• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ray Tracing - Do we care?

Ray Tracing - Do you care?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
You are just making up stuff. The demos rleased have been using Microsoft DXR.

It might be but Nvidia might also have a it's own proprietary layer. If RT is part of game work then I think we can safely say this isn't DX12 tech and will be Nvidia only and limited to two graphics cards.

Caporegime
Sigh, a shame more people didn't give their feedback on Raytracing and instead decided to make it about VRR (which there are plenty of threads that talk about that).

Anyways to try and steer the thread on topic. Great to see UE4 is good with realtime raytracing.

Hopefully devs will jump on it and put it to full use. I quite like the idea of playing games that look like movies!

Soldato
The RTX cards won’t save content creators any work if said creators have to accommodate mid tier RTX cards and lower Tier GTX cards at the same time, it’s creating work!
Many games are already developed with RT and having a decent card drastically cuts down on the time needed to create a game. Developers instead of waiting minuets or hours can create the scene within seconds and if they don't like it adjust it in practically real time. A 2 hour job can be done in minuets which is a massive amount of work saved. Many games people play today are deigned with RT.

Associate
If we talk about the future, sure in 5-7 years time we should be able to achieve the above numbers in single top of the range GPU.
But not right now, nor next year.
Also between the Geforce 256 (1999) and GTX780 there were greater leaps every year in that 14 years span, compared to the next 4 years (GTX780 to GTX1080Ti (2017)).
Yet still parts of NVidia were up to 5 years behind than AMD by that point in time. (DX12, hardware async compute, hardware ray tracing).
And possible two of the above will be behind for the next couple of years also, if not implemented in the Turing cards.

So we might be comparing apples and oranges taking the 256 and comparing it straight way to 1080ti as indication of evolution over the 18 years.
And possibly ignoring the effect of Moores Law from 1999 – 2017! But as Jason Jensen Huang mentioned in the keynote digital artists and developers will use new features and technology to the maximum of its capability as soon as it’s available and there’s massive potential for using real time GPU raytracing to drive baked reflections and shaders in existing pipelines which will also speed up and improve production. It took a while for Global Illumination and Final Gathering to be viable for anything other than the highest end of visual FX production, now it’s standard to use in everyday rendering pipelines at all levels in many industries.

Last edited:
Soldato
So still no VVR support on the RTX cards?

I don't know, they aren't out yet. If they have a HDMI 2.1 port then they will have support for VRR on that side of things at least. I would be very surprised if they have support for the optional display port adaptive sync standard, but who knows at this stage.

Soldato
I didn’t know what Ray Tracing was, I had to google it, and now I have I’m not interested in it in the slightest, don’t get me wrong, I’m interested in the the GPU’s as I’m itching to upgrade from my r9-290 but as far as Ray Tracing is concerned, I couldn’t care less.
I don't think you understand what ray tracing is.

Soldato
Sigh, a shame more people didn't give their feedback on Raytracing and instead decided to make it about VRR (which there are plenty of threads that talk about that).

Anyways to try and steer the thread on topic. Great to see UE4 is good with realtime raytracing.

Hopefully devs will jump on it and put it to full use. I quite like the idea of playing games that look like movies!

Mate the video is pre-backed with ray tracing added in "real time". It is not 100% real time generated by the Unreal Engine.

bru

bru

Soldato
Mate the video is pre-backed with ray tracing added in "real time". It is not 100% real time generated by the Unreal Engine.

Can we have some verification on this please, as I'm sure Jensen said on stage that this was 100% real time, but I may be wrong there.

Soldato
Can we have some verification on this please, as I'm sure Jensen said on stage that this was 100% real time, but I may be wrong there.

God, don't trust what he says. He was holding up a brick on stage and saying it was the full fat GF100 die we had all been dreaming of...

Soldato
@jigger

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...just-how-great-real-time-raytracing-can-look/

The ray tracing lighting is real time, the graphics like walls rooms, environment is not as they were rasterized. And all these at 1080p 24fps

Now if many of you feel happy to buy a $10000 GPU playing games at 1080p 24fps please feel free. The rest of us we do prefer more reasonable cheaper solutions, better resolutions and fps :D

Associate

So long as the movie is worth watching and doesn't just look pretty...

Nothing worse than playing a game that looks great but sucks to actually play.

Hopefully that isn't going to be what we get out of RT in games. Devs throwing candy at it and hoping it makes up for gameplay.

Soldato
@jigger

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...just-how-great-real-time-raytracing-can-look/

The ray tracing lighting is real time, the graphics like walls rooms, environment is not as they were rasterized. And all these at 1080p 24fps

Now if many of you feel happy to buy a $10000 GPU playing games at 1080p 24fps please feel free. The rest of us we do prefer more reasonable cheaper solutions, better resolutions and fps :D

I think it might be 24fps for the video side of things... Has to be?

Soldato
I think it might be 24fps for the video side of things... Has to be?

If you watch Jensen at the presentation he states, while showcasing the video, that this is 10G rays/s on the actual video pushing the card to the limits, and the new card replaced the previous generation multi quadro GPU solution (I believe he said 4 quadro) showcasing the same video back in March.

That is the full stretch of the RTX quadro can do

As @4K8KW10 said here
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32042650/

4K 60fps requires 199G rays/s plus approximately 10x this number for noise reduction.
That is 2000G rays/s. With the $10000 card doing 10G rays/s do you believe you will have a RTX2080Ti capable of doing that?
Hell even if we only need 199G rays/s still need a card more powerfull by 20 times over the more powerful RTX Quadro which costs $10,000

Sure in 10 years time, might be able to get a xxx80Ti with that capability, but not on Monday, nor this decade.

And is down to pure simple mathematics.

Personally I am up for ray tracing, but not liking the marketing mockery, because the numbers do not add up.

Back
Top Bottom