• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raytracing - Would you buy in to it now?

Soldato
The difference is you can still buy a standard camera or car that won't do a 155mph, with the new Gpus there is no option to buy say a GTX3080 that just focuses on raster with no RT cores and comes in £100 cheaper, I'm sure if there was then many people would be interested.
No but that’s not how the world works.

It’s difficult to buy anything high end that doesn’t have features you might not use. You can’t buy a top end dslr without video and you can’t buy a mid-top end car without having features you’ll never use. You can’t buy a top end gpu without rt cores, but you can buy a cheaper gpu without rt cores.

Soldato
No but that’s not how the world works.

It’s difficult to buy anything high end that doesn’t have features you might not use. You can’t buy a top end dslr without video and you can’t buy a mid-top end car without having features you’ll never use. You can’t buy a top end gpu without rt cores, but you can buy a cheaper gpu without rt cores.
So which newly released nvidia ampere GPU can you buy that doesn't have RT cores? And are 60 class cards now considered high end?

Associate
Subscribe to a game pass trial for a quid and try Medium. That’s got new levels of ray tracing and DLSAs implemented. Needs a beefy rig though.
Used a 3 month free pass that came with my old 3600x cpu,so doubt i can do it again. I have an RX6800 so no dls to implement . To be honest i'm not that bothered . I'm playing The Outer Worlds at the moment,that looks awful to me. But gameplay is great so don't notice it much

Associate
Control ultra + RT + DLSS 2.0 and Quake 2 RTX both have sold me on RT, I want more! Mainstream adoption comes slowly in tech, look how long it took 6 cores to be normal.. are we even there yet? 4 cores is still the most common. Once everyone has the RT tech available then this debate about RT yes/no is moot. Like PhysX, that is just something that your graphics card can now do (would you buy a dedicated ray tracing card? :)).

Soldato
Are Nvidia or AMD even offering a GPU without raytracing? It's not like we can buy a 3080 without raytracing to save a few quid. This thread is irrelevant. You can either give up gaming or buy a card that has raytracing.

Soldato
One of the big hurdles is - you either need the resources to maintain two branches of the game for people who do and don't have sufficient ray tracing hardware, have a very basic looking game without ray tracing so as to avoid using newer features which would conflict with ray tracing or build the game exclusively for people with sufficient ray tracing hardware - which is pretty much Ampere upwards - which puts a lot of developers off as it stands.

Even then and as much as I hype this we still don't have a perfect solution for noise from the requirement of using denoising with lower ray counts to mimic a higher number of rays - realistically we need another generation step to have the performance for an optimal implementation there - though DLSS can help a bit there which is notably missing from Quake 2 RTX.
I'm certain if Nvidia flipped the couch cushions they could scrape together enough pocket change to afford the maintenance and development cost. They could humiliate AMD and all they need is a full path tracing AAA game out on the market, yet the incredibly competitive Nvidia haven't done it.

They could even do it for the Witcher 3 remake with their darling CDPR but that isn't the case as far as I am aware.

There is also the marbles RTX Demo that they've never released for reasons I am not aware of.

As you said maybe denoising is the issue. When I've tried low sample denoising in Blender it wipes out small details.

Soldato
I would like to try it . But do not think my RX 6800 has enough RT power to do it justice. And the only game i own that has it is Tomb raider i think?
You should be able to play Metro Exodus at 1440p max settings (avoid Hairworks and Phys X though as they cause issues) + high RT and still be around 60 FPS or more. Apparently it's one of the best in terms of RT implementation. I'm playing through myself right now on my UW monitor. I have enough grunt with the 6900 XT to play at 3440x1440 + RT or using VSR to play at 5120 x 2160 without RT. I've played about 5 hours with each of these settings but they both look great. To be honest, I don't think I could tell the difference if I got someone to pick one of the settings and not tell me which one was on!

Caporegime
I'm certain if Nvidia flipped the couch cushions they could scrape together enough pocket change to afford the maintenance and development cost. They could humiliate AMD and all they need is a full path tracing AAA game out on the market, yet the incredibly competitive Nvidia haven't done it.

A modern game with path tracing wouldn't be doable at all unless all the assets in the game were scaled down drastically to help with framerate or the environment was incredibly constrained. Could you picture something like battlefield with path tracing? Something like that is still years off.

Associate
But you can buy a 3080 or 6000 series card even if you are not interested too much in RT the same as you can buy a powerful car and never go faster than 60mph.
So even if all new cards have RT it is not a bad question. Even more since the only cards you can buy right now are some bad 1000 series cards from Nvidia and 500 series from AMD. :D
As for better RT: denoising will remain the main player for the next 10 years so RT quality will depend more on how good the denoising is than on how many rays you can cast.
In non real time they cast thousands of rays per pixel for every image. And they still use some denoising. In RT games they cast 1ray for each pixel. Think about how many more RT cores you will need to make the image more dependent on rays than on denoising. It is not something we will see in the next 10 years.

Permabanned
Are Nvidia or AMD even offering a GPU without raytracing? It's not like we can buy a 3080 without raytracing to save a few quid. This thread is irrelevant. You can either give up gaming or buy a card that has raytracing.

That's true. NVIDIA aren't about to give up on RT, so like it or not, it is here to stay. I am not sure why they are pushing it so hard when as you say we are going to get it whether we want it or not.

I wonder if there is a reason why NVIDIA are pushing rather than what they are telling us about. I wonder if RT is really the way they see their GPU architecture going in the long term.

Back
Top Bottom