Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

This game was also supposed to require the direct storage feature on the PS5. I wonder if it will have any minimum nvme type requirements on the PC?

It runs on a HDD on PC. Apparently Windows DirectStorage supports this - the next bit is my own thoughts - it's possible that Microsoft's Windows implementation of DirectStorage is actually so fantastic that it matches the PS5's subsystems (or at least well enough to run R&C). We will know in a week or so!

DS works with HDDs, this has been known since day 1, it's just that whilst it will be much faster than loading raw off a HDD, it won't be as fast as loading off an SSD. So expect a momentary "loading" I guess, but not the instant loading that you'd see from an SSD.

Even a SATA SSD is capable of a few GB/sec throughput when runing the avocado bench which uses DS 1.2, so anything SATA and up will leverage Direct Storage for seamless "rifting" around I am confident, given that it's NIxxes doing the port.

Last edited:
It runs on a HDD on PC.
For 720p 30fps according to the recommended specs. The other quality levels all require a SSD.

This game was also supposed to require the direct storage feature on the PS5. I wonder if it will have any minimum nvme type requirements on the PC?
I’m going to guess that it will preload as much as possible into system RAM to help minimise the difference in gaming experience between the different speeds of SSD available.

What would be an interesting test is to pick a quality level and see if having more RAM than recommend changes anything.

Last edited:
I’m going to guess that it will preload as much as possible into system RAM to help minimise the difference in gaming experience between the different speeds of SSD available.

What would be an interesting test is to pick a quality level and see if having more RAM than recommend changes anything.

what?

The game uses GPU streaming, not SSD to CPU streaming and it's not going to preload data into RAM, it's going to stream data in real-time into GPU memory.

The biggest impact on performance will the user's GPU and how well that GPU can decompress compressed game data from the storage drive.

As for how the game minimize the variance in experience for different levels of hardware - the game uses dynamic texture and asset optimization. The way this works is the game automatically changes the quality of the image based on how fast your PC is able to load data; so the game to an extent ignores the graphics settings you selected in the options menu and gives you the graphics your PC can actually handle.

Last edited:
You will definitely get loading on this game.

This is just another platform to put this game on to them. Doubt developers are trying to recreate the PS5 experience on PC. They just want to get this game running on PC, anything else is an bonus.

Will my PC support direct storage 1.2? Intel 660p (PCI-E Gen 3.0) on a B350F Motherboard? I know direct storage initially is technically supported?

The game looks amazing and really fun, I just hope I'm not disappointed with the performance, no reason with DLSS Quality (maybe frame gen?), at 4k should be getting excellent performance I'd expect from a 4080 else something is wrong.

Will my PC support direct storage 1.2? Intel 660p (PCI-E Gen 3.0) on a B350F Motherboard? I know direct storage initially is technically supported?

The game looks amazing and really fun, I just hope I'm not disappointed with the performance, no reason with DLSS Quality (maybe frame gen?), at 4k should be getting excellent performance I'd expect from a 4080 else something is wrong.

Yea your rtx4080 supports it. It's only your gpu that matters the rest of your system does not

what?

The game uses GPU streaming, not SSD to CPU streaming and it's not going to preload data into RAM, it's going to stream data in real-time into GPU memory.

The biggest impact on performance will the user's GPU and how well that GPU can decompress compressed game data from the storage drive.

It seems that neither of us understand how it works.
21172646434l.jpg

As for how the game minimize the variance in experience for different levels of hardware - the game uses dynamic texture and asset optimization. The way this works is the game automatically changes the quality of the image based on how fast your PC is able to load data; so the game to an extent ignores the graphics settings you selected in the options menu and gives you the graphics your PC can actually handle.
Confirmed or speculation?

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
It seems that neither of us understand how it works.
21172646434l.jpg

Confirmed or speculation?

Your diagram is for direct storage 1.0 or 1.1.

Direct storage 1.2 is what ratchet and clank uses and it's data flow diagram is differen: it starts at the ssd (or hdd) and flows to GPU, the steps with the CPU and RAM are not there, they are skipped

It should look more like this, system RAM is not used like in your diagram

Last edited:
Your diagram is for direct storage 1.0 or 1.1.

Direct storage 1.2 is what ratchet and clank uses and it's data flow diagram is differen: it starts at the ssd (or hdd) and flows to GPU, the steps with the CPU and RAM are not there, they are skipped

It should look more like this, system RAM is not used like in your diagram

I've had a look at DS 1.2, and I could not find any information to say that it has changed to what you are suggesting.

It seems like the big changes in 1.2 was buffered requests.

Also I thought the the Nvidia image was from before DS 1 was even released

looking forward to this hopefully can run with all the bells and whistles on an 3080 @ 1440p also interested in how DirectStorage 1.2 will be :)

I have an NVMe that has a direct storage optimised firmware, as well as the same model that isn't the direct storage variant, so will be installing the game on both drives and measuring performance. This is a unique scenario where the technology can really be put to the test.

I'll also slap it on a SATA SSD connected to a USB 3.1 enclosure for kicks to see how fast that loads.

Hopefully the game has a built in benchmark to be able to have consistent measurements.

Edit*
RTXIO details for the game:

Last edited:
I had a look at the gameplay footage in more detail. Don't think this is my cup of tea. I am basically excited for the tech rather than the game. Will skip it for now and maybe grab it once it is closer to a tenner when I have nothing to play.

Back
Top Bottom