• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raptor Lake Leaks + Intel 4 developments

Soldato
OP
I imagine you can crank up the voltage to 1.5-1.6v, as the screenshot shows above. Most people will want something stable that runs reasonably cool, has good endurance and can be run 24/7 doing whatever.

It would be way simpler just to buy lower voltage modules and just set their speed with XMP / EXPO. Latency or whatever isn't going to be an issue, because the total latency will be lower anyway (even if they did raise the CAS latency above 40), and most people buy higher frequency RAM to get more bandwidth. The Samsung chips likely coming in late 2023 are designed to run at 1.1v, which is the original JEDEC spec for DDR5, but at 7200 MT/s. No doubt it will be possible to achieve even higher frequencies than that though.

In the meantime, I think using DDR5 6000 MT/s modules should give good performance, maybe overclocking the frequency a bit and raising voltage if temp allows (it depends also if you are using a LGA1700 or AM5 system).

EDIT - I've been reading that Samsung's new DRAM fabrication process (EUV) allows a reduction in power usage (~20%), so perhaps this explains the lower voltages?
Link:

Soldato
OP
It looks like there will be quite a gap in the max single core speed, between the 13900K (max 5.8ghz on 2 cores) down to the 13700K (max 5.4ghz on 2 cores).

Soldato
OP
Price is really coming down on 8GB DDR5 modules (~£34), could be tempting for some to just buy one or two of these and wait for the higher speed Samsung modules (for consumers) to be released... Then sell the low spec DDR5.

Soldato
OP
@Robert896r1 - Cheers for the work put in, clearly a nice boost to minimum FPS (which I think is the metric people will notice during gameplay).

I'm with you up until last optimization. Definitely think E-cores off, HT off can help (in many games), OCing Ring/CPU cache also (probably more than ppl think).

Might be tempted to leave E-cores on generally, though.

I tend to think higher DDR frequency is worth it, depending on the voltage required. Over 1.4v, not sure...

Not sure about the benefits of tweaking RAM timings, it's true that this can give you a few less nanoseconds of latency in some tests, but these are billionths of a second.

It won't hurt to tweak RAM timings, but it's not clear to me why one would put the time in to test it and reach stability.

Soldato
OP
Main gain for 13th gen is ~5ghz (or more) on all cores, for the 13600K and above. Zen 4 does the same thing, but for all models (although 7600X not so cheap at launch...).

The main ppl who will gain will be those who buy mid end CPUs (priced around $300?).

Soldato
OP
The 8 P core 13700f will probably be the most interesting model of the 13th gen (releasing in 2023), due to the (reported) all core speeds of 5.1ghz:

It's too bad that the prices on these will probably be around £400 inc VAT, and another hundred for the unlocked variant. Adding another 4 E-cores won't help with the prices.

Total system power probably similar to the 12700, at around 260w:

Blender_Power.png

Soldato
OP
Another thing to note is, the 12/13th gen isn't any cheaper for 8 (high power) cores than AMD + Zen 4. Also, Intel isn't rushing to release the cheaper locked models, so I kind hope they get smashed up by AMD this time around and learn from their mistake. Nor will we see cheaper LGA1700 B760 boards until next year, so 2 obvious advantages to an AMD build.

It's hard to recommend LGA1700 for a new PC build, maybe worth it but depends on cost. Sounds like the new boards will be DDR5 only, so I wonder how Intel will encourage people to make the switch to DDR5 (which benefits them in the long run)?

Soldato
OP
possibly. But usually, the next gen CPU at a lower tier overtakes the current generation, and offers a better price/performance ratio. No reason why this won't happen with 'Intel 4' (meteor lake) and 'Intel 3' based CPUs.

Soldato
OP
So, buy an Intel CPU if you want more cores (and therefore multithreaded performance). It's not really a focus for AMD. I would guess that the max core count will improve on Ryzen CPUs, as the process technology (almost certainly TSMC) improves and matures, and demand for >8 cores gradually increases.

Soldato
OP
So what your saying is buy Intel if you want more performance now or buy AMD if you want to spend more cash for less performance as its not AMDs focus right now but have the ability to spend even more cash on a CPU upgrade in a few years as the current one didn't have enough performance to last.
Or, just keep posting here if you enjoy shilling for Intel.

Soldato
OP
Full specs have been 'leaked' onto the web for the 13th generation and Z790 chipset:

Not much too say really, no real surprises. Turbo Power consumption for the unlocked i9s (253w) is a bit higher than the 12th gen's 12900K and 12900KS, clocks are a bit higher too. Biggest difference is more E-cores + increase in CPU caches, as was previously known.

Notably, the 13700K and KF total power usage is also 253w, quite a bit higher than the 190w total power consumption of the 12700K and KF. Decent cooling not optional. Looks like high end cooling will be required to overclock.

Same total number of lanes on the Z790 platform, with more PCIE 4 lanes. Lowest DDR5 supported RAM speed is now 5600 MT/s. DDR4 support the same. Max USB 3.2 2x2 ports increased by 1.

No mention of changes to the IMC / memory controller gears.

No mention of the locked versions of these CPUs, or the cheaper B760 chipset motherboards, so these must be coming around Q1 2023.

Back
Top Bottom