• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raytracing - Would you buy in to it now?

Man of Honour
With RT on ultra and pretty much most set to high, I sit at roughly 55 fps roughly on a 2080Ti, which I was massively impressed with. There was a mission with so many people around, I had to turn RT off, as it was dropping to 15 fps at time but even with it off, I still got drops to 20 fps. The game does look sweet without RT in truth but with just makes me smile. I am old (50 next week), so maybe coming from the Amiga days and seeing the potential for RT back then, I am a little biased towards it but it is a game changer to me.

I don't doubt that it's the next big thing at all, I just want to see something powerful enough to be able to run it at native with everything maxed out in all it's glory. :)

Soldato
Not enough grunt on current cards as it is, however playing cyberpunk where the RTX features work well it does look amazing to be honest. In other games they implement it for sake of shiney stuff everywhere, but in the Cyberpunk world, it works really well and looks breathtaking IMO. I do not see the visual impact of DLSS too much IMO so may be fortunate, so for me the combo works well, the 3090 at 4k with most settings maxed and DLSS on with cyberpunk does allow me to get around 60-80 fps range which for me is fine with G-Sync. In all its making for a stunning experience with RT to be honest.

So yes, I hope RT is incorporated into games going forward, but done in a thought out fashion rather then added in to simply tick the RT box which is what I expect will happen mostly anyways. I expect by the time I replace my 3090, more games will also be out to support RT and while RT was not my top focus this gen, it has notched up the list I expect when I consider my next GPU. I think however we will always be chasing something faster, fact of matter is by the time the next gen GPU's come out which may do Cyberpunk well may be upcoming games with settings that impact the next gen GPUs in way CP2077 does to this gen.

Associate
I wouldn't buy into it just to have, but I do like having it. It is very pretty when used correctly.

Dlss is the only somewhat ok solution for enabling it though.

I agree with those who say its overused. Puddles everywhere, really?

Associate
No personally I would not buy. Don't get me wrong RT idea is very impressive but the hardware isn't there yet. That's why I went for 6800xt and so far don't regret my choice. Still in queue for 3080 and I'll definitely test it on it when it comes but I doubt I will let it cloud my current judgment. The performance hit is not acceptable at the moment. Rather play without RT and hit sub 200 fps

Soldato
is RT going to go the way ageia physx did or is it gonna stick around?
With both of the new consoles supporting RT, I'd imagine it's going to stick around.
Will be interesting to see if console games start giving the option to play with it on or off though, considering AMD's offering of RT is considerably weaker than nVidia's 2nd gen cards.

Soldato
By big concern with the RT side is that AMD are still so far behind that they would need to get 3x performance in the next RDNA3 release to keep up with what Nvidia are likely going to be doing performance wise if we look at the last performance jump and that is a huge increase in one generation. So at moment I am on an AMD card cause that is what I could get ahold of and without me wanting to use RT anyways at moment wasn't critical which as both produced pretty similar figures for rasterization performance.

AMD need to catch up with RT next gen to make it viable so that more games are produced with it because at moment it is still one sided and it will give pause to some developers with regards to it. That is without taking into account any issues we have with RT at the moment which although an improvement over generally now, it isn't that large a step at moment for the performance hit.

Associate
CP is a stunning display of RT. It’s not about looking at one light or one shadow or reflection. The world feels more natural and things look as they should. The best compliment you can give RT is that it makes things look not compromised due to technical limitations.

nvidia were very smart to combine it with dlss. DLSS quality at 3400x1400 with all settings maxed is a legitimate next generation look and the atmosphere it provides is a new benchmark for me.

Soldato
Not interested until its in every game and the massive performance hit becomes more of a negligible performance hit, certainly not paying a premium for it

I'm not convinced its the second coming of gaming that its marketed to be either, I look at screen shot comparisons and I cant tell the difference. I just finished playing Arkham Knight, a game from what, 2016? That was one graphically stunning game running between 60 and 90fps on a Vega 56 with everything on full apart from cinematic stuff which I turn off, sometimes I think these companies just engineer things to make you think you "need" them when the reality is, you just dont.

Saying all that I haven't actually played a game with Ray Tracing on but that leads me right back to not paying a premium for it, for me high settings and above 60FPS is more important

Associate
I've spent some time in Cyberpunk with and without RT and with and without DLSS and DLSS with Ray-tracing is where it is at. Haven't used DLSS much before and I really could not notice a difference using it set to quality mode in the game. I guess in fast paced games RT is not as big of a thing but as someone who likes to stop and admire the scenery in CP it is stunning.

Soldato
I’d pay it for a game that actually had some substance or perhaps a time when we had several decent games to use it on. As it stands, no, I’m not paying £700 plus for one game.

They don’t at the moment, hopefully the next gen patch releases next year.
Not true as spider man has ray tracing on ps5 and its bloody lovely :)

Granted thats only ps5 game I know that does of which I own.

I'd love a rt gpu for pc but no funds or stock for it atm

Associate
Yes deffo worth it for me- although anyone buying it is still an early adopter.

CP runs pretty well for me using the DF optimised settings @1440p on a 3060ti.

Pretty much 60 except random slow downs which seem to be more cpu related (5800x).

Associate
An interesting technology but largely box ticking. When the most expensive mainstream graphics card (3090) can't run RT at 4K running at least 60fps the technology is not there yet.

Associate
Surely all the game developers need to buy into it.
Like buying a 5g phone when it's not in your area.
Edit:
Or like buying a phone specifically for its 5g performance when 5g is not in your area is more accurate.

Soldato
With RT on ultra and pretty much most set to high, I sit at roughly 55 fps roughly on a 2080Ti, which I was massively impressed with. There was a mission with so many people around, I had to turn RT off, as it was dropping to 15 fps at time but even with it off, I still got drops to 20 fps. The game does look sweet without RT in truth but with just makes me smile. I am old (50 next week), so maybe coming from the Amiga days and seeing the potential for RT back then, I am a little biased towards it but it is a game changer to me.

Happy birthday for next week mate .

Back
Top Bottom