• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raytracing - Would you buy in to it now?

Soldato
Linus picked up on the noisy textures in CP2077 when using anything other than DLSS in quality mode - it's something I readily notice too.

Which is why I said quality mode.
Anything less than quality mode you will start to notice, but quality mode gives a big boost to fps with no noticeable IQ loss. Textures don't look washed out and it doesn't use TAA as Harlequin was incorrectly stating

Caporegime
OP
Which Amiga's?

I had both a 500 and then a 1200. xcopy was the dogs!
Haha, damned pirate and like you, I had a 500 and then a A1200. I still have my 500 in the loft. I was also a little naughty back then and used bulletin boards for downloading games and hacking 0800 numbers for the calls.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I was also a little naughty back then and used bulletin boards for downloading games and hacking 0800 numbers for the calls.

:o I was not into it that deep! ;)

I remember my brother had these strange mates that used to turn up on bicycle with rucksacks of games on them and 'swap' them. Little did they know that the extra floppy drive was flat out until they came to take them back, and the disk box was chockka full of games lol.

Man of Honour
The more I see games with ray tracing the more I think, nice, but it doesn’t add much vs the performance hit and too many developers seem to be using it as their main selling point at the cost of other features. I’m sure it’ll get there eventually and it’s probably my older age, but I just don’t notice the difference that much.

Associate
Even a somewhat older game like bf5 is iffy with dlss at 4k with ray tracing. Watched a vid last night where it was around 70fps average with rt+dlss but was hitching\micro stuttering a few times, and with dlss off the framerate tanked hard to the 30 fps range. Was on one of the more foliage dense maps so might well have performed better in other maps.

He had Vsync on which might not help with stuttering. Apparently Battlefield V isn't really getting updates these days (been out for a while) and doesn't have DLSS 2.0 support, only DLSS 1.0 which might explain the DLSS issue. (I guess that opens a separate can of worms).

RTX / ray tracing is only ever as good as the how the devs implement it, its early days. Battlefield V should have had more RTX lighting and shadows than reflections imo as there is less need for reflections (beyond puddles and glass) in those maps. We need a few games that have RTX in mind from when they first began development I think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DLSS_support
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_ray_tracing_support

Last edited:
Associate
I think the raytracing is just like when 3d TVs came out. None asked for it, but all the manufacturers pushed it hard to justify its presence...
In the end few people showed any interest, so the manufacturers gave up on it. A bit like curved TV... when they first came out most manufacturers had them as top end models... they haven't been that popular with less uptake than predicted, so classic flatscreens still dominate the market.

Associate
Microprose Formula one, Robocop 3 bring back some fond memories of the Amiga days and playing at 10 fps :D
Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix on the A500, another 10fps if you were lucky. Used to love playing it at my friends house with him and his dad, multiplayer full race weekend. The horror of watching the AI take control of your car and plough it into a wall... Now the leap from that to the later textured versions was amazing at the time.

Associate
+1 Amiga peep. Right up until Fidonet BBS and early internet days. I bought a CRT a few months ago for the full old school effect on my Pi emu (and soon MiSTer). Yup they were pushing the envelope running 3D games on those :)

I think RTX should be a new shiny toy devs get to use. "Wanna see my massive new shiny tool in my toolbox, kids?" should be the nvidia tagline for RTX. I think I'll pitch that to them ;)

Associate
Thanks watching, and can I just say that it annoys me that the devs go to great lengths that they RTX the **** out of everything and don't bother to include the player character model in the reflections. That needs to be fixed.

If they can do it in Deus Ex in 2000 in the bathroom they can do it today :)

Caporegime
Thanks watching, and can I just say that it annoys me that the devs go to great lengths that they RTX the **** out of everything and don't bother to include the player character model in the reflections. That needs to be fixed.

It's an nvidia sponsored game so they likely had some "persuasion" to chuck in some rt effects. Pretty half assed it has to be said if the character doesn't reflect. Though going by the talk online it's a buggy unfinished mess at best, 8 years in development and released in that state.

Soldato
Would you choose one console over another if it only had one game that you like?

I think devs get paid to include RTX. Nvidia even helps implement it. A nice cash injection for a software development house who otherwise wouldn't see their first payday until after the game is complete.

Associate
I'll be getting a 3070 or 8- anyway to drive my QHD as close to 144Hz as poss. Can't not turn it on to see what I can see under those conditions...

Associate
Not sure it’ll be up to consumers really as it makes life so much easier for the devs/artists. They don’t have to spend countless hours manually fudging scenes to get the lighting/shadows looking realistic.
Right now they’re having to do it both ways. As soon as they can get away with using rt alone I reckon games will start looking worse and worse with it off as they no longer put the man hours into making scenes look right without it.

Associate
I got lucky and have managed to get a 3070 FE coming soon. If Cyberpunk had been minus the issues I would have gone all out 3080. I think CD Projekt RED broke even on day 1 of release, so really its just time that they need to fix all these issues, lets see how that goes!

Associate
Time for RT is now.
It's the new AA.
Hardware is here as well as support.

Too bad AMDs offering is one gen behind. Nothing to be ashamed of. But game has moved on.

Cyberpunk just made it official.

Associate
Not sure it’ll be up to consumers really as it makes life so much easier for the devs/artists. They don’t have to spend countless hours manually fudging scenes to get the lighting/shadows looking realistic.
Right now they’re having to do it both ways. As soon as they can get away with using rt alone I reckon games will start looking worse and worse with it off as they no longer put the man hours into making scenes look right without it.
Yeah agree with this. Rather than spending a ton of time faking it. We just need more RT cores and even better DLSS. Both of which I'm sure will come, as Nvidia want to keep pushing forward ahead of AMD on that front.

Back
Top Bottom