RC Planes

Soldato
Created so I don't fill the RC Helicopters thread with unrelated chit chat.

Moving my post to here - hopefully arknor will follow. :D

Looking to get started with some kind of plane from Hobby King... advice or chat related to RC Planes welcome. :cool:

Soldato
OP
(From other thread)

Cheers, aknor. Much appreciated.

I don't like the idea of it being virtually unrepairable. Probably only last 5 minutes in that case.

What about something like the HobbyKing J3 Cub?

Or the L-4 Grasshopper 1400mm EPO (PNF)

Or this? The Piper J3 Cub 1400mm EPO (PNF)

With the last one, when it says I need to get the Transmitter and Receiver, what receiver would I need to purchase?

I think I'll go for the last one. It's big, which is cool, and is apparently easy to handle. It's also at their German warehouse which means cheaper shipping.

Unless you recommend otherwise. :p

EDIT: Also, having to place orders seperately because some items are from the German warehouse and some aren't, is doing my head in.

EDIT 2: And then also, you can't order batteries with a large plane at the same time!! I am going to explode!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Associate
If your getting started id recommend getting something like one of the ready to fly parkzone planes. Can be had around the 100 quid is mark maybe a little more. Easy to learn on and take a crash pretty well.

Caporegime
With the last one, when it says I need to get the Transmitter and Receiver, what receiver would I need to purchase?
same time!! I am going to explode!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
spektrum dx5 like i said in the other thread (gives you a spare channel so you can add a smoke generator or something cool and its only a few quid more than a 4channel verison)
http://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk..._(Mode_2)_5_Ch_DSMX_Tx_Only/product_info.html

and this reciever http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11965
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11965
you can also plug this in to the reciever to extend the range
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__13418__OrangeRx_R100_Satellite_Receiver.html
so you might aswell :p

or just get this reciever http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17621
that is good for atleast 1.5miles acording to the comments

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Never got this far but once had a go at control line flying. Remote control by wire. :D. I will follow this with interest as I might take it. :)

Just done some digging and even the CAA have a guide to safe model flying:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP658.PDF

A few questions:

I presume it's ok to fly in places like Richmond Park?

Do you guys belong to clubs?

Associate
From your list I like the last one, the piper cub.
Batteries can be had from loads of places including ebay.

The dx 5 should do for you now and for other planes in the future. The orange receiver is pretty good as well. I don't think you need 1.5 mile range, you wouldn't be able to see the plane by then!

simulatorman said:
I presume it's ok to fly in places like Richmond Park?
there is only 1 place you can fly in richmond parkRichmond park flying field
It's a bit of a grey area about where you can fly. Some councils refuse altogether, some have areas that it is allowed and some have no policy at all.
You may want to look into insurance just in case!

Caporegime
what he says above

British Model Flying Association
http://www.bmfa.org/

btw the national trust do not allow model flight on any of the areas they look after without permission, so any of their staff will tell you to do one.

your not allowed to fly on parks without permission either but i'd just do it and see if you get told to do one :p

aslong as your out of the way i doubt theres a problem

Last edited:
Man of Honour
there is only 1 place you can fly in richmond park Richmond park flying field

It's a bit of a grey area about where you can fly. Some councils refuse altogether, some have areas that it is allowed and some have no policy at all.
You may want to look into insurance just in case!

I know that area as I regularly walk in the park. Not seen flyers for a long time but it's because I’m usually there in the afternoon or far too early for them to be around. I suppose that now I don’t have an excuse for not having a go.

Associate
I know that area as I regularly walk in the park. Not seen flyers for a long time but it's because I’m usually there in the afternoon or far too early for them to be around. I suppose that now I don’t have an excuse for not having a go.

They even do try it days! :)
You might find you have to become a member of their club before you can fly on your own, you will definitely have to be able to show insurance first though BMFA is probably your best bet.

Soldato
I just received my first RC plane today! It's one of these.

The Clouds Fly or AXN Floater Jet

£45 shipped (from Hobby King's German warehouse), plus about £20 worth (from Hobby King's hong kong warehouse) of electronics. I already have radio gear and batteries as I'm a fairly seasoned RC helicopter pilot and use a DX8 radio and have a spare receiver.

Unfortunately, Hobby King were out of stock for the kit until yesterday, so I'd already ordered one and paid £90 for the same thing including lesser electronics from a UK company, who took 4 days to post the thing. I still have the electronics on order, so I can swap them out when they arrive.

I'd recommend a computer radio for any radio controlled flight, so if you can't stretch to at least a DX6i or equivalent, I'd honestly go for the Turnigy 9X/flysky radio, even if it's just a temporary thing until you get hooked and are willing to spend a bit more. You really need a computer radio for things like elevons, flaperons and v-tails, not to mention any mixes you might want to set up.

As for park flying, then you need to read your local byelaws. In Sheffield, there is no prohibition on electric flight in any of the parks, just fuel, jet or rocket powered is restricted to about 6 sites. But then again, the rules were last updated in the 1960s, so that stands to reason. I believe you're also allowed to fly on "common land", whatever that means. I'll certainly be flying this plane in my local park, because the wings aren't removable (unless you modify it), which makes it too big to transport along with my helis.

BMFA insurance is a good idea, and so is joining a club. Honestly, I find the banter down the club as enjoyable as the flying.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It covers injuries to third parties, and damage to their property, up to £10m. That's the main point of it.

There are also payouts if you're permanently injured by your model.

The primary insurance cover provided by the BMFA for its members is Third Party Civil Liability.
This covers you, the flyer, against any civil liabilities you may incur during your model flying activities. Note that, as with any other third party insurance, this is NOT an automatic cover for the ‘injured party’. The person insured is the flyer.
In addition, a ‘no fault’ personal accident insurance covering permanent disablement is included.
sounds like its not?

Soldato
OP
Okey dokey, I've just ordered me a plane. :D

FPV Raptor Composite, 1600mm wingspan
Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A BalanCER/CHARGER W/ ACCESSORIES
12V 5A 110/240V 50/60Hz Power Supply
OrangeRx R100 Satellite Receiver
OrangeRx R610 Spektrum DSM2 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver (w/ Sat Port)
Hobby King 2.4Ghz 4Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 2)

Hopefully I've understood what you said, arknor. I went for a cheap receiver that's only 4 channels, but it was only $22 rather than £45. Also need to get me some batteries, but I'll have to do that separately as you can get batteries shipped in a box big enough to hold the plane - some air traffic safety law.

Pretty chuffed though. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Caporegime
It says it in the first line of your quote:

Third party civil liability.

@Alexthecheese: those orangrx receivers you've ordered don't work with that transmitter. They're dsm2 receivers, for use with spektrum transmitters. The good news is that the transmitter comes with its own receiver, so you can use that.

says on in the handbook you arent required to have insurance unless the model weights over 7kg or whatever it was, some clubs force you to be a bmfa member though

Soldato
Don't you require bmfa to fly around people? It's been a long time since I flew RC planes but I can remember something to that effect. Maybe you needed to pass something but I can't remember what it is.

Caporegime
Don't you require bmfa to fly around people? It's been a long time since I flew RC planes but I can remember something to that effect. Maybe you needed to pass something but I can't remember what it is.

no there is no legal requirement to be a member of the BMFA they are not a governing body.

the laws are from
The Air Navigation Order (ANO)

and nealy all of them are only concerning Small unmanned surveillance aircraft, noise levels or models that weight over 20kg on take off which are counted as "aircraft" and not models
its all here
http://www.bmfa.org/handbook/HandbookWebVersion2012.pdf
goto page 15
the only mandatory model insurance is here
3) Mandatory Model Flying Insurance
It is a legal requirement in the UK that all models over 20 kg maximum take off mass (MOTM) must carry at least £750,000 third party public liability insurance.
This obviously applies to all models over 20kg dry, which are covered by CAA exemption certificates. However, it also applies to those models under 20kg which do not need an exemption certificate but which are taken over 20kg when fuelled for flight.
unless your models is over 20kg on take off , makes tons of noise (nitro/petrol/turbine) or has a camera for aerial surveilance your good to go (cameras for recreational use are fine)

all the BMFA stuff is only guidelines, ANO and bylaws are all that count

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom