of sections that narrows to barely enough for two cars to pass with warnings, etc. but those drivers still continue at a steady 40 MPH through those sections without a care in the world despite 20/30 limits.

Associate
My observation today.. A46 dual carriageway near Warwick, rush hour, pretty busy and fast moving traffic.. And a guy on a mountain bike chooses that route to cycle down, which imo is dangerous at best, especially with no high vis clothing, no lights and no helmet..

Soldato
My observation today.. A46 dual carriageway near Warwick, rush hour, pretty busy and fast moving traffic.. And a guy on a mountain bike chooses that route to cycle down, which imo is dangerous at best, especially with no high vis clothing, no lights and no helmet..
What cyclist *crunch*. I don't get cyclists that choose ttogo on the road where there is a proper path for them right next to it. Should be outlawed Imo.

Personally I have no issues with people who do 40 in a 60 when its a road thats clearly not easy to navigate at 60.
because they may :
Not know the road
May have an issue with their car
May not be confident
Could know about a pothole or other obstacle I dont
etc etc
I would rather my journey took a few more minutes than someone not feeling confident to travel at 60 on a road that may or may not be suitable for said speed is forced to do so in order to keep people (whos ability to accurately assess risk is unproven) happy ;)

NSL means the road is unclassified, ie it may well not be safe at anywhere near 60.

There is a reason that far more accidents happen on NSL roads (per portion of miles travelled on them) than any other road

Back
Top Bottom